I showed Re-animator to a group of my friends & they HATED it!

Discussion in 'General' started by Peter Vincent, May 19, 2004.

1. Can You believe that sh*t! Check this out!

A group of pals + my 2 sisters & their boyfriends came over to hang this past Saturday & they wanted to see a horror flick. My sisters know my extensive horror collection and wanted to see Demons 2 which they HAVE seen (plus we saw the 1st one about a month ago).

Well, no one in the group had seen the 1st Re-animator so I insisted we watch it (with a fair warning about it being a low-budget 80's flick).

Well, with the exception of one of my sister's boyfriends, they all hated it. 2 of my buds fell asleep watching it. My sister's damned me for putting on such crap instead of Demons 2.

Odd, as my sis's usually share my taste in horror! Needless to say I was just a little hurt by all this! I honestly thought they were gonna N-joy it. These are the same group of pals that I introduced the likes of Evil Dead, Dead Alive, Demons, Texas Chainsaw (new and old) and many others!

Ah, f*ck it, I just felt like ranting about it since its a little slow here at work. Anyone else share my pals' opinion?

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

They're not your friends. Your friends are dead. Run while you still can, before the aliens take you, too!

3. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Really, I run into the same dilema you have. I only have a few friends who like horror and I hardly ever see them. They are a group of people that I used to work with and have a hardcore love for the horror genre.
    The majority of my friends really dont like the movies consider "classic" like Re-Animator and Evil Dead. My best friend loves horror and he's the one that goes to all the conventions with me and has any real knowlege of horror. His gf is a horror nut also so he got quite lucky there. So I know who I can have a good horror conversation with and who I am wasting my time with.
    I get to the point that I don't even try converting my mainstream friends.

4. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I only have about 2 friends that really like the stuff that I do. There is another guy, but he is kinda mehh about the whole thing, he will watch em and enjoy em, but never watch em again.
    There is this girl too, but she is away at school and I haven't heard from her in awhile, but she really enjoyed Killer Klowns from Outer Space and a bunch of other alien movies I let her borrow once. :)

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

My roommate and her brother didn't like Re-Animator, but my GF fucking loved it.
    My GF has liked almost every movie I've shown her, except for Henry POASK (too slow for her) and maybe a few others (she wasn't too impressed with Halloween, but then again she likes the gore!) :banana: .
    As for my roommate, she's more into mainstream shit and just loved the Texas Chainsaw remake, but hated such classics as Freddy V Jason and Jason X :confused: .
    I went camping with her brother last summer, and brought along Army Of Darkness since he had a vcr in the van. He said that was the only movie he ever walked out of in the theater, but he liked it when we rolled the tape (maybe it was the mushrooms and beer :glasses: ).
    Just never know what any one person may or may not like, and I think it depends on mood as well.

6. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

They liked Demons 2 but not the Re-Animator? OK :rolleyes:

7. b0nkers

b0nkers Guest

my thoughts exactly. Demons 2 fucking sucks!

8. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan Member

Maybe RE-ANIMATOR was just something there were not expecting. You said they wanted to see a horror film. Maybe they wanted something SCARY because I do think that most mainstream people think HORROR MOVIE = SCARY and we all know that there are horror films that ARE horror films but are not scary in the "traditional" sense.

I love RE-ANIMATOR and think it is a kick ass film but it's not scary in that "traditional" way and if that was what they were looking for I could see how it could have "thrown them for a loop" as the saying goes.

Still though that doesn't show them to be very adaptable so take that for what's it worth hehehe

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

9. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Ahhh, I have fond memories of discovering this flick a few years back. I remember renting it, then re-renting it, then buying the video store copy off the guy for like $30 (this was back when OOP copies of the VHS were going for $50+ on e-bay). It was the first film I got obsessed with, and is single handedly responsible for igniting my love for the genre (I'd always been a fan of horror, but RE-ANIMATOR made me a fanatic). It still holds up to this day, and I consider it to be the greatest horror comedy ever made... Great performance by Jeffrey Combs...

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

My girlfriend is the same way. She's liked all the horror movies I've shown her. I'm quite happy with her, what guy can complain about a girl who will watch The Evil Dead, Dressed to Kill, and Return of the Living Dead one after the other and ask for more? I know I ain't. :)

11. betterdan

betterdan Guest

My gf puts up with my movies and likes quite a few but none of my friends here like them unless they are newer than 1990 :rolleyes:

McGrim the only thing better than having a girl watch horror movies one after another and ask for more is having sex multiple times and her screaming for more. Just thought I'd throw that in.

12. Revoltor

Revoltor Guest

Show them Return of the Living Dead.

If they hate it, poison them and bury their bodies in your back yard. They were worthless to begin with.

13. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    A lot of us are in that same boat. That's why I have to enjoy most horror flicks by myself. My workmate does like horror a lot and classics like Reanimator, but he's not as "hard core" as most of us. A lot of the extreme ones, or ones most would consider goofy, he wouldn't get into. And he's not as much a fan of the Euro stuff as I am, so I just end up watching it myself. Not enough of you guys in close proximity for us to have a get together, which would totally ROCK!

14. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Guest

You need some better friends. I'm only kidding of course. I'm lucky enough to have almost all my friends be into horror films. Only a couple of them get into it as much as me, but they all watch any if I suggest them. They are all very open to films and generally like the types of films I like.

I feel so lucky to have found so many friends willing to put up with my addiction.

15. Yeah, weird right? Both have Gore and have a classic 80s feel to them (kinda). Most of them fell asleep anyway, so I think they're misjudging the movie!

And for the record, most of them N-joy Return of the Living Dead! I've introduced them to a whole slew of horror they've never seen, some off the wall ones I can think of are Idle Hands, The Eye, House By The Cemetary, Dagon and another Jeffrey Comb vehicle: Castle Freak.

Ah, go figure! I guess it just gets me that someone can fall asleep through 30%-60% of a movie and call it "crap" because it supposedly "put them to sleep"!

Personally, I've never slept through a movie, no matter how bad or boring...correction....only one (Johnny Nemonic...don't know why, just did).

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Wish I could say I've never slept through a movie, but "Blair Witch" bored me into zzzz's, even while getting a hand-job in the theater. :nervous:
    That's about as bad as a movie can possibly get!
    Other than that, I've dozed off countless times watching shit on cable late at night. Sometimes movies will keep me up, but if I'm tired it has to be good to do the trick. Only the one time in a theater though, and that includes when I was a kid.

17. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Only one I've fell asleep at at the theater was Deadtime Stories.

18. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I fell asleep watching "Fallen" in a theater once.
    Not because it was boring but because it was our second movie we watched that evening, right after "Jackie Brown".
    Was kinda beat :(

19. Demon

Demon Don't Fuck With Dolly!

ditch em, you don't need friends that don't like Re-animator!!

20. tyuun

tyuun New Member

Re-Animator did nothing for me. I didn't love it.