I wanna watch NEW YORK RIPPER

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Andrew, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

For some reason I have a strange desire to watch NEW YORK RIPPER again. I honestly didn't think much of it the first time around (thought AB's video quality was kinda shitty too), but I've had it itching in my brain. Anyone ever get this feeling? Oh yeah and anyone else think it's overrated? Or am I gonna pick something "new" up on a second viewing?

Must...see...Donald Duck...decapitate...hookers.......

2. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I didn't think a whole hell of a lot of it my first time Andy, but I've since watched it at least two more times, and I think it does "get better".

3. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

i have that feeling with movies sometimes. i had it recently with Guinea Pig: The Devils Experiment

i think NY Ripper is great, and i dont feel its overrated at all, now ZOMBIE... THATS overrated :)

4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Weird Jeff, how many times you seen ZOMBIE? First time, bleh, I hated it. Didn't see at all what the fuss was about. Second time, I fucking loved it. I honestly don't know why I didn't like it at first, but it definitely is one of my favorites now. Hell, if you have good eyes you can see that the middle guy in my avatar is wearing a ZOMBIE shirt. But yeah, it's weird how movies work like that. So basically, if you haven't seen it a second time, you definitely should :).

5. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

ive seen Zombie quite a few times, and no doubt its a good movie, i just think its overrated also

6. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

For some reason, I didn't like <B>Zombie</B> when I first watched it and now I love it. I too have no idea why I didn't like it the first time. The same thing happened with <B>Manhattan Baby</B> - I know people generally don't like it, but I love it. I've only seen <B>The New York Ripper</B> once and didn't really like it, but now I'm wondering if I should check it out again....

7. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I didn't like Zombie a lot the first time, but now, really love it. I didn't think much of NY Ripper either, but that, I haven't watched a second time yet.

8. lars wearing a zombie t-shirt, thats cool. I prefer the picture on the back of 'the unseen' record, it shows the lead singer with the little girl zombie from night of the living dead (original)in black and white with notld underneath it sown to a leather jacket.

9. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I was impressed with New York Ripper...I thought it was a decent giallo and a far better film than I had been led to believe.

I've seen Zombie once (a friend gave me his unviewed LD last year) and wasn't too impressed. I will definitely give this film a second spin as many movies grow on me on repeat viewings.

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Never seen that pic, but it sounds cool.

NYR was pretty good. I still don't like it THAT much, but significantly more-so than the first time. Wonder what repeated viewings will do for Fulci flicks I already like.....hmm :D.

11. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Its strange, Argento was easily accessable, I loved them all the first go... Now I could do without them. I didn't like Fulci the first time I saw his work, but now I love it. I'll give NY Ripper another chance.

12. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Fulci is funny that way, the more you see his movies, the more you like them.:D

13. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

I liked NYR from the start, but I agree it is overrated, more of a guilty pleasure than a genuine pleasure.

But I have to agree, too, that Fulci's movies grow on you that way.

14. CJ

CJ Guest

If you're able to play PAL discs, I would highly recommend getting the Italian Shock DVD of The New York Ripper. It is infinitely superior to the AB disc and comes with the complete soundtrack included as an extra on the disc!

15. I hope so... I hate, hate, hate The Beyond. I'd seen it as a kid and completely didnt remember it; picked up the AB disc and thought it was horrible. I honestly dont know what all the hype is about.

Liked Zombie the first time I saw it. Years later pick up the AB vhs (gift) and kinda liked it less and less.

New York Ripper does get better with a second viewing. Once you are over the whole Donald Duck thing (which ruins the film) you realize just how good a "killer on the loose" flick it is. Sadistic killings, neat detective, great finale. I love the AB disc, especailly since I got it for $2.99 brand spanking new ar Sam Goody's.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2002
  16. Andrew

Andrew Guest

CJ - No PAL abilities :(. I'll live though.

And here's my review, if anyone's interested.

17. CJ

CJ Guest

Not to worry, I was just trying to be helpful and ended up not being of any help at all! :rolleyes:

The AB disc is okay though, I'm not saying it's not. But the PAL disc is much better (especially for me living in the UK having mostly PAL compatible gear). Hopefully there'll be a remastered R1 SE at some point though, in which case I'll probably upgrade again.

Good review too!

18. stevehorror

stevehorror New Member

the itailan shock dvd is missing about 2 mins of footage though.

19. CJ

CJ Guest

Most of it is that freeze frame (which should really have been midway through the film, it signalled the intermission and indicated that he was still a suspect) at the end of the AB DVD.

I compared the two discs side by side and didn't really notice any difference between them except for what I just mentioned.

20. rhett

rhett Administrator

I saw NYR for the first time today, and truth be told I was quite let down. I found it to be quite misogynistic, almost in DEVIL'S EXPERIMENT territory. Basically, none of the victims are really given any character development, and the way Fulci presents the deaths borders on exploitation. The scene where that guy rapes the woman with his toe was pretty damn mean-spirited. Considering how well he handled women in DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING, this was somewhat hard to digest.

Woman cruelty aside, the story had some good moments. The finale was thankfully entertaining and had some nice twists. The whole motive for the Donald Duck voice was pretty neat too, I thought. The cinematography was a step down from Fulci's usual work, but there was one shot I thought was great. After that girl from the live sex show was killed, you see the killer's shadow exit, and the shot just rings Argento. The room is laced in green, and the door frame casts a metaphoric red halo over the now dead woman. Not entirely original, but pretty cool nonetheless.

NYR was a little tough to digest, but overall it was just decent for me. It could have been a lot better in my opinion, but it wasn't a complete loss.