I Was a Teenage Werewolf / Frankenstein

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, May 5, 2007.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I caught these back to back on either TCM or AMC, when they were good, many moons ago and found them to be very entertaining. I caught the end of Werewolf again when it was on MST3K too, back on the Sci-Fi channel I believe. As goofy as they are there's certainly a charm about them and with their brisk pace they stay interesting. Frankenstein makes kind of a beef cake out of the monster too, so I'm sure that helped get the ladies in the mood for some back seat action at the drive-ins. These two remain iconic in my mind of typical drive-in trash, there's probably no other movie I'd want to see more when sitting in a hot rod.

The follow ups How to Make a Monster and Horrors of the Black Museum have both been out for awhile now, yet neither Werewolf or Frankenstein have made it to DVD in any region. Even crappy knock offs like Frankenstein's Daughter have made it to DVD. Is it just too obvious of an idea to put these out as a double feature for Halloween?

2. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

lionsgate has released how to make a monster on a two feature dvd with blood of dracula as the second feature.

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I'd like to see these two films. I watched "How to Make a Monster" the other day and got me interested for the previous films. Does Lionsgate own the rights to these?

4. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I'd love to see those on DVD. Haven't seen either since I was a little kid in the 70's.

5. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Yeah,I'd like to see those too. Now that Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman is coming out and I want to start watching all nighters of these great black and white drive in greats.

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Eggggselent films

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I just watched Werewolf last night, it had been so long I'd forgotten it was an evil scientist that did it to him. It was really built just like a school room documentary from that era, funny to think that not only did teens pay to see a standard "adjust and control your hormones" teacher's aid padded out and wrapped in a horror packaged they lapped it all up as well.

I also decided to look up the girl gymnast and lo' and behold she was the Playboy Playmate of the Month for May 1957, Werewolf came out June of that year. I'm sure that made quite an impression for many and sold either a few more tickets or a few more issues I'm sure.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I watched Blood of Dracula and it's basically "I Was a Teenage Bride of Dracula." They had the mad science through hypnosis identical to the Werewolf one. There's barely any discernable point to the "science experiment" behind it and therefore not much plot development of it either.

Even still there's just enough silly dopey fun to be had by all. The sexual subtexts alone are worth snickering about. I needed to drink more booze to get it all going along smooth but still fun.

9. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

X-Human That evil scientist,Whit Bissell was like a staple of these films,wasnt he? fun schlock all around.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, both I Was a Teenage flicks feature him but he played a good warm hearted scientist in Creature From the Black Lagoon first; giving Julia Adams sound advice about life and love. Then the Gill-man sliced him all up. After that that he became more machine than man, twisted and evil.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I watched How to Make a Monster and it was surprisingly more violent than the pretty tame Blood For Dracula made just the year before. What a difference a year makes. Interestingly the most brutal attack wasn't by the Wolfman or Frankenstein monster. I wonder if censors objected more harshly to "monster" attacks and since they weren't really monsters in this movie this could slip through?

Unfortunately it looks like the real genius behind this movie either didn't work or wasn't thought up, which is of course the Wolfman fighting The Monster. The plot is that they're a film crew making Teenage Wolfman Vs. Teenage Frankenstein. There's a perfect set up to see them fight, and they don't let it play out. Lack of budget? Lack of foresight? I don't know, but kinda stupid and brings down an otherwise very good movie.

I think if they paid for some stunt men to rumble in monster suits instead of color footage to do the fire sequence in the final two reels it would have been a much more solid monster movie.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Amoktime is putting out an action figure of Nancy Perkins, the teenage vampire from Blood of Dracula:

http://www.amoktime.com/detail.asp?product_id=er02182&subcat=726

The graphics say, "Pending Licensor Approval," so I'm a little suspicious if it'll ever see the light of day. Hopefully this is a good sign that the AIP catalog has some life left in it yet.