Ichi the killer

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by DeathDealer, Feb 8, 2003.

1. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I just picked up the region 1 Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock Ichi the Killer:SE today. Man I have been wanting this DVD a loooooong time. I'll post my thoughts on this release later. And yes I'm aware that the 2 disc Dutch release is more packed with goodies but alas I'm not region free so this will do me just fine.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Hey Savinifan - where are those comments? :D

There are so many threads on Ichi, I randomly decided to post comments here.

I finally watched this over the weekend, although I've owned it for ages. I love Miike's work, though he obviously varies a lot in quality. He's never boring. Ichi isn't boring either, it has some style for sure.

I've got to tell you though, I really didn't like it all that much. I can't fathom why (not very useful I know), but the violence did nothing for me, and the I actually found myself getting a tad bored. Now sure, I'd watched Begotten an hour beforehand, maybe that just kills the power of Ichi, I don't know. At the moment this goes down into the "overrated" file. It's not terrible by any means, but it doesn't deserve its reputation. Another viewing would certainly help I suppose.

Oh, and the SS release in R1 - which is cheap enough - is quite poor. I know better versions are out there, I went R1 for convenience/price. That was a bit of a mistake. It's too dark, with poor colors.

For added hilarity - switch to the english dub :lol:

3. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

HAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm hoping his thoughts are pretty good, considering the fact that he spent 3 years writing them. :banana:

I want good insight, yeah hear? :D

4. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

How does the prequel ICHI-1 plays? I heard it wasn't as good as the first one.

5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I wonder how good the transfer will be. Anyone bother to pick up Dead Riot or Flesh of the Beast on Blu-ray from these guys?

7. geeare

geeare Guest

ICHI comes to blu this Tuesday. I'm stoked. I have never seen this flick. I became a fan of the genre a couple years ago around the time i got my PS3 so I've been waiting for Blu releases.

8. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

I hope its a great Blu-disc. Gonna be one of the first Miike films to get such a release, excluding DJANGO.

9. geeare

geeare Guest

I'm really looking forward to this but unfortunately i prolly won't find this in my town.

10. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I'm not too trustworthy of Media Blasters' ability to not screw this up. Has anyone seen their other (few) BD releases?

11. geeare

geeare Guest

YUP, looks like it's going the way of the others. Amazon now has a release date of Aug.11/09. shittay :fuck:

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yep it's been confirmed:
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=1767723&postcount=17

I hope it's a good sign that they're trying to get the best possible release they can. Course most of it is probably out of their control.