Ikea DVD Shelving + Moving Tips

Discussion in 'General' started by Novosibirsk, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Whelp! This is my first move in eight years, and the vast majority of my DVDs and Blu's are from the last eight years...so this will be interesting.

I'm throwing out my old shitty shelf that held a TON of DVDs but is slowly disintegrating. Can anyone suggest a shelving unit that works for them from IKEA? I've perused the site but haven't really found a match.

The final question I have for you all is the dreaded double dips. The sheer magnitude of this move is finally dawning on me and I'm going through a purge. Do you folks keep the duplicates of DVDs and Blu Rays that you have doubles of?

For instance, I have a double disc collector's DVD of the Fly which has featurettes that the Blu doesn't have. Realistically I will NEVER watch them again, but the collector in me wants 'em...which is stupid. Any thoughts from my fine HD.com compatriots? I know I will be buying more DVDs etc in the future and would like to slim down the old collection, if only to make more room for new titles, but it is so bloody hard.

2. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Does Ikea still make "Billys?" I've got a shitload of those. Buy extra shelves and you are set.

3. rijir

rijir Member

Don't trust the IKEA website. I was looking for some CD/DVD shelves and every single one said "not sold in stores" or "Not sold at your location". But when I got there they had tons of them in stock. Even the staff told me not to trust the site.

4. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Haha, fair enough. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Marshall for the Billy idea. They look like they might work, although there are literally a 12 different variants.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I believe that these are the wooden units I bought and have moved them at least eight times. The downside is trying to box-and-unload them in proper order.

6. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

What do people do about the double dips though? :eek:

7. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Billy bookcases do hold a ton of DVDs, particularly if you put one row behind another (can't see 'em, but they fit nicely).

I'm just in the process of weeding out a ton of unwanted DVDs, and the bottom line is don't expect to get much for them. I think I've gotten rid of about 500 or so, and have averaged about $2-3 per disk. Common titles I traded in at Amazon (now they offer maybe 5 cents each), or sold locally to used stores for a dollar or two each. Less common disks and non-region 1 disks I've sold on ebay, and done pretty well, but the fees are high. I've done the best with low starting bids ($1) and letting the market decide. Sometimes I make more than I expected to and sometimes I make space on my shelf for $1.

8. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Case by case basis, my man. If you think you might regret selling it later, you probably will.

9. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

It's a tough call. Marshall Crist says it best - go on a case by case basis. Also consider how hard it would be to replace something if you do get rid of it but decide you want it again later. Most DVDs aren't worth much but some of those "rare" editions still fetch decent prices.

I'm struggling to thin out my collection as well. Amazing how quickly a one-bedroom apartment can fill up. It is frustrating that not all new editions of a given title allow you to get rid of the old version. And the anal-obsessive in me also finds it annoying to have a mix of blu ray and DVD on one shelf so I often hold on to the DVD just to have the shelf look neater. (The "Halloween" movies, for example. The new bluray box set will solve that but there are other instances.)

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I've bought a few amaray blu-ray double cases at a local store. Something like this

[​IMG]
    If I own a DVD with super-special extras/versions the blu-ray doesn't have I just include it to the new case.

11. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

I've been making my own combo packs like that for a few years now. Word of advice: store the unused DVD cases rather than throw them out so you can un-combo pack them for selling in the future. I always ended up regretting throwing the cases and artwork away eventually...

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

This was a lot easier to do when Best Buy did Upgrade and Save. I kept disc 2 of From Hell, Species and a few other dvds I upped to blu, and then got $5 for the first disc and cover at BB.:banana:

Now that's over, I would suggest just dubbing the features disc and then selling the full dvd set. I do this for everything except when a commentary is missing, the packaging is too cool, or the sell offer is too low. In those cases I just keep the dvd.

13. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

same here... I was storing my DVDs in one of the plastic folder/wallets you can buy (stupidly threw out the original DVD cases (kept all the inlays etc)... so recently when I decided to have a purge had to re-buy DVD cases... made a profit so things worked out well :)

Managed (for the first time) to fit all Blu/DVDs in my cupboard now (all in cases)... Now to start on my music collection... that's an even bigger mountain of around 600 discs. :nervous:

14. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

What I'm doing with some of the movies, is that I purchased CD slim line cases, over 600 of them, and I'm going to put some movies in them, and I can get 2 slime line cases into what is equilvant to one CD. I don't sell much of my movies and I own over 600, and a few complete series that I don't like how they have the series organized, and I have purchased CD organizers cheap.

15. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I've tried my best not to double dip on DVDs or Blu-rays. So far I haven't that much. Maybe only a few multiples. I keep them because they have something I like. Even if it's a simple cover or extra feature. I've heard of trading for other titles at retailers but it's usually at certain times of the year. Not all the time. Cash back value is usually a joke so I wouldn't even consider that.

16. rijir

rijir Member

The last time I was at IKEA they had some CD/DVD storage units that I had not seen before. Rather than tall they were wide and had adjustable shelves. The ones they had out were black. One unit had 2 doors on the bottom. I just checked the website and I couldn't find them (of course). You may just want to go there and really take a good look around. I wish I could remember the name.

Earlier this year I just made myself a storage shelf out of pine and stained it black to match the IKEA stuff I already have. Spent around $250 and it holds nearly 550 DVDs. It is 7 feet tall by 3 feet wide.

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

You can definitely make some cool storage combinations. I think what I did was put a Billy in the middle and the sides I wanna say were called Bankos or something?

[​IMG]

18. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Damn I like that a lot! Looks great.

19. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Yeah it can be disheartening bringing in a stack of once-loved DVDs you paid $20 (sometimes more or less) for back in the day to maybe get $1-2 bucks if you're lucky.

That Ikea shelf sounds ideal! I will keep an eye out when I go to my local Ikea in a couple months time. Also it's cool that people are thinking outside the box and making stuff themselves, I unfortunately have zero to no skill in that department. ;)

Oh man, I am dreading going to Ikea though...that place drives me crazy, the sensory overload of it all. And people walking slow as fuck, when all I want to do is grab my item and get out. Lol.

20. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Go early and get the cheap breakfast. Then you'll be ready to hit the floor as soon as it opens :)