Ils/Them.

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by gothg33k, May 4, 2011.

1. gothg33k

gothg33k New Member

Anyone checked out Ils (Them)?

It's a French film set in Hungary. Really good stuff.
    The ending is so so, but the first half of the movie is really tense...

2. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I caught this on Film 4 in the UK. Probably one of the weaker entries from the new wave french horror scene but still watchable.

Welcome to the boards!

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

If it's French...

it's shit.

But I actually caught this. It's shit. The first 20 or 30-something minutes were promising, however.

4. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Nice one... American right?

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

There's a substantial thread on this film here already:

http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=33605&highlight=ils

I personally really enjoyed it. I didn't care for the ending--at all--which does drop it a notch. But I thought it was great until the big reveal. The characters are real and likeable, the claustrophobic setting is used to maximum effect, and it's paced perfectly. Once it gets rolling it keeps you on the edge of your seat for a long time.

6. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

This is a great film.I bought the region 2 Metrodome dvd.

sean

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

:lol:

I'm not talking war, food, or politics here- I'm talking horror. The French don't know shit about how to make horror films. I've seen them fail more than half a dozen times (and I only bothered with the most hyped up flicks)- they believe having their characters be stupid and generic helps their faux-intensity. Almost all of which is mugging / trying to sponge off of previous 70's classics like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Argento's films, Last House on the Left, etc.

I completely disagree. The second we realize there are invaders in the house, we see the hoods and shoes of some punks running around. Therefore, of course, not a huge surprise that it turns out to be children at the end since the only other people it could have been were teenagers or 20-somethings trying to look hip. All it has is the occasional thrusting moment like the blade through the keyhole. Otherwise, it's just another typical chase-oriented survival horror film. Complete with torture chamber, no-escape finale.

8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I had heard a lot of good things about this film too so I was quite disappointed when I finally watched the DVD. There have however been many horror films made in France that are worthwhile:

Baby Blood
    Brotherhood of the Wolf
    Daughters of Darkness
    Faceless
    High Tension
    and of course the films of Jean Rollin to name just a few.

9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

It might be easier for you to argue the superiority of your opinion if you would refrain from making idiotic assertions like this. I'm not French--or a huge fan of the French cinema. But not many would contend that no worthwhile horror films have come out of France.

Regarding your view that the characters in Ils are generic, how many recent horror films focus on an adult couple that seems to have a healthy relationship? Surely it would be more "generic" if the characters were teens or a bickering, troubled couple.

It's also pretty poor form to spoil the big reveal and other surprises of a film that others haven't seen. Surely you've been here long enough to realize how to handle serious spoilers like that?

Those of you who are still considering seeing Ils, please check out the other thread that I linked above. A lot of people here found a lot of merit in this film.

10. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

Ils is a great film. Saying that the French don't know how to direct horror films is an absurd statement to make, especially if you're only taking into account their recent output. Ils runs lean and mean and doesn't wear out its welcome like a lot of horror films.

I also don't see how Ils is anything like Argento's horror films or something like Last House On The Left. It's clearly indebted to films like Carpenter's Halloween and many of the suspenseful horror films of the 70's (but obviously with some new millennium grit added in for good measure) Someone being tortured doesn't automatically make it a torture film either.

But anyway, that's enough about one person's opinion. My opinion is that Ils is one of the best horror films to come out of Europe in the past ten-to-twenty years, and I can't wait to see what the French come out with next.

11. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I didn't love this one the first time I saw it, but it's grown on me. But it's not one of the best recent French horror films - of which there are so so many extremely good examples.

Just this decade alone -
    Ils
    Vinyan
    Martyrs
    Inside
    Sheitan
    High Tension
    Malefique
    Irreversible
    Brotherhood of the Wolf
    etc.

12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I know you´re talking horror, but I would take any new French horror movie(Ils, Frontiere(s), Martyrs, Haute Tension) over any recent American original or remake. And this movie can´t be that bad because Americans already made a remake of it called The Strangers. Also, there´s no blade through the keyhole because she´s not looking through the keyhole but through the knobhole. So we have a nail and not a blade.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  13. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I also think the french are producing some of the best horror movies at the moment. Their films are certainly more thought provoking and well made than the majority of output from other territories.

14. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Surely you haven't been around long enough to know that DVD-fanatic has the social graces of a circus geek. Do yourself a favor and actively seek out his posts. It's good entertainment that only leaves you feeling slightly less trashy than watching a Sleepaway Camp/Silent Night, Deadly Night double feature.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah it's very good film. The French where far and away the leaders in the last decade when it came to mastering the art of creating tension.

16. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Ils it's a great movie. And if you want to read it in politics terms, again it's a great movie. If you don't, it's still a masterpiece of horror. Rarely you see movies like this. The remake (The Strangers) wasn't bad, surprisingly. But again, it had no real edge compared to the original.

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Thanks guys. I haven't seen this much support/negativity to a film since Sucker Punch. I'm going to put this on my Netflix que.

18. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

High Tension basically turned me off completely to the "French horror movement". Absolutely hated that film. However, I'm going to have watch this movie and give them another whirl.

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

High Tension rubbed my rhubarb the wrong way but Ils was a great pleasant surprise. Give it a chance, you won't regret it.