I'm a Cyborg

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dwatts, May 28, 2008.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The synopsis sounds a tad strange:

But we should kep in mind that the film was Directed by Chan-wook Park, who also brought us Oldboy and Lady Vengeance, films that have a wicked sense of humor.

But don't believe me, check out the OFFICIAL SITE. Which contains a strange trailer.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread devoted to this amazing film yet. I saw this last year, and we included it in our Asian Film Festival here. Yes, it is a bit of a departure for Park, but it still has his unmistakeable style.

One of the things I liked about it was how it threw typical film conventions for a loop. We've seen so many sci-fi films, we assume she is a cyborg, like that is really possible. It was only about 15-20 minutes in to the movie that I realized she was just totally insane. Then it brings up another question: Are crazy people happier just being crazy? The doctors try to "cure" her, but I think living in her fantastic world would be a lot more fun. And of course, that's what her love interest thinks too, and provides better support for her by believing and playing into her delusions.

A beautiful and fun movie. Not to be missed.

3. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I loved this...it's so unique, quirky, and charming. Definitely a breath of fresh air, and it shows that Park can pretty much handle any type subject matter.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Odd that they've altered the title from "I'm a Cyborg...But That's OK"

I've spoken to several friends who speak Korean, and they tell me the Korean title is just as clumsy, so it's obviously intentional.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

There was, in 2005: http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=27684

It's been on my radar but I'm burnt out on buying foreign releases, I'm waiting for the R1 release.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Just watched the Tartan Blu-ray and just WOW. Blew my mind how great it is. I thought Oldboy would be impossible to top simply because it had such a great story arch, so this caught me off guard. Seems like he just does leaps and bounds better with each new film. Since I've skipped over Lady Vengeance I can't help but think that if I watch that now it'll disappoint me too compared to Cyborg.

7. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Lady Vengeance is his best film for my money.

8. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

His Revenge trilogy is one finest trilogies put together. All 3 are MASTERPIECES.