I'm now convinced FANGORIA is crap!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Harry Warden, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Thanks for the peptalk bigwes but I can't. I'm really glad I was able to vent here and I appreciate everybody's opinion, pro or con, but I'm done. I've tried to cancel what's left of my subscription, but everytime I call the customer service number, it's either busy or out of service. Anyway, I have like 5 or 6 issues left, so I'm gonna let it run out and sit back and watch Fangoria die. The last several covers have been a complete disgrace. I've already been in a major pissing match with Chris Alexander on the Fango's website, and he has made his feelings known. He cannot accept any form of criticism and he simply doesn't understand why folks are upset. It is more than me. They have already deleted two posts of mine because they are fearful that others may agree with me. There are others who hate the Simmons cover as well. At this point, there is no turning back for me. Fangoria is close to becoming defunct anyway. The internet will eventually kill it altogether. It will go strictly online like it's sister publication Starlog. You'll see. What burns my ass the most is that Fangoria no longer gives a shit about the old guard..the war horses like you and me bigwes. They are trying desperately to grab a new audience..but the fact is, they are aiming at younger folks in their teens and 20's. That's fine in itself, but the problem with that is most teens and 20 some year olds are not reading magazines. They get all of their information online. Magazines might as well serve as toilet paper. Half probably don't even know who the hell Gene Simmons is, and if they do, it's because of his reality show, not from his days with KISS. I don't blame the younger generation for this either. They are living their lives in different technological times. Furthermore, Mr. Alexander accuses me of being narrowminded. I am not. I assure you that I like all types of horror, but Gene Simmon does not belong on the god damned cover, PERIOD!! If you want an article, fine, but he is attempting to make Fangoria into an american version of Rue Morgue, which I don't like either. Rue Morgue is okay, but there is a reason why Fangoria has always been my favorite, and now since Mr. Alexander has moved on board, he is fucking with the loyal few who actually give a shit about Fangoria. Perhaps he will read this post, but I wouldn't hold my breath. He and the rest of Fangoria's staff refuse to listen to any comments or criticism about the direction they are taking the magazine. Trust me. The fact that there was a major coo and shakedown at Fangoria, and a new owner to boot, tell me that not all is well in Fangorialand. It's just a matter of time. How damn sad!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Thanks for the post, Chris, and welcome to the site. I appreciate you taking the time to comment on this thread; it'll be interesting to see what all the members think.

3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

:eek2:

As someone who was a loyal Fangoria reader throughout the 80s and has subscribed two different times, I have to say I agree with what others have said. I appreciate your post about your love of Simmons but... he is not a horror icon. Or at least he hasn't been in many years. The reason I stopped subscribing was that it felt like the magazine was more interested in covering barely-horror (if at all) movies etc. like the King Kong re-make and then defend it as "covering all aspects of horror." In reality it felt like Fango was grabbing whatever image/story/film would sell the most issues to the widest audience... but it is a niche magazine and this approach that seems to be continuing alienated me. Rue Morgue seems to have its finger on the pulse of horror more, Horrorhound, Ultra Violent too... they all seem to me to be more on the game. This is not a criticism, just an observation.

And maybe - just a thought - instead of attacking Harry, a regular poster here and long-time Fangoria reader as "defacing" your website" you might read what was written here and take stock of it. He's not alone in his thoughts.

Having said that, good luck with the magazine, I know the print world is tough right now.

4. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Chris Alexander=DICK

I doubt this dude will come back here to read any of this since his only objective was to perform a character assassination against Harry, but coming to this site to make an account just to be a total uptight pigheaded asshole is a real spineless move. Clearly if your magazine was still on par like it was when I read my first issue (circa 1995/1996) you wouldn't be bashing a long time supporter and loyal subscriber. If anything, you should take what Harry said into consideration. Turning your back on the people that support you will only lead to your magazines ultimate, and inevitable, downfall.

At the end of the day Fangoria no longer cares about guys like Harry, they just care about the bottom line. The only reason Simmons is on the cover is to attract their large, hardcore fan base that will buy anything with Gene's ugly mug on it. Hell, the entire KISS army would buy KISS toilet paper with each members face stamped on individual rolls even if it cost an arm and leg. It's not about horror anymore, Fango has more in common with Teen Cosmo then they do with Rue Morgue.

5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I have no problem with this, but Fangoria went south for me a long time ago and I truly feel it has been trumped on all levels by Rue Morgue and Horrorhound.
    In defense of Gene Simmons on the cover:
    1) As a pre-teen in the seventies, Gene Simmons was my introduction to all things horror, science fiction and rock and roll. KISS was an undeniable phenomenon and through the many interviews I read I became acquainted with artists such as Chaney and Harryhausen. There was even a song about Chaney entitled 'Man of a 1,000 Faces' on Gene's solo album in 1978.
    2) As someone mentioned previously, both Danzig and Alice Cooper have been on the cover of Rue Morgue recently. Gene Simmons has been featured in Fangoria at least twice before, (the Gremlins cover and the Deep Blue Sea cover). As I recall, the Gremlins era article was insightful and very well written. Famous Monsters also did a KISS wraparound cover circa 1996 or so featuring all four KISS members.
    3) Gene Simmons has appeared in horror and sci-fi films and tv shows including Millenium, Trick or Treat, and Runaway. He has also produced a horror themed comic book, which I admit was just ok.
    4) The influence of films like London After Midnight and Godzilla is pretty much evident in the early KISS demon character.
    5) Though KISS have written predominantly about sex, Gene has touched upon more ominous topics-Almost Human, War Machine, Unholy...
    6) Most importantly, Gene is an unabashed and unapologetic fan of the genre and always has been. He has always been very enthusiastic about the influence of horror film and pop culture.
    So in closing, even though I pretty much hate Family Jewels and all that crap, I must say that I have no problem with Gene Simmons being on the cover. Better this than Twillight or some shallow 3D crapfest. Hell, I might even buy the magazine after not doing so for the better part of fifteen years.
    I think Chris Alexander will be good for the magazine in the long run.

6. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

Please give Chris a chance. he has been supportive of CODE RED unlike the other magazines. CODE RED in the past was ignored by Fangoria, but now he is trying to put some old school horror films back in the magazine. Give him a chance, you guys!

7. deadthing13

deadthing13 New Member

I'll say this again: I welcome criticism. But with Harry...well, go to my site and read his posts. If you HATE something so much, why do you subscribe? Harry says he buys every Fango and yet hasn't read it in 7 years. Very odd, then to offer valid criticism.

And he rants about a TWILIGHT cover. Well, that was done one year ago....I signed up in May 2010.

So again, I LOVE debate and constructive criticism. I - like you - want to see FANGO be an interesting, lively, diverse magazine that gets people's pulses pounding. But if you're going to publicly attack the work...at least, y'know, READ the work...

My offer still stands to send a promo copy of the new FANGO to whoever on this site would like a proper re-evaluation.

Again, thanks for letting me spill ink in this space and have a great day.

8. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I myself can't afford Fangoria. I used to get a subscription to it, for several years, and the last subscription I did was about 4 years ago. I prefer seeing it on the internet, and the last issue I purchased was the Anniversary issue last year, with the painting from Clive Barker, and another 2 issues, one with the cover for My Bloody Valentine 3D, and the other for Friday the 13th remake. The issue price is too high.

9. Anthropophagus

Same with Rue Morgue for me, I just buy select issues now and then. I could never blow that kind of money on a magazine on a monthly basis, can't justify it in these times.

10. Harry Warden

Chris..you really need to grow up. First, I never said that I didn't read the magazine. I've collected this since the beginning. What I said was that I didn't read an entire issue over the last 5 or so years because the magazine has been on a steady decline, IMO. Also, I did not deface your lousy website. I expressed an opinion, which I might add, I have every right to do. I can't help the fact that you have such a thin skin that you cannot deal with any form of criticism. But I guess that's your problem.

I invite you to do a search on this site for comments on Fangoria. There have been several polls done here. You will discover how insignificant this magazine has become among many who post here. Whether they agree with me or not is of no consequence. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Please don't spread lies on this site regarding your discontent with me. I would be more than happy to supply you with my phone number or you can PM me, and I'll talk to you about it more.

Trust me when I say this: I have always been a loyal follower of Fangoria. You really need to LISTEN to those of us who are members of the old guard...those of us who have been there from the beginning. If not, you will find yourself on the outside looking in.

11. Angelman

I totally appreciate that and I clearly recall watching KISS meets the Phantom of the Park on Halloween of 1979 and feeling the horror vibe... but in 2010 I'm not sure he's even remotely relevant to horror. KISS in the 80s were glam, then the Cherry Dr. Pepper-endorsing combeack and now a reality show. Comparing him to Danzig or even Alice Cooper, at this point anyway, is a stretch. I actually don't know who Gene Simmons on the cover is for, sales-wise...

That's encouraging. I'd like to see more support of Code Red.

To Chris: I'll go pick up the latest issue to have a look. I guess I just didn't like the idea of an editor of a magazine going to all that trouble to sign up here and then to talk bad about Harry. I do like that you (Chris) offered a free issue - putting your money where your mouth is.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

:confused:

I would like to know EXACTLY the difference in the mag now vs 1995.

Why is it not up to par?

What do you miss? What's new that you don't like?
    Please give specific articles, columns, reviews, exclusive interviews., sections...

Because how the hell in world could someone make an improvement if nobody gives specifics. (given the fact that they would take suggestions) Take food for an example. Would you tell tell a chef, his food stinks or would you say, it's good but too much salt, not enough garlic, etc...

P.S. - On the Horrorhound issue. IMO Horrorhound is an internet blog on paper. Plain & simple. I don't see what the big deal is with that mag. I read a few, and it's ok I guess. But that's as far as I go. And Rue Morgue is better than Horrorhound, but kinda boring at times. So for me, Fangoria wins hands down. Consistent year to year in bringing horror news to the reader. And yes I have zero problems with Twilight or Jurassic Park being on the cover. Too much is packed in each issue too be worried about a film like Twilight being on the cover & getting extensive coverage. What's the big deal?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  13. Anthropophagus

I hear you about KISS and have total respect for your opinion. KISS has strayed significantly from their early seventies horror influenced roots, I don't know much about Danzig personally, but comparing Cooper to KISS is a stretch-Cooper's recent Along Came A Spider was essentially a concept album about a serial killer.
    I guess the tone of this Fangoria article will dictate it's pertinence-if it's done from a fan perspective of a rock star discussing the importance of horror culture in the success of his career then that's fine. If it's another example of Simmons promoting KISS and an endless array of shitty merchandise, then indeed it's one more nail in the Fangoria coffin.

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Always fun when someone at the source drops in to address issues directly--it's what makes this site special. If Fango is headed in a new direction, good for the mag. Print needs to adapt; the same as any medium.

Apparently, there's bad blood betw. Warden and Chris, so I'll leave it them to it. But I'm curious to hear how Fango is changing with the times, if that's the case.

15. Harry Warden

Bill,

With all due respect, If memory serves me right, you have also been one on this site that hasn't been too receptive to folks expressing their opinion. Many times fellow horror fans who post here on a regular basis have given their opinion on releases, or the delay thereof, only to bet met with skepticism and an inability on your part to provide information WITHOUT becoming defensive or offended. If those of you who work in the horror industry, whether it be a magazine or dvd company are that thin skinned, then I really do understand how your companies, magazines, etc are failing. I'm not a business major, nor do I profess to be right all of the time. Everybody has a right to their opinion, as do you, but please keep in mind that it only takes a few nips or bites out of the hand that feeds you before folks bite back. Start listening to your customers, and most of all, the target audience who buys your merchandise. Many of them frequent this site.

16. Harry Warden

Thanks Angelman for the kind words. If anything, hopefully this will generate a discussion about Fangoria, which as we both know, has generally been talked about in mostly negative terms here. Hopefully Chris Alexander and the like can be adult enough to treat this as a learning moment. He accuses me of not having all of my facts. In many posts prior to starting this thread, I was one of the few who staunchly defended Fangoria everytime it was criticized. If Mr. Alexander takes the time to read some of those past posts, he may discover them and realize that I'm not the enemy. Alas, I guess the comment section on Fangoria's webpage is meant for only those who agree with him, and hell be damned if you have an opposing opinion.

17. Angelman

That's the thing. I mean, a friend and I looked into getting rights for a film and doing a DVD of it a la the first limited run of the I Drink Your Blood DVD and financially, it is tough. I feel for Bill. I really do. DVD purchasers want it to look pristine, have extras, be cheap... we are demanding, and at times, unrealistic.

Similarly, magazines, as a medium, are on the ropes. Paper costs are up and sales are in decline if what I read is to be believed. Fangoria is a brand name. But at this point it is my opinion they have an uphill battle to win back readership. If Chris and Bill want our dollars they should take note of what fans - many of whom here buy DVDs and horror-related magazines obsessively - want.

I guess, and I realize this is easier said than done, I would love to see Code Red or Fango step out of the existing paradigm for their respective areas and give us something new or forward thinking. And to Bill and Chris I say that with all due respect for how hard you are both working.

18. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

I might be totally off base in jumping in this conversation here, and I do not mean to offend anyone by my comments, but why are members of this board bashing Fango? I understand that over the years the magazine has shown a drastic decline in coverage of specific areas of the genre and have swayed into more main-stream movies, but why bash Chris? He is a new to the helm and obviously it is going to take some time to right the ship. If the ship doesn't go in the right direction, it will sink. The easiest way to hurt a company is not by bashing it on the message boards, but by taking the money out of their pocket. If you don't like it don't buy it, its as simple as that, case closed.

19. Angelman

Yeah, but this is a forum to discuss such things. The whole point of this board is to debate and discuss. If we can't bash/discuss here - then what is the point of the forum?

Harry wasn't outright bashing so much as lamenting the direction of Fangoria. Chris is obviously a strong personality and I think his response came off aggressive towards the posters...but I hope he delivers on his vision. I don't want Fangoria to fail, but we should be able to discuss what we think here, if not anywhere else...

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm pretty neutral about Fangoria. Loved it as a kid in the 80s, really haven't read it all that much since. The last one I bought was #293 with The Descent 2 on the cover and it wasn't too bad. The articles were about on par with Horrorhound (sorry baggio), but the key difference is that Horrorhound focuses far more upon the kinds of films that I like. The other perk is that Horrorhound is bi-monthly and $2 cheaper and therefore better fits my budget. So if I have to choose between the two, my decision is easy: Horrorhound all of the way!

Now on to Rue Morgue. I think they bite off more than they can chew. The issues are too thick for a monthly mag, but more importantly It's too expensive. Also, the impression that I get from the few issues that I've read (rightly or wrongly) is that they would rather write more about themselves than about horror movies if they could get away with it. It's just not for me at all.