I'm now convinced FANGORIA is crap!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Harry Warden, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

pwrslave - your are not offending me. I understand where you are coming from, but I choose not to sit down and remain quiet. That's not how I was made. Go back and read all of the posts in this thread, and maybe you will get a better idea of why I'm upset. You might not agree with me, and that's okay, but I'm doing this because I've loved this magazine for years, and I'm not happy with it's present direction. If I, at the very least, can get Mr. Alexander to sit up and take notice, then perhaps a constructive conversation will take place instead of him accusing me of sabotage and narrowmindedness.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Good point Angelman. Obviously, I don't think anyone on this board wants Fango to fail. It has been around forever and it would be a shame if it were to disappear. I have never been an avid reader, but I will on occasion pick it up if I have a long flight. Not everything in there appeals to my tastes, but I don't think there is a single publication out there that does.

So, I guess as horror fans, we gotta get our fix where we can and be happy :)

3. deadthing13

deadthing13 New Member

Again, criticism and comments welcome...as long as they make sense.

Warden came on like a raging madman on my site...and with the same tired TWILIGHT rants...but again, I NEVER PUT TWILIGHT ON THE COVER.
    So of course, I take offense to this.
    And nothing else he cites is specific....
    Is it the history of 3D horror films, the interviews with Roger Corman, Gaspar Noe, Jerry Lacy from Dark Shadows, Fabio Frizzi, Bill Malone, Sara Karloff, spotlights on The Twilight Zone, Luico Fulci, extensive sit downs with Romero, Jess Franco, Tony Anthony...are these they things he despises? Because these are things I love and have made it my mission to incorporate into the mag in the last 6 issues as WELL as new, current and upcoming horror culture news.

I've put my money where my mouth is and offered any reader of this thread a free issue of FANGO as a sample of the eccentric more esoteric vision I have for this mag...

So please, if you'd like me take your criticisms seriously - which I will - at least READ MY MAGAZINE and then call out what you hate by name.

And if you all champion Mr. Warden - who in his private life may be a wonderful individual, I have no idea - then please, read his vitriolic attacks to me PERSONALLY on my site. They're really charming!

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?i...on=com_content&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=167

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Great take on that mag. I noticed that too.

Now I've noticed many, not just you, mention pricing, fitting into budgets & justifying the content, etc... So maybe that could be a big part of loss of love for the magazine.

But I just wanted to say that:

Horrorhound 6 issue subscription = $34.00 - That's $5.67 an issue.

Fangoria 10 issue subscription = $54.47 - That's $5.45 an issue.

I assume you mean buying an issue one at a time is $2 cheaper, correct? Buying a subscription would be cheaper for either mag. But Fangoria turns out to be the cheaper magazine(using a subscription) If your buying 1 issue a year, ok, but if you would buy between 4-5 Fangoria issues a year, the sub is the way to go.

I personally have subscribed for years. (other years were even cheaper)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yeah, no doubt subs are the way to go but it's slapping down that initial investment that gets me every time. (If you want a great deal on a subscription, 6 issues of MAD, cover price $5.99, is only $14.99!) But I really enjoy walking down to my friend's comic book store and helping him out. Anyways, I got a sour taste in my mouth for subs as a kid when some of the comics I subscribed to got cancelled before my subscription ran out and I was never recouped a dime.

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The internet. When I read Fango from the 80s through the mid/late 90s the internet was still taking shape in terms of a reliable pipeline for information. In the 80s If I wanted to hear about Nightmare on Elm Street IV or Cellar Dweller or Pumpkinhead I had to get it from Fangoria. Remember when stuff like Cellar Dweller was on the cover*? Now it is barely-horror on the cover (and inside). the world changed and Fangoria didn't. What Rue Morgue and Horrorhound (and Ultra Violent) do right is that they collect lots of information about all sorts of horror related movies, music and places and cover, in a timely fashion, these topics. Foreign horror, in depth, interesting retrospectives. They seem to answer the call before the demand is there and that is interesting. Also Rue, HH amd UV have a sense of style, graphically and in terms of tone. I for one, like the personal approach of the Rue Morgue writing, makes it feel more personal.

Fangoria does feel like Cream or Tiger Beat, experientially, for me. It's like the "US Weekly" of horror mags.

But again, I will see what's cooking in Aug of 2010 in Fangoria. Maybe Chris is getting it on the right track.

(*yes it is a terrible movie, but at least then Fango was trying to cover the dark corners of horror).

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Speaking of Nightmare on Elm Street IV. They just recently had a 2 part retro by interviewing some of the victims throughout the entire series. And as far as movies like Cellar Dweller. The problem is that there are a TON of straight to video film vs the amount they had years ago. It's impossible to cover all of them. So just because they put something like Twilight on the cover doesn't make them out of touch. It's just what's really hot right now. How do you fault them for that? So if they completely ignored films like Twilight & Jurassic Park, that would be better? Not even mention them. On the inside there are many sections in each issue that deal with films from various countries. So that's interesting stuff, no? Plus they always have a section on horror books, horror video games, soundtracks to horror films. What exactly are you looking for? They just had a huge article (many pages) on a Serbian Film. Not so mainstream imo, and extremely controversial.

What does every body want? Jason on the cover every week?

[​IMG]

-INTERVIEW: NICKY HENSON Hopping on a hog, he delivered “Psychomania” in the early-’70s cult pic.
    -PREVIEW: “THE WALKING DEAD” Has there ever been a more exciting-sounding TV show than Frank Darabont’s adaptation of the zombie-comics favorite?
    -INTERVIEW: DARIN SCOTT He opened a “Dark House” that has become one of the key flicks in the Fangoria FrightFest collection.
    -PREVIEW: “SUCK” Vampires, rock ’n’ roll and Malcolm McDowell—what more could you ask for?
    -PREVIEW: “RED WHITE & BLUE” The first of those colors runs all over the heart of Texas in this savage new horror/drama.
    -INTERVIEW: BARBARA SHELLEY Part one of our lengthy chat with the actress who put the glamour in the movies of Hammer.
    -PREVIEW: “LET ME IN” They let the right team in to rework the Swedish vampire favorite. Plus: Simon Oakes on the new Hammer’s new directions
    -PREVIEW: “DEVIL” Going down…to hell? That’s where an elevator’s headed in this M. Night Shyamalan-produced chiller.
    -PREVIEW: “HATCHET II” Victor Crowley’s back, and writer/director Adam Green’s given him more people to kill.
    -PREVIEW: “SAW 3D” Jigsaw’s torturous traps take on a whole new level in director Kevin Greutert’s latest franchise entry.
    -PREVIEW: “I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE” It was up to the remake crew to assure fans of the original wouldn’t feel violated.
    -INTERVIEW: WILLIAM LUSTIG He made a “Maniac” who’s still scaring us three decades later. Plus: the making of another early-’80s “Madman”
    -PREVIEW: AFTER DARK ORIGINALS Terrors of every type fill an all-new lineup of eight fearsome films.
    -INTERVIEW: JOSHUA HOFFINE His lens captures some of the freakiest sights in the art-photography world.
    -INTERVIEW: SARAH KARLOFF Life was a “Thriller” for the daughter of Boris.
    -DIARY OF THE DEB: “SCREAM QUEENS” The reality show’s second season gave Debbie Rochon the chance to share her wisdom.
    IRST RITES “Walking” in big shoes
    -MONSTER INVASION Previews of John Carpenter’s “The Ward,” the “Let Me In” comic and the DVD reissue of “Mad Ron’s Prevues from Hell”
    -TRASH COMPACTOR Boris Karloff in “Die, Monster, Die!”
    -THE TERROR TUBE The infamous British broadcast “Ghostwatch”
    -DR. CYCLOPS’ DUNGEON OF DISCS Reviews of “The Dead Matter,” “Burning Bright,” two from Larry Blamire, “Growth,” “Under the Mountain” and more
    -NIGHTMARE LIBRARY Reviews of Bob Fingerman’s “Pariah,” Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan’s “The Fall,” David Moody’s “Autumn” and others
    -HORRORCADE Reviews of “Naughty Bear,” “Singularity” and “Crackdown 2”
    -SOUND SHOCK David A. Hughes on his “C.H.U.D.” score
    -MONSTER OF THE MONTH Trash from “The Return of the Living Dead”

8. Angelman

The contents page does not, for me, tell the real story.

My problem is this: most Fangoria "feature articles" are two, maybe three pages (I'm looking at the latest issue) and feel fluffed. The cover is a studio still of the latest Resident Evil. Rue Morgue, on the other hand had a sweet ass painted Piranha cover, with a four page restrospective on the original leading into a four page bit on Aja's re-make and a little one page thing on Humanoids from the Deep. And the DVDs and Blus are also advertised. So instead of experiencing a two page fluff piece I get 8 or so pages to immerse myself in the Piranha series and can follow up by renting or buying the other films. Horrorhound has like 20 pages on their cover story that is filled with not just studio-approved stills but PAGES of memoribilia photos - a lot I haven't seen before. There is more ... weight ... in the other magazines.

Plus the layout of Fangoria is messy. I like that Rue Morgue and Horrorhound try to have a theme/look for each month...

I just bought the latest issue and it reminded my why I stopped reading. There's just nothing of weight there.

And yes, for the most part they should ignore Twilight and Jurassic Park. They are fine films in their own right, just not horror.

And my comment on Cellar Dwellar was simply to illustrate that in the old days Fangoria felt like a portal to a world I could not access elsewhere. Now, not so much.

Interesting that they covered a Serbian film.

9. Harry Warden

Baggio - my biggest complaint of all are the lousy covers as of late. The cover should be your selling point..period. If you have a cover that looks ridiculous, then nobody is ever going to want to read your magazine in the first place. How the hell does one expect to increase sales if the magazine looks like shit?? I don't care how many articles that you want to have on Gene Simmons, but for crying out loud, don't put him on the fuckin cover. The cover is not scary, it's not attractive, most people under 30 don't have the first god damned clue who Gene Simmons is unless he is out of make-up on a reality show. It defies all logic. I can live with Jurassic Park. It's a nice crossover into the horror genre. Twilight?? I suppose you could consider it a horror film, and of course there are all types of horror films but on the cover of FANGORIA? FANGORIA?? Can anybody else out there possible think of of another film that could have graced the cover? How about MBV (the remake), Martyrs, High Tension, even a tribute to Vincent Price. Somebody who has actully made a significant contribution to horror? They used to do retrospective covers on occasion (i.e. The Exorcist, Godzilla, The Beyond, etc..) Instead, we have some guy with dreadlocks, red eyes, no fangs and he has look on his face like he is constitpated. BTW, the last time I checked, the majority of Twilight fans were 13 year old girls. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I hardly think they are flocking to read Fangoria. (I apoligize in advance to any teenage girls who may post here who are avid Fangoria readers) Maybe its the art dept in Fangoria that needs an overhaul, or better yet, put out photos of potential covers and let the fans vote on them. That way, we would have a say in what we as consumers would like to see. The content is also lacking, not so much in terms of not enough variety, but the article are shorter and dumbed down like the staff is aiming at 7 year olds. I'm not trying to destroy Fangoria. Those who work there are doing this on their own.

One other important item -- If you read my posts on Fangoria's site, please know that SEVERAL of my posts have been deleted, so you are not getting the entire exchange between Mr. Alexander and myself.

10. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Fangoria #297 looks pretty cool! How bad is the Gene Simmons cover, I can't find a screenshot anywhere...

11. Harry Warden

Exactly!! This is what I mean by shorter and dumbed down. You just get started in an interview and the damn thing is one page long! I've seen longer articles in my school newspaper, and that was, do I dare say it, 27 years ago!! The articles have no substance. I'm really not a big fan of Rue Morgue either. It's okay, and way too expensive to subscribe to in the states. The point is, I don't want Fangoria to look like Rue Morgue, or any other magazine. I just would very much prefer that it not continue to look convuluted and juvenile. The covers are horrible. The photo selected are drab, the banner with other photos across the front block out the larger photo and the layout is a mess. If they want a large photo on the front, get rid of the distracting banner across the bottom and start including articles that are more lengthy, substance filled and less fluff.

12. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

13. Angelman

For sure, I want Fangoria to be Fangoria, but I want it to be better (updated) and kick my ass.

The good news for Chris is we are actually discussing Fangoria, something I haven't done in years.

14. Harry Warden

15. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Oh man, yeah I have to agree, that is a pretty horrid cover...yikes!

16. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

wow, that was way worst than I could ever imagine

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

18. Angelman

Ha. I'll tell you a true strory though, I got sent home from pre-school because a friend of mine and took our mom's make up and during play time, drew on our faces to look like KISS. I can only imagine how not like KISS we looked at age 4-5-ish.

In retrospect it explains a lot about me.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

at least they got rid of the banner across the bottom. this cover is all Gene, all the time.

20. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Stories like that were numerous during KISS' heyday, say what you will about the music being stupid but I miss those more innocent and naive times.
    Great story about the make-up. :)
    Here's one more: In high school, I had a friend called Ian who was a huge shit disturber and rebel, this did not preclude his family from being the most puritanical and fanatic Christians I've ever met. I actually had to pray before being served dinner at their house. So one night I invite his whole family over to my place for dinner with the parents, during the course of the evening the younger brother excuses himself to go to the bathroom but never comes back.
    Long story short: He had gone to my room and I actually caught him passing a crucifix over my Creatures Of The Night era KISS poster. When I caught him he looked like he was gonna shit himself and uttered "Satan" or "Satanists" and went back to rejoin his family. I'll never forget the look of terror on that kids face when I caught him. :D
    It's probably that KISS (73-82) that would have been more deserving of a Fangoria cover story. Ah memories.