I'm now convinced FANGORIA is crap!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Harry Warden, Aug 27, 2010.

1. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

KISS will always be classic.......as will Fangoria!!!

2. deadthing13

deadthing13 New Member

Again with the TWILIGHT...last time I print this: I was not EIC of Fango then. So please, please, please do your homework before you rant (and rant, and rant and...).

And as far as "dumbing down" the features....I challenge anyone to read our current crop of features and profiles and not LEARN something, in a fun, interesting way. That's my mandate here. A fast, fun, insightful magazine that covers all areas of horror without pretense....anyone who knows my work with RM, in my college film history teachings, in my book, TV, radio...I do not dumb down. I LOVE what I do and I want you to FEEL that...

And last time I offer this too: a FREE copy of Fango for your analysis to anyone off this site who emails me at work chris@fangoria.com.

And re: Warden's final claim. Under the alias 'M', Harry often attacks Fangoria on our website. If you despise us, Harry or M or ...whoever you REALLY are - I'm just in the dark as to why you continuously barf bile on OUR site? If you really have suggestions for articles or features, I'm ALWAYS open to pitches. Why don't you stop your endless yammering about TWILIGHT covers from last year and hatred over an original oil painting of A CLASSIC MONSTER (which Simmons most assuredly is and I hired someone who actually painted the latter FM magazines to do this) and actually..y'know...pitch me something. I'd probably listen and entertain an idea or two of yours.

But no.

Instead you sit here and there and everywhere that hasn't banned you yet and attack...and yet, even after your attacks, FANGORIA is still here...and getting stronger...

And note to members here: Warden had ONE post deleted by our mod. It was quickly RE-POSTED by Warden (or 'M') and every exchange from myself is there in its entirety.

So one more time 'M', Warden, etc. - be pro-active. Help "SAVE" the periodical whose death you seem to predict and pray for...pitch me something.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  3. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Looks more like a Polish Kiss concert promo ad. Terrible.

4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

It looks exactly like an ad-something you might see posted on a construction site wall similar to daybills that announce upcoming events/concerts. Real classy isn't it!!!

5. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

I'm still waiting for the Debbie Gibson -vs-Tiffany cover.
    I'm sure it will make great sturdy liner paper for my pup.

[​IMG]

6. Harry Warden

Chris,

Since your won't set the record straight, I guess I will have to. First, let me address the deleted postings on the Fangoria website. I originally posted one about my discontent with the Simmons cover. Instead of anybody responding to my discontent, it was DELETED IMMEDIATELY. That was your first opportunity to make an invitation to me or others who complained, to ask us to explain why I/they didn't like the cover. Fangoria-1, fans-0. Two days later, after seeing another person complaining about the cover on your site, I decided to repost another comment similar to my first, indicating that my first post was deleted, and hoping that someone would sit up and take notice. I described the cover as crap, and those making these decisions as lackluster. Once again, I was expressing MY OPINION. This time, I was met with your vile attack about what a narrow-minded, stupid and uneducated person I was and that I should do my homework before expressing such negativity. Fangoria -2, fans-0. In our little pissing match, you responded with a post that more or less indicated that my comments were likened to somebody who need psychological help. Those posts ARE NOT on your website, because I likened you to Tom Cruise, and thanked you for the Psych evaluation, but no thanks. These posts are not on the Fangoria website, unless by some miracle, you posted them again. The comment sections on your website invite feedback, do they not?? Instead of receiving anything from you saying..hey, why don't you like the cover? or What are we doing wrong?, I get an abrasive attack about how fucking stupid I am, that I'm some two bit hack, and I should go beat myself into a coma; this from the EDITOR IN CHIEF, nonetheless. Jesus - and you claim that I haven't done my research or that I'm some two bit hack? Chris..you can't be this stupid, can you??? We are the folks who buy your magazine for Christ's sake. You are biting the hand that feeds you. Can't you see that??? Your response was to go on the offensive right from the very beginning, instead of LISTENING to anybody. I want everybody here to know, whether you agree with me or not, that you are NOT READING EVERYTHING THAT WAS POSTED ON THE FANGORIA WEBSITE. It's called creative editing. Yes, I have posted negative comments in the past..because NOBODY seems to be listening. Instead, you prefer nice, cute, short, fuzzy and warm comments. You claim Fangoria is going strong..I beg to differ. I am not trying kill anything Chris. You will do this quite well on your own. Also, I want everybody to know that I used M to post comments on the Fangoria website because when I attempted to use my name, which is Matthew, it was taken, as were several others I tried. I grew tired of trying to come up with a name, so I just put M and it took that. I'm not hiding from anybody. Look at my profile, my name is listed there as well.

As for dumbing down the magazine, you yourself just said it best. A fast, fun, insightful magazine. Fast and fun does not equate to insightful. The two are polar opposites. It you have a one or two page article with fluff, how the hell can it be insightful. I suppose you can if you are Stephen King, but most magazine articles are not similar to what I read on the internet. That is where fun and fast is appropriate..when I don't have a lot of time to read, or I want to surf for a half hour. If I am reading a hands on magazine, I want to lay back an become engrossed in an article or two, and not read, at best, headlines. Because of your Rue Morgue job experience, your take on Fangoria is to change it like Rue Morgue. You have no original ideas, and those you do, like the covers, are really poor decision making. I don't want to read Rue Morgue. I want to read Fangoria. Please don't make this into an Americanized version of Rue Morgue. The layout is sloppy, the photos are dull, the covers are just bad and way too busy with too many photos. Go back to a one photo cover, or put the film strip on the side instead of the bottom, so it doesn't block out the cover.

Furthermore, you sound as if you are giving folks here on this site--some who are among your supporters and target audience.. an ultimatum. "This is the LAST TIME I will make this offer???..BOO HOO HOO Is this because nobody has taken you up on a free copy? You sound like a recalcitrant child taking a temper tantrum. This comment could not be a more juvenile statement. So you weren't responsible for the TWILIGHT cover. Fine..that's settled. You should take that as a learning experience as well, and fully understand this to be the type of crap nobody wants to see on the cover...and, BTW, if you actually read the majority of posts here in this thread, most, not all, but most would seem to place Gene Simmons in the Twilight category. You might think he is a classic monster, but I beg to differ. He has no place on the cover..PERIOD.

Chris -- I HAVE NEVER BEEN BANNED FROM ANY OTHER WEBSITE EXCEPT FANGORIA'S - I have been an active member here for more than two years, and I frequent others. The reason I was banned from your website was for the simple fact that I disagreed with somebody regarding a film. The individual was from Huntsville, Alabama, and the next day, I could not log in. My user ID on the Fangoria site was Snake Charmer. In fact, I've never been edited or had posts deleted from any other site except yours. I would be very interested to hear from other here if they suffered the same thing on your site. IT'S A FREE COUNTRY..Everybody has the right to their opinions, pro or con. If you don't like what I have to say, too bad. It certainly got your attention now didn't it???? Please stop spreading lies about me on this site and trying to present a point of view that is skewed and manipulative.

You ask that I supply ideas to you..an editor who has done absolutely nothing to encourage me, or anybody, to respond in a favorable way. Instead, you took it upon yourself to create an id on a horror related board that you have obviously NEVER FREQUENTED in your entire life, only to be manipulative and to continue to carry out your hurt, thin skinned feelings in hopes that you will garner support. Too late. I can't speak for anybody else here. I know a few, like Baggio and bigwes15 still love you. I only wish I can have their enthusiasm, but I don't. I know how they feel. I would honestly hope that Fangoria remains vital, but I don't like the direction of this magazine, whether you are the editor, or from a year or so before your tenure. Nobody, including fans here, deserves to be treated like shit for expressing their opinions. We might fight on occasion. We may disagree, and that's great. This is a FORUM where we discuss things. If anyone wants to offer suggestions, and have you LISTEN to them, then perhaps this wasn't in vain.

7. deadthing13

deadthing13 New Member

Matthew: Your aggression is matched only by your arrogance.

I deleted one post on my site because it was rude, smarmy and misinformed. And because I knew we had banned you from the forum only days before for the same relentless behavior against others. As a longtime professional writer and reader, I can pick up very quickly on a scribe's personal 'style'...

After that, all your posts and mine stayed as they were, for better or worse.

But really, it's all moot. It's all juvenile finger pointing so let's allow it to rest.

And, as I said in the posts, if you hate FANGORIA so much....if we've been such an insult to your intellect of the past several years, WHY continue to pollute our forums and website with spite and vitriol? Why not simply move elsewhere? Read something else?

I too have been reading FANGO since day one. And yet somehow you smirk and spit and say that you will teach me lessons the hard way. Incredibly presumptuous and insulting. Since I have no idea who you are, nor do you apparently know me, or understand my motives or creative process, how do you presume to teach me anything?

And regarding your diatribe about free speech:

You are of course free to say what you want.

But understand that you do not pay the bills at FANGORIA.
    You are not on our creative team.
    You do not write, plan or network with us.
    Our forums and website are ours. And why would we - who work very hard to create this awful magazine that you despise and yet continue to purchase, and yet whose every move you seem to follow -allow you to shit all over our efforts?

What other business would tolerate this?

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

On a related subject, last night I watched the old 80s film RUNAWAY starring Gene Simmons as the bad guy. My god, is he one awful actor. You know how mothers always say "If you don't stop making that face it's going to freeze like that."? Well, apparently it's true. :lol:

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

:lol::lol:

And as entertaining as it is, man, I'd be happy if the Fango drama over the Fango boards remained...you know, over at the Fango site. Seems odd to be reading about some other board's drama here. (But I will keep reading, oh yes).

10. deadthing13

deadthing13 New Member

You are so right. And I solemnly swear on the mag that has my blood running in its red ink to make this my final post.

As far as this hot blooded Irish editor is concerned....drama done, game over.

All the best to everyone -
    C.

11. Harry Warden

Workshed - I can relate. I really would rather talk about Fangoria itself, but the Fango website keeps getting dragged into this argument by the other party. I've been accused of defacing it, rather than simply expressing my opinion, so the only thing I can do is attempt to defend myself for expressing an opinion and to let you know what happened there. All I ever intended to do here was to vent to my fellow horrorfan users about my experience, why I'm pissed and was interested in their feedback regarding the direction of Fangoria. I mentioned Chris Alexander in my very first post as reference, because he is the person who responded to me. Please keep in mind that Mr. Alexander has never frequented this site until a few days ago. He created an account so he could continue his war of words. Personally, I will not be frequenting his website any longer.

12. deadthing13

deadthing13 New Member

Halla-looo-yah!
    (okay, THAT was my final post).

13. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

I have taken Chris up on his offer. He has already responded to my email and my issue should be in the post soon. As I have already stated in an earlier post, I do not read Fango that often. As a matter of fact I haven't even glanced at an issue since Chris has become EIC, so this will be a welcomed opportunity to make a solid judgement about the magazine.

14. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Why couldn't this just be resolved on the fango board? Why would you ban someone then stalk them on another board?

15. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I didn't know there was going to be a Sequel to Hatchet. That was a great movie. I have had so difficulty finding Fangoria on the newstand sometimes. Once or twice a year it has been at my local Price Chopper.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Why are deadthing13's posts being mysteriously delayed? Is this some sort of security measure for new members?

17. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

BIG LULZ!

:glasses:

18. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

+1

:rolleyes:

19. Harry Warden

THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT REGARDING HOW AGGRESSIVE I AM....

YOU DIDN'T DELETE ONE POST..YOU DELETED THREE TOM CRUISE. I WAS NOT BANNED FROM YOUR SITE A FEW DAYS EARLIER...AS YOU WANT EVERYBODY TO BELIEVE. I WAS BANNED TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO. TRY GETTING YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT MR. ALEXANDER.

YOU ARE A COMPLETE LIAR AND HARDLY PROFESSIONAL SO SCREW YOU CHRIS.

I CONTINUED RECEIVING THE MAGAZINE BECAUSE I WAS A "SUBSCRIBER" YOU NUMB SKULL - I HARDLY HAVE THE ABILITY TO MAKE ANY OF YOUR SO CALLED CREATIVE TEAM DO ANYTHING. YOU DO...OR DO YOU??? I CAN ONLY VOICE MY OPINION WHEN I DON'T LIKE SOMETHING. IT'S UP TO YOU TO ASK QUESTIONS. JUST KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK CHRIS...AND ALL WILL BE RIGHT WITH THE WORLD....:lol::lol::cry::mad::fucked:

I THOUGHT I DID MOVE ON..TO ANOTHER WEBSITE, WHERE I SOLICITED FELLOW HORROR FANS OF THEIR OPINION. MY ORIGINAL POST DIDN'T HAVE A FUCKING THING TO DO WITH YOU, OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT YOUR NAME WAS USED FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES.

YOU FOLLOWED ME HERE CHUM!!

FREEDOM..SWEET FREEDOM. IT CALLED AMERICA CHRIS!!!!

I WOULD NEVER WORK IN ANY ENVIRONMENT THAT HAD YOU AS THEIR LEADER.

DO US ALL A FAVOR, AND MAKE SURE YOU STICK TO YOUR PROMISE OF NO MORE POSTINGS, AND LET THOSE OF US WHO WANT TO DISCUSS HORROR MOVE ON WITH OUR DAY.

20. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Sorry but Chris' closing remarks hit the nail on the head, if you don't like it don't buy it. I have corresponded with Chris in e-mail since I thought this constant back and forth was childish on a public board and he seems like a very insightful guy with a profound affection for both KISS and horror-nothing wrong with that in my book. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Good luck Chris.