I'm now convinced FANGORIA is crap!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Harry Warden, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Anthropophaugus-glad to hear it. You are entitled to you opinion, but Chris followed me here. I certainly didn't invite him. I would ask you what you would have done if you were being attacked by the editor of this magazine? Would you sit back like a bumb on a log and not defend yourself? If so, that's fine, but I choose not to, so don't fault me for my decision.

2. deadthing13

deadthing13 New Member

See, here's my point.

You came to MY site for the sole purpose of saying the following:

"This is by far, the worst cover of all time. This magazine has become total crap. The new editor is turning this rag into an American version of Rue Morgue, which is also crap. I will not be renewing my subscription to this magazine for I cannot stand the outlandishly stupid decisions that have been made since the new editor has taken over. I have every issue from #1 forward, and this new team is by far the worst, most uninformed group of lackluster individuals to ever take over the reins of this magazine. Let me know if you can expedite my cancelation and refund my money."

You trash us,trash me, trash my colleagues. And you continued...and continued.

And yet you voice outrage when I visit you here and call you on your nonsense.

Perhaps you're used to the several times you ripped us before online and were not challenged. Perhaps you thought you could continue anytime you felt like it, without reproach.

Methinks Harry Warden can freely dish it out wherever he pleases and yet, has great difficulty when any of his targets actually call him on his actions.

Perhaps, it is YOU who needs the education, here, Harry...not FANGORIA or any of its staff.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

What's a "lulz"?

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

No, no, no-don't get me wrong you're entitled to express your opinion and when you do that can be accepted as constructive criticism or negative, it's obvious here that the editor has taken it as negative and will not compromise on his stance. My point was that at this juncture it's not productive to continue arguing about this, if you don't like the mag don't buy it and if it sucks no one else will buy it before long. There is such competition out there from Rue Morgue and Horrorhound and all the websites that a horror magazine that is constantly going downhill will not survive.
    However, Chris has not been given adequate time to prove himself, what if he does acquit himself over time by publishing several stellar issues? The fans will speak with their wallets over the course of time and Fangoria will sink or swim.

5. Harry Warden

Exactly! I couldn't agree more...and don't get me wrong..I did leave it behind at Fangoria. I didn't want this war of words to crossover here. I was expressing how upset I was with his decisions, as all of us have done from time to time on this board about various topics, and I never dreamed that he would create an account here to start a vendetta, much less see the posting. I wanted solicitation on the direction of FANGORIA, not a war with him. As far as I'm concerned, it was over and down with. However, once Chris showed up here, I simply defended myself because he isn't telling the truth. Nevertheless, as long as he stops and doesn't post again in this thread, I could care less. If he does, I can't promise anything.

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

derivative of "lols," "lolz"

(you did mean your original post as a joke, right?)

7. maybrick

Not really. I just thought that it's weird that his posts kept appearing after the fact. For instance, my post referring to Gene Simmons in RUNAWAY was originally #67 following Harry Warden. I check back later and my comment is #68 and deadthing13 is dividing our posts. As I said: weird.

8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I've noticed that too, weird indeed.

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

You guys are killing me. Sometimes, a new user will pop up and post a thread, asking, "Why are my posts delayed? Is this some sort of security measure for new members?"

And then Dave has to patiently answer: "Yes."

edit: see this thread, for example.

I thought you were referencing this, maybrick. I still laughed. I regret nothing.

10. Harry Warden

Chris, I swear that you said your last post would be several posts ago, yet here you are at it again..yammering away. Give it a rest. I left this matter back on the Fangoria board website four days ago and I haven't posted there since. I haven't even been to the Fangoria site since then. It was a done deal. You made your point when you suggested that I should go beat myself into a coma so I went on my way. I started a thread to have a discussion with folks here and not to have a war with you. I wanted to know about what they thought of the direction Fangoria was moving, and how I was upset and disapointed, but like some fucking crybaby, you had to intercede here too. Why can't you understand this?? I no longer give a shit what you have to say, but please know this. As long as you continue this little vendetta, I will continue to respond. We may both look bad in the long run, but I don't have a magazine to run, now do I? Put your money where your mouth is and stop clogging up this board and agree to no more postings, as you stated you would do several posts ago. Some may enjoy this, but you are very much becoming a pain in the ass. I 've responded back everytime because I will defend myself against your bullshit lies about defaming your dumb website until my death, or until a mod pulls or stops this thread. This site is a forum in case you haven't noticed. The terrific folks here dis and talk about all sorts of things that we like/dislike. Fangoria has been the subject of multiple criticisms on this site long before my thread rolled around. Seriously, I really thought it was said and done once you expressed yourself on the Fangoria website. So WHY follow me here?? Is it because you regret how you reacted?? You stated once that you were done posting ,however, now it illustrates that you are incapable of keeping this promise, and you are obviously not a man of your own word. I'm finished with your shit. Just go away.

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm more than a little baffled by Chris' approach here.

You have forums on your site, Chris. If you don't want Harry there you can delete what you want and "ban" him. Yet you say you thrive on criticism. Just, not really - or not passionate criticism? You could have taken the discussion offline and had a constructive discussion with someone who has subscribed since 1979 but you are more interested in a pissing match with one poster on a forum that doesn't even belong to him!

I'm with Harry, I do not hold the Magazine in high regard anymore. I cited several examples of why and Harry agreed. Many here take issue with the KISS cover. You could have made a pitch for why we were wrong. Instead of putting your best foot forward you seemed more interested in an Internet pissing match. How does this help your cause? How does this help you win over what should be your core audience in an era where print media is failing? You could have come off like the reasonable, fan-turned-EIC but you instead came off like a common Internet troller and kind of a jerk. I picked up your mag last thurs to give it a chance but as I do care where my $ goes it will be the last issue I ever buy. Well played, dude.

Plenty of horror biz related type. Hang out here and bring a lot to this community and you came here to bash someone and never post again? Lame.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  12. maybrick

Ugh, I know what you mean. I wasn't a regular reader of Fangoria by any means, but I did pick it up from time to time. This guy has left a bad taste in my mouth. I quit buying Famous Monsters because their (now former) editor/publisher Ray Ferry was a dick. I boycott Retromedia discs because Fred Olan Ray is a dick. I'm starting to wonder if Fangoria is needing to be added to the same list.

If Chris wants to ban Harry from his forum, fine, he's within his power to do so. but most professionals would take the high road at that point and leave the matter alone. Why the stalking? Hell not even Fred Olan Ray (dick that he is) stooped to that level when banned me from his forum and I trash talked him for the next week and a half on multiple boards!

13. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

What amazes me is that Chris took the time to join a fairly active horror message board and completely wasted the opportunity to say hi to the fans and ask what the like or dislike about Fangoria. Instead it is very clear he came here for the sole purpose of trying to discredit anything that Harry has said. I work in furniture retail in a leadership position and I can tell you, the first thing you DON'T do is tell an unhappy customer that they don't work at your store so every complaint they have is null and void.

I could have sided with you Chris had you come on here and not only defended your magazine, but also ASKED what you could do to help YOUR CUSTOMERS improve your publication in future issues. And no, a free magazine doesn't cut it.

Fangoria - 0
    Harry Warden - 1

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

What I think is quite funny is the "covers" issue.

What is this Playboy we are talking about?

Never in my life have I complained about any cover, on any issue, of any magazine, of any genre. Sure some are better than others, but come on already.

I would like to know from Harry Warden a list of every cover that he doesn't like of Fangoria for the last lets say ... 3 years. Please list the magazine #'s

15. Harry Warden

Specifically - issues 293-298. If you look at the history of every Fangoria cover, you will certainly see a large variety of films on the cover. Some are really terrific, others not so much to a lesser degree, but as a whole, they have been fairly consistent. I've had the occasional gripe about covers. A bad period early on, IMO, fell between issues 102-116, though not all of them. The Penguin cover, even though I'm a huge Batman fan, was pretty bad. 105 with Body Parts was pretty bad, as was 106 and 116. There have been a few others scattered across the years like Quentin Tarentino's mug (can't remember the exact #) and some others that were silly.

However, If you look at all of the covers prior to 293 - although the subject matter differs, there is a common consistency. The have very similar layouts, the photos are not blocked by excessive banners over the main photo, they are brighter and more visual in nature. You can clearly see what film is being highlighted, and even if you don't care for the photo/film, there it is. There is continuity to the covers. When the film strip was removed, it showed a maturity in the magazine I hadn't seen before. The fonts was smaller and not obtrusive to the main cover photo. Most of those covers, 281-292 were good. The exceptions were 286-Jennifer's Body and 288-Twilight. 286 was not scary at all. It looked like they squeezed blood onto her lips, put in fake fangs from a dollar store, and there she was..a trick or treater in my neighborhood. 288 - OH DEAR GOD is all I will say. I realize that these two were covers did not fall under Mr. Alexander's tenure, but they were pretty bad, IMO.

Now ..issues 293-298 are my main gripe. These photos are bland, dull, and they are on a cover where half of the image is cut off by the banner on the bottom. These photos cannot possibly be the best image available. The Descent cover is lackluster. It's just plain dull. Splice is the same way..dull. Splatterhouse is another, once again, IMO, that can be inside but not on the cover. I can't even make out half of the photo, and once again, the banner is blocking the bottom portion of the photo. 297 is the best of them, but would be so much more graphic if it was closer, without the bar on the bottom, like when the filmstrip was gone altogether. (issues 281-292).

298 - Gene Simmons - sorry..he is, IMO, hardly a horror icon. With so many films to cover, this is just unacceptable. It is by far the worst cover EVER. The painting isn't that good at all. I've seen better work in high school art classes. I don't care that a professional artist painted it or not, it is simply bad, bad, bad!!! A photo of Simmons spewing blood all over his mouth while onstage would have been better than this, but there are soooo many other true horror icons that could be placed on the cover. How about Vincent Price? Christopher Lee? Peter Cushing, or better yet, a collage of Hammer greats with a retrospective piece inside. How a special effects guy with some gruesome character, like Tom Savini, the KNB fellows...Christ..even a tribute to Ray Harryhausen or the marvelous Roy Ashton from Hammer, who did some of the most incredible make-up ever (i.e..Peter Cushing's dead return in Tales From the Crypt, 1972). Do a retro cover. I not opposed to a cover with a real person, just opposed to those who haven't contributed to horror. Simmons may have contributed to rock music, certainly, and may have a slight, albeit. very slight horror image, but not cover material. All of the covers from 293 on are too busy with multiple images, fonts, graphics of red blood (??) that blotch everything else out. You don't know where to look first, and frankly, they hurt my head. :lol:

Baggio - I can appreciate not understanding why I'm upset over the "cover" issue. It's obviously isn't a big deal to you. Not so with me. The cover is the main selling point of any magazine. Sure, perhaps a younger audience wouldn't know some of the folks I've listed, but there are multitudes of other people who have truly contributed to the horror genre that have never, ever gotten a magazine cover or many tributes that are simply more deserving, IMO, than Gene Simmons. I can't explain it any other way. I've not been happy with the new direction period, but something about the Simmons cover just pushed me over the edge. It was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

Also, the articles are short, fluffy and not detailed in the least. Since issue 293, it like reading a tabloid, rather than THE journal to horror, a honor I once thought should be bestowed on Fangoria.

That has changed for the worst. For what it's worth, that's my opinion in a nutshell.

16. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

What if Lady Gaga was on the cover? I hear she's very popular in the horror community.

17. Harry Warden

And the byline could say--How to become a Horror Icon is three easy steps!! :D

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So essentially if they would lose the film strip on the bottom or make it smaller & move it to the side, that would be a lot better.

If that is just one small part of it, why didn't you just state that and email suggestions to Fangoria months ago? or start a poll on the Fangoria site, about the covers. Better than just trashing it, no?

P.S. - I wanted to point out that in all the Fangoria discussions in PAST threads, I don't think the covers ever came up. It was always I haven't read Fangoria in years,... etc. I now read Horrorhound & Rue Morgue for various reasons.

19. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

+1

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

This made me laugh and cry at the very same time.