imdb strikes again

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Deus Ex Machina, Sep 15, 2004.

1. I'm sure like me most people who've seen the oringinal Japanese film Ring find it superior to the remake but I saw this review on the imdb:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2004
  2. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Hahaha... ahh the MTV crowd. :)

3. yeah...there's 'missing the point' and there's what this guy did

4. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Yep, fo sho! :) Just wait until The Grudge opens... Dark Water, etc... (sigh) :)

5. Atmims

Atmims Guest

I don't see anything wrong with that, it's just an opinion. I prefer the original (it scared the shit out of me) but I saw that one first and the movie wasn't spoiled by hype yet.
    This guy watched the remake first. He probably went in with no expectations and it worked. After enjoying the remake first I can see how one would be dissapointed in the original.

6. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I saw Ringu before all the hype as well and really enjoyed it.I enjoyed the remake too.

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Guest

I watched Ringu first and after seeing that it was hard to like The Ring. The Ring was just "ok" to me and after I watched Ringu I see no point in watching The Ring when I can just watch Ringu.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Everyone has a right to their own opinion. Although i almost always preffer the Original version of any movie. (It's takes more talent to invent something then to re-do it.) I did think that in this rare occasion the American version did do the Foriegn version justice. I do though preffer the Original.

9. sacateca

sacateca Guest

Well, opinions are opinions, after all. There's nothing wrong if someone likes Clooney's remake of Solaris over Tarkovski's philosophical masterpiece, either, but...in the least i can say that it'll be probably pointless to have a meaningful discourse about movies and art with him.

i found the remake of Ring just full of american dramatizations and typical characters (which is disappointing as Naomi Watts is actually one of the better actresses around), plus the plot had been "streamlined"/"pocketlined" (to hit the lowest common denominator-point). If someone prefers it, that's fine, but it says something about his frame of mind being utterly incompatible with mine.

sacateca

10. Just the fact that this guy paid $100 for all 3 original Ring films proves he's an idiot.

11. yeah...you can get them for what? $25 off eBay?

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm not sure what the problem is here, other than the "reviewer" liking the American version more (which is certainly his/her right)

A better IMDB laugh happened last week, when there was a review of Hero in the local newspaper. They opened with, "Here is a quick Chinese lesson: Kono kuni wa mada honto ni hero wo shiranai - which means This Country Has Not Known a True Hero - Yet. Now, that may not impress your Chinese friends, but it's....."
    The translation is correct of course, but it DEFINITELY won't impress your Chinese friends when you simply steal the Japanese tag line from IMDB.

Another favorite, I don't know if it's corrected, is the character name in Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, Princess Yukihime. Which translates in Japanese to Princess Princess Yuki. It's either Princess Yuki or just Yukihime, but not both...

13. Sometimes even less depending on who you're getting them from.

14. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I have no problem with what was said. To be honest Ringu did nothing for me. The remake, on the other hand, did the job. Now the whole "best film" and $100 comments, that's a bit loony.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Ringu was one of the few Japanese films that lived up to the hype for me, but in all honesty, I liked the American version better, because it made it more familiar. I don't think a lot of the cultural elements of Asian films translate well. This isn't always a problem, but it sometimes keeps me from enjoying the film. Stacy is a prime example of this. As for the Grudge, the imagery was amazing, but I went through the whole film thinking, "What the F**K?" I didn't get it. I hope they translated the script for the remake to be a coherent story. I have no doubts that the imagery will be as good, being it's the same director. This is a film that could benefit from an American remake. Getting back to the Ring, the original translated very well to American audiences, and that's what made it so good. They didn't have to do much for the remake, just transpose the script and bring it to America. I like both versions, but if I were to stick one in the player, it would undoubtedly be the American one!

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I feel the complete opposite. I don't want foreign films to feel familiar to me. Half the fun i see with Asian of any foreign film is learning about the other culture and what fear means to them.I'm also thinking in the back of my mind what are they going to show me that i have never seen before that possible may not be taboo or strange for that culture but may be something our culture has never seen before and may consider shocking or God forbid original.

17. jonjonjon

jonjonjon Guest

What are you on ??
    The original eats and digests this pale, plastic remake.
    Naomi Watts, a fellow Australian, is just TERRIBLE, and poor Brian Cox - what was he doing in this utter turkey ???
    Weak, flacid, pale, try-hard and desperate. No subtlty whatsoever. When I saw the original (which I saw first), I was flabbergasted that Hollywood would even ATTEMPT to remake such a subtle, finely tuned masterpiece. But they tried. And they failed.
    This is 2 hours of my life I'm not getting back, and every time I think of Watts' annoying whiny voice in that stupid, stupid, STUPID horse scene on the boat ("I wont hurt you baby" "I wont hurt you baby" "I wont hurt you baby" - be honest now, that was just a looped scene wasnt it ? She didnt really repeat herself exactly with exactly the same annoying stupid hand gesture did she ?), I want to break things.
    A disaster, an embarassment and an irritation - this film should be burned and all trace of it expunged from the planet.

18. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

:sleepy: Nice first post...

:rolleyes:

19. I'd say that the US version pales in comparison to the Japanese original but it still kicks the ass of other US 'horror' films