Indicator / Powerhouse Films Blu-ray Release Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by baggio, Aug 22, 2017.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Figure they should have a thread where all their releases should be listed/discussed instead of separate threads imho.

http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/

* Dave/Paff maybe you could combine all Indicator threads.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Some new limited releases coming October 23rd 2017

[​IMG]

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
    • High Definition remaster
    • Original mono audio
    • Ramsey Campbell on Robert Bloch (2017, tbc mins)
    • Interview with Fiona Subotsky (2017, tbc mins)
    • Interview with actor Barbara Ewing (2017, tbc mins) TBC
    • Original theatrical trailer
    • Image gallery: on-set and promotional photography
    • New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
    • Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Laura Mayne, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
    • UK premiere on Blu-ray
    • Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
    • More TBC

#PHILTD023
    BBFC cert: 12
    REGION FREE

http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/product/torture-garden-ltd

[​IMG]

• Original mono audio
    • David Kipen on author John Bingham and screenwriter Paul Dehn (2017, tbc mins)
    • Interview with assistant director William P. Cartlidge (2017, tbc mins)
    • Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Johnny Mains, an overview of contemporary critical responses, and historic articles on the film
    • World premiere on Blu-ray
    • Limited Edition of 3,000 copies
    • More TBC

#PHILTD022
    BBFC cert: 15
    REGION FREE

http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/product/fragment-of-fear-ltd

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    satans-sadists and russweiss like this.
  3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

September 23 2017

[​IMG]

• Original mono audio
    Blind Terror: the alternative UK cut
    Norman Eshley on 'See No Evil' (2017, 11 mins): a new interview with the British actor
    The Two Versions: a detailed comparison of the differences between the US and UK cuts
    • Alternative Italian title sequence
    • Limited edition exclusive booklet with a new essay by Chris Fujiwara, an interview with Richard Fleischer, and an overview of contemporary critical responses
    • UK premiere on Blu-ray
    • Limited Dual Format Edition of 3,000 copies

#PHIDFE045
    REGION FREE

http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/product/see-no-evil-dfe

4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Looking forward to this one myself:

October 16 2017:

[​IMG]

MANIAC (Michael Carreras, 1963)
    THE GORGON (Terence Fisher, 1964)
    THE CURSE OF THE MUMMY'S TOMB (Michael Carreras, 1964)
    FANATIC (Silvio Narizzano, 1965)
    Release date: 16 October 2017
    Limited Blu-ray Edition (UK Blu-ray premieres)

Four classics from Hammer, each presented on Blu-ray for the very first time in the UK. Whether it's a mad man brandishing a welding torch, a mythical monster who's looks can kill, an ancient royal with diabolical powers, or a mad woman wielding a pair of scissors, this set has something to unease everybody. Containing a wealth of new and exclusive extra features – including title-specific documentaries, cast and crew interviews, expert appreciations, introductions and more – this stunning Blu-ray-only Limited Edition box set is published in a horribly limited, numbered edition of 6,000 units.

INDICATOR LIMITED BLU-RAY EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES:
    • HD restorations of all four films
    • Original Mono audio
    • All-new documentaries exploring aspects of each film
    The Gorgon audio commentary with Daughters of Darkness’ Samm Deighan and Kat Ellinger
    The Gorgon introduction by actor and filmmaker Matthew Holness
    • New interviews with actors Barbara Shelley and Mike McStay
    • New interviews with cameramen Michael Reed and Douglas Milsome
    • Playwright Matthew Lombardo on Tallulah Bankhead and Fanatic
    Hammer’s Women – an exclusive series of filmed appreciations of Nadia Gray, Barbara Shelley, Jeanne Roland and Tallulah Bankhead
    • Original trailers and promotional films
    • Promotional and on-set photography, poster art and archive materials
    • Four box set exclusive booklets with new essays, contemporary reviews, historic articles, and full film credits
    • UK premieres on Blu-ray
    • Limited edition box set of 6,000 copies
    ...AND MORE!

#PHILTD054
    REGION FREE
    EAN: 5037899071274

http://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/product/hammer-volume-one-fear-warning

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    baggio and satans-sadists like this.
  5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

From Indicator Facebook:

Our two launch titles, released 10 months ago, are now both OOP. They will reappear soon as BD-only but with no booklet. Same disc content.
    [​IMG]

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

My personal opinion is that they should stay OOP. No BD-only version, just the limited version that's it. 10 months is a long enough time to sell two very popular titles. Non limited version kinda cheapens the product line, considering everything thing they sell is limited to 3000 copies.

7. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i don't see a problem with this

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

"Cheapens"? These are already relevantly cheap and not that different from the price of other retailed discs. And it's just a booklet. Not uncommon itself.

I don't see why the films themselves have to be taken out of circulation because a few "collectors" paid a quid or two extra for a series of inked pages. Especially larger titles like these. It's the same thing with Synapse. It's not just that I'm getting a steelbook. I'm helping them keep afloat so they can bring me more of the same. And I'm not going to bogart the films themselves for a few extra bucks that went to the right place anyways. That they live to give me another film and another is truly reward enough.

If you jumped on early and helped them get out of the red and into the black you get a nice token of their esteem. That's it. I don't see a problem with this.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Yes Cheapens. They sold the product with the intent to make it special. As ALL companies do when they sell a limited edition movie. If we can get the exact same thing minus a tiny "booklet" for a couple dollars less then nobody would buy the limited version unless you got a thing for booklets. It was sold as a limited version with all these extras, new remaster etc... This can all be now had with a unlimited version just without the booklet. It would be different if it just the movie and a trailer, but no EVERY extra is included.

At least Vinegar Syndrome has the courtesy to tell you that your getting a limited cover and that's the reason why it costs a little more. Example first 1000 get a special cover. And they tell you they will be selling the film without the limited cover too, so one can make their own decisions. Other companies have done this as well. Indicator said NOTHING. They sold it as Limited Edition 5000 copies. This was the first that they revealed that they would print more in their most recent facebook page news. They sold it on the intent to sell out. If people knew they would be printing blu without booklets, they would have had a harder time selling out 5000 copies.

Now we know that when Indicator says limited edition, they will probably print more. Like how we know Synapse tends to print different versions of movies beyond their limited. They put out a great product, but now we know there's no rush to get their merchandise. BTW, they took 10 months to sell out two "larger titles". If they were in such demand they would have sold out in a month. Kinda like Twilight did, which was almost double the price. Well they didn't so I don't get the continue printing anyways.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

People routinely buy Arrow releases that are limited first pressings with just the booklet being the difference maker, for five or more years, so a little more than nobody must be buying these. With nary a "Limited Edition" on those Arrow covers when it's just a booklet. For example the recently released Wolf Guy. And like Arrow, Indicator is based in the UK, so they're following a sales model that has served a regional company well enough to expand into a larger market region of the US.

So no. Just no.

They said plenty in their description for anyone and everyone to read:
    So no. Just no.

Selling out a first print in less than a year is pretty damn good. In a few months would be better. But in less than a year is pretty good. Closing out the books and being in the black at the end of the fiscal year is defined as "profit" in a Business 101 course.

So no. Just no.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

You entirely missed the point and everything you gave examples to completely ignored my valid points. No need to discuss this further.

So no. Just no to EVERYTHING you just said.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Indicator shared this on Facebook on Saturday, so expect the November announcements this week.

Myron Breck and Katatonia like this.
  13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but I would just rather as many people as possible be able to get ahold of these and be able to see these cool films the best way possible.

14. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Agree.

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I can't agree with keeping these titles limited. I'd rather they stay available for people to see. Arrow does this sort of thing all the time and no one cares. In fact, I'm very happy they do. If not I likely would have missed out on titles like The Burbs and Big Trouble in Little China as those are both at the no booklet stage and I only recently got around to picking them up.

Steel76 likes this.
  16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Bottom line the company puts out nothing but limited edition releases. Just now they announced they will release non limited versions of two titles. The ONLY titles in there entire catalog that went OOP. They completely changed their soul practice. The basically changed the company's business model to sell non limited edition releases. They UNLIKE several other companies, based their entire catalog on special limited edition releases only. Several of their catalog consists of films that have been released already, so these films could be bought elsewhere. But their versions of these films & (never released before films)were special, hence the limited editions.

From Indicator:

"INDICATOR is a British Blu-ray label owned and operated by Powerhouse Films Ltd, London, England. Founded by industry veterans with a passion for physical media, INDICATOR is proud to make available an extensive range of classic and criminally overlooked films in expertly encoded Blu-ray Limited Editions, many of which are world premiere releases.

Mastered from the finest available materials, INDICATOR releases also contain lovingly produced and assembled extra features, and include new and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing. Limited Editions come packaged in full-front cases and contain exclusive booklets featuring newly commissioned essays and contemporary interviews, articles or reviews."

Imho, I think I have a valid point pertaining to Indicator. This is not my feelings toward every other Blu-ray company. This is not to discourage people from buying films they want or making it that they can't get them. But they sold product on the basis of exclusivity, now they changed their minds. Arrow and others that have been mentioned don't do this. They have some films massed produced, some that are limited, and some films have two versions, all which are upfront with the customers. Indicator ONLY sells one type, LIMITED EDITION ........... until just now after that announcement a week ago.

But, seeing how people here don't like limited versions, I guess we can all agree that no company should put out limited edition anything, ever.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone said they would never want limited editions to be an option (I love getting nice limited sets of films that I love) but I personally think they shouldn't be the only option.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Me too, more than one options is key. Just be upfront with the customers and don't base the company on limited edition releases only if you're planning to do otherwise. Even Bill gets this correct :cool:

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I've bought a couple of indicator releases, and this whole thing about their entire catalogue being limited is news to me. I guess I can understand baggio's frustration. I mean if he opted to buy an indicator release over something else because he was concerned about it going oop, or if he paid more than he would have wanted to otherwise, only to then have the title released more widely, then sure - I can see why he'd be upset. I bought the arrow scarlet hellraiser box when it was region B, only to then have a region A release announced a few months later. I was fairly annoyed by that too. But I think, at the end of the day, having these films available to as many people possible is the most important thing.

Edit: I just looked at my Happy Bday to Me release, and on the back it says "Limited Dual Format Release: 5000 Copies". I have to say, that seems pretty clear. I don't know what Body Double or whatever the other oop title said...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    baggio and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

They said the same thing for Body Double "Limited Dual Format Release: 5000 Copies" All their releases say this. Actually the copies will be different on some releases. John Carpenter's Vampires was 7000, same as Ghosts from Mars. Hardcore is 3000 copies. Sinbad Collection was 6000 (and was numbered) So yeah, like I was saying Indicator is in the "limited" business.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017