Indiephantom's Halloween top ten 2008

Discussion in 'General' started by indiephantom, Oct 31, 2008.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I figured we could use at least one more top ten list. Here's my "unofficial" one to mark my eight happy years on this forum.:banana:

[​IMG]

10. Uncle Sam
    Seems the most appropriate thing for an election year like this one. Lustig's film from a Larry Cohen script is a bit slow-moving at times and is more clever than scary, but it has visual execution and invention to spare. I was happy to watch this again recently, and the costume is Halloween perfection.

[​IMG]

9. Silent Rage
    Yes, I was excited to see this film become the first inductee into our recent Norris/Bronson poll. It's a shitkicker of a Bronson classic that blends martial arts and monster movie with a slasher-flick sensibility. Fuckin' classic. We never did get the damn sequel that is teasingly hinted at in the closing freeze frame. Here's hopin'. ;)

[​IMG]

8. Vamp
    Makeup and tight clothing work wonders on the ultra-fit body of Grace Jones. She's so sexy as the title Vamp that I was blown away when I first saw this. :eek: It's a great film to revisit on Halloween. Dark turns around every corner, and I actually really like Chris Makepeace. I mean the guy was in My Bodyguard and Meatballs. Those are classics from my childhood.

[​IMG]

7. "Go to the Head of the Class" from Amazing Stories
    This was the Halloween episode of Spielberg's anthology series in its sophomore season. A special one-hour edition; it remains my favorite episode. Directed by Robert Zemeckis and starring Christopher Lloyd as a sadistic high school teacher who creatively punishes students. This aired with a parental warning on NBC back in 1986, and I was creeped out. Perfect Halloween viewing. Only available on VHS (and LD, as Paff has informed me).

[​IMG]

6. After Hours
    This is actually my favorite Martin Scorsese film. He made it in 1985 during that rather odd time in his career between The King of Comedy and New York Stories. For some reason, I've always enjoyed these films the most. This isn't a horror film, but it's one dark journey with Griffin Dunne's character essentially longing for a wet dream and winding up in a nightmare. Funny cameos by the likes of Cheech & Chong. *Scorsese also directed an episode of Amazing Stories this same year called "Mirror, Mirror" and it's worth a look, too.

[​IMG]

5. Hell House
    Every October in Dallas, the Trinity Church puts on a haunted house to "scare" the demons out of the young people who visit it. Instead of offering the traditional ghouls, witches and goblins...visitors are treated to graphic scenes of botched abortions, suicides, domestic violence, and rape. This documentary chronicles the elaborate undertaking from the scripting and casting to the construction of the house itself...there are even incidents staged around the building, such as a smashed car with drunk driving victims. Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, and I'm certainly not a fan of religion, but this haunted house is creepy and dare I say, so are its operators. Intriguing documentary.

[​IMG]

4. The Hillside Stranger
    Chuck Parello's version of this creepy story is one of the better exploitation serial killer films I've seen in recent years. C. Thomas Howell and Nicholas Turturro unleash their inner demons in this sleazy, satisfying film that captures its period detail well within its modest budget. As much as I love Fincher's Zodiac, I'm a real fan of true crime pics that don't skimp on the nastiness.

[​IMG]

3. End of the Line
    Maurice Deveraux's excting underground creepshow was just voted one of Canada's all-time top ten best horror films. I couldn't agree more, and am so happy this has finally arrived on DVD. If the real-life religious extremists in Hell House were too passive for you, then maybe you'll find the warped cultits in this balls-to-the-wall ride more fun. Some of the best jump scares in recent memory are in this film. Import it if you're looking for a real treat from the North.

[​IMG]

2. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    I just fell in love with Henry Selick's animated film when I saw it on the big screen. Forget Buzz Lightyear and Mr. Incredible...Jack Skellington may be the most overlooked animated character of the past twenty years. He sings and dances with the class of Fred Astaire, and he's from Halloweentown for Cripes sakes! I've heard the blu-ray looks terrific, so I'll be picking it up eventually. This is truly a Halloween film that everyone can enjoy, and it has a wicked sense of humor, too.

[​IMG]

1. Shadow of a Doubt
    Hitchcock films are great on Halloween. I've always been partial to this one because it's possibly the creepiest noir I can think of (next to J. Lee Thompson's Cape Fear). The performances by Teresa Wright and, particularly, Joseph Cotten stand the test of time. If you want atmosphere and classic Hollwywood storytelling, look no further. Hitchcock has lots of fun with symbolism here, and there are more than a few links between uncle Charlie and a certain vampire from Transylvania. Must-see cinema!

Thanks for reading, and Happy Halloween to everyone on the boards. Play safe.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Great picks, Indie! Seriously, a whole bunch have been added to my must see list. That SILENT RAGE poster is fucking classic. And FAMILY DOG, man that's a blast from the past. Now, come review for the site so we can feature this on the main page and so you can continue to do these officially every year. :)

3. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Is End of the Line really just out in Canada, or am I just seriously bad at doing searches at amazon? As Maurice Deveraux's Slashers number one fan, I am really anxious to see that movie.

Great list, some interesting decisions.

Now, we need more of these list before the close of business day today. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2008
  4. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Good list. It's nice to see a few picks on here that aren't typical Halloween fare. Huge fan of Vamp & After Hours. That Amazing Stories episode is also one of my favorites. Uncle Sam... not so crazy about. :p

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's also available on Laserdisc. I know, I own it.

And I've never watched Go To The Head of the Class! I only bought it for Family Dog!

6. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I have to see that Hell House documentary! I've heard so much about that "haunted house" but never realized that they had a documentary on it. Nothing is scarier than warped religious views!

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Nice list. I just watched a documentary on the history of Halloween, and they mentioned that religious haunted house. Messed up stuff. Is it just me or are hardcore religious people messed up? Hardcore Catholics were also responsible for women getting murdered as witches as well, just so they could take over pagan beliefs.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Finally found a copy of End of the Line and really, really enjoyed it. Maurice Deveraux's movies have a genuine kinetic energy and oddball sense of humor that I just have no resistance to at all. I can definitely see this being like Slashers and me liking it more each time I watch it.

Thanks to this and Maurice Deveraux's top ten lists to pointing this movie out to me, otherwise I would've still been spinning Slashers wondering when he was going to ever make another movie. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  9. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Awesome, dude. Glad you enjoyed. :glasses:

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Indie, that's one awesome list. Shadow of a Doubt is one of Hitchcock's best films, I've seen it countless times. Whenever it airs on TV, this is one of the few movies I cannot help but sit through the entire thing. Another one, strangely enough, is Meet Me in St. Louis. (Even though I own both of these.) And nice to see some love for After Hours, one of my favorite Scorsese films as well. Everything comes together so well in the film (and you really feel bad for Griffin Dunne, LOL poor guy!)

~Matt

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Really good list. Nice mix-up of the suspense/horror genre. Especially the Silent Rage & After Hours pick.