Inferno - Argento Classic?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by All Hallows Eve, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Just finished watching argento's Inferno and I must say I'm a little disappointed, sure visually it was superb but the story lacked in so many areas it was silly, this was almost as bad as Phantom Of The Opera. No wonder he hasn't made the 3rd of the mothers trilogy, the first one rocked this one sucked.

Michael

2. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

damn, i liked Inferno alot. not exactly sure why, but i did. sure it was no Tenebre, but it still rocked.

3. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I loved <B>Inferno</B> too: it's my second favourite Argento film, after <B>Suspiria</B>.

4. cjrushbrook

cjrushbrook Guest

Gotta say I'm a big Inferno fan myself, although I completely understand why so many people dislike it. It does seem to have a different, slightly less intense atmosphere when compared with his earlier works, but for some bizarre reason it just hit all my buttons. The day I got my AB disc of this I just went into pleasure overload!

Still haven't seen Phantom Of The Opera, wouldn't mind seeing it some day even though I've only ever heard bad things about it. Think I'd feel a bit silly if I didn't at least give it a go (hmm.. maybe I'm becoming one of these 'completists' that keep getting mentioned?).

5. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

I'm a huge Argento fanatic but when it comes to "Inferno" there is really only two words I can use to describe it. "IT SUCKED". :)

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It's not one of his best, but I definitely liked it. The only Argento film that I think truly sucks is Phantom of the Opera.

7. Mika

Mika Guest

I totally agree...Inferno is not that great in my opinion but far better than Phantom of the Opera...

I am not sure what the problem with Inferno is but I think it is the fact that this movie totally lacks a good main charakter....it features a lot of charakters and as soon as you start liking them they are killed already...that movie just misses a great leading charakter like most of the other Argentos have...

It is very stylish though (like Suspiria) but my favorite Argentos ever stay Phenomena and OPERA...and these movies really have GREAT female lead charakters....i just love them both...I also like Suspiria a lot but Jessica Harper just did not do it for me...she is not attractive enough in my opinion....but I am sure lots of people would disagree...

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I dig Inferno a lot, but it sure is a strange movie, probably Argento's all-time weirdest.

As far as the lack of a central character, I've always kinda felt that the movie is about BUILDINGS and not people. You kinda get that in the opening.

I think the two scenes that fascinate me most are the opening bit with the underwater ballroom, and the secret passage at the end. What you'll notice is that in both, the secret rooms are impossibly small (the Ballroom scene begins with a trickle of water, and the final passage is just a line of ants). But the scenes progress slooooooooooowly, so slowly, that you don't realize that the secret rooms are actually bigger that the rooms that contain them, which is of course impossible.

It's a very neat trick, both visually and pacing-wise, and the fact that Argento pulled it off twice so well gives the movie 3 stars from me based on those scenes alone.

Yes, it's very strange, but also VERY subtle. And c'mon, who didn't jump when
    the guy coming to rescue Kazanian from the rats just hacks him with a cleaver

9. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I agree with Paff, the main character in <B>Inferno</B> is the building. I loved the way Argento showed us the unnatural construction of the houses, especially in the secret spaces. This was also done in <B>Suspiria</B> but I guess is was more subtle. I wonder if people hate it so much because it seems illogical... it's supposed to be. The Three Mothers are supernatural beings that live in houses constructed by an alchemist with esoteric knowledge. You just have to let the film take you into its strange, surreal world. Then you'll like it, IMO.

10. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Even more weird and bizarre then the over-the-top "Phenomena"?

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Inferno is the essense of Argento's genius. A real horror gem where everything is absurd and irrational yet everything makes sense through magic.
    I met Alan Jones once in Profondo Rosso in Rome and he had an Inferno tatoo (he adores the film too).
    It's just very... different that most eurohorror films. It doesn't want to be anything else, it doesn't want to be a garlic flavoured copy of the american and the british thrillers (as with dozens of giallos).
    It stands alone.

12. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

It hasn't worked in 5 tries! :) Still, it's probably me. Sometimes u just don't connect with a movie no matter what.

13. Re: Watched it Again

I liked it a little more than the first time, maybe its just a film that will have to grow on me, I hated suspiria the first time I saw it too.

Michael

14. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Argento's supernatural movies are very different to his giallos....they're very dreamlike and hallucinatory. Although I enjoyed Inferno, I always feel that the ending was anti-climatic...it's almost as though Argento was going to tie everything up in a third installment. Sadly, this does not seem to be the case...

As a whole, I prefer Argento's other movies. The use of lighting in Suspiria and Inferno creates beautiful scenes but the effect is so artificial that it takes me out of the film and eliminates much of the suspense for me.

15. I hate Inferno with a passion- I think it is the greatest example of ideas over story, style over substance, sequences over character. I can see why Argento might like it since it is just total directorial masturbation, but as a viewer and Argento fan, my interest went from ZERO to ZERO. I far prefer Suspiria and Phenomena, films of style with story and actual slight concern for character as well as bizarre imagry and imagination.

16. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

Inferno was the first Argento film I saw and is one of my favorites. The underwater scene has got to be one of Argento's best.

17. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    True, It was my first film I ever saw of Argento and It's one of my fav giallos. It seemed like this was unfinished, though. I guess the reason why i'm attracted to it would be how the lighting was used.

18. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

i didnt consider Inferno a giallo, nor do i consider Suspiria one

therye more supernatural flicks to me

19. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Yeah, I'd classify them as supernatural also.

20. CrumpsBro

CrumpsBro Guest

Just saw this movie for the first time the other night. I really dug the opening underwater "ballroom" scene, but thought the movie went straight downhill after that. I was bored silly by the end.

I mainly bought the 2-fer to see PHENOMENA and the joke's on me. That disk is defective and won't load in my player! :mad: