Inferno - Argento Classic?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by All Hallows Eve, Sep 6, 2002.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Inferno is a surreal journey for sure – but one that is very much worth taking. I love the film, and over time am finding that I love it more and more. There is a lot going on – but it does not follow a linear pattern of most movies. There are THREE lead characters, the sister, the brother and the building.

Now – Phenomena – that sucks.

2. Zombie Keeper

Zombie Keeper New Member

Couldn't agree more...

3. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I really dont like Inferno. If it was the first Argento flick I had seen, then I would have walked away a non-Argento fan. Thank god Opera was the first Argento movie I was exposed too.

4. McBride_01

McBride_01 Guest

Of his two "witch" films I prefer Suspiria, but Inferno is still chock full of beautiful imagery and loads of atmosphere. Two thumbs up! :)

5. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

"Phenomena" rules! Argento's most "out there", fun film and his personal favorite. :)

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

PHENOMENA is blah. I don't care if it's his favorite.

He hated CAT, so he must have bad taste :D :p ;).

7. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Yeah, I guess those horror films that feature sadistic girls school head mistresses, a girl with insect telepathy, a mutant murderous child, a razor-wielding monkey, a pit of maggots, a couple of decapitations and a Goblin/heavy metal soundtrack can come of as blah, humdrum, everyday fare. :) :) :)

8. McBride_01

McBride_01 Guest

I like Phenomena as well and can't really understand why more people don't like it. It's just plain fun! To each his own I don't guess.

9. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I do understand why people don't like <B>Phenomena</B> but I absolutely love it. It's so surreal and abstract that many people will dismiss it as being silly. I, for one, love films that teeter on the edge of reality... and then jump off the deep end.

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Perhaps "blah" wasn't the best word. I just mean it's a weird fucking movie. It defies logic, which is good in a film, but I feel some of the other moments in this film don't mesh well with the more serious aspects of it (i.e. - the first kill of the film).

The monkey does make me laugh though.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The problem with Phenomena is that it lacks any true Argento moments. It is one of his weakest visions. The girl can communicate with insects – but he does nothing with it (oh, sorry, she gets led to a glove and a house by a fly…) Other than that, the whole idea just meant nothing.

I don’t know, it just looks like a movie made by any one of a hundred different no-name horror directors.

12. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

To me, it's PURE Argento through and through. :)

13. Mr.Vengance

Mr.Vengance Guest

How about the whole notion that the insects are attracted to her and protect her. Have you seen the end? The swarm? I feel he does plenty enough with it.

14. Mattster

Mattster Guest

It has SO MANY Argento moments. Even more than some of his other films. Examples: the scissors stabbing into the floor, the glass-related deaths, the blue lighting, the unrealistically long phone cord, and the sets. Everything seems like it was ripped right out of a dream and I think that's the quality in his films that he's best known for.

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The problem with the insect angle is that it exists for it own sake. That was the point I was making. It does nothing for the story – it has no relevance to anything else (the movie is about a killer child). So it’s just tacked on with no real meaning other than it just happens.

I have the AB Phenomena. The first glass death is seriously flawed in this print. Grainy, horrible slow motion. It’s of less quality than the rest of the film for some reason. The second glass death is even worse. The lighting in the movie is really bad too. Nothing compared to Inferno or Suspiria. The lighting is bland. Blue? There are night scenes (though he lights these as though they were in the day). Certainly I do not see any of the trademark Argento style in it.

I watched this movie again last night – and I’m not overstating it for effect – I actually disliked it MORE than before. It’s real bore. I love Argento, but this one is way down the list.

16. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'll reiterate.

PHENOMENA is blah.

17. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

I rank it second in the Argento cannon right after the magnificent "Profondo Rosso". "Phenomena" has mega-doses of the "Argento style" we have come to know and love and as soon as that film starts, you know it's true and typical Dario! :) :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2002
  18. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    Phenomena may have all the Argento styles, but it didn't seem to flow like Deep Red or Tenebre. I just didn't seem to enjoy it as much as Inferno.

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Each to their own. If you think it's "typical" argento - we must define the gentleman a little differently. I'll stick this one on the shelf, and continue to advice others to avoid it. I cannot think of a single thing to recommend it. AB's poor transfer doesn't help.

20. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Had an urge to watch INFERNO this morning and I liked it more than last time. I still see it as a rather minor effort, but I see how it can get better over time.