Inferno - Argento Classic?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by All Hallows Eve, Sep 6, 2002.

1. RHINO4EVR

RHINO4EVR Guest

I must say I think Inferno is one of my favorites. Sure it makes almost no sense and there is some really funny dialogue. But how can you discredit some of the coolest scenes in any Dario Argento film. The puddle scene was great IMO, no matter how many times I see it, I still get a little freaked when her foot hits the corpses head. eww or the scene with the power outages (music) was a great idea. In fact one of my favorite scenes ever. I also enjoy the way the film deals with archetecture.(spelling) I like the way the building keeps growing. It's like an endless maze. Another argento classic

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I re-watched this today as I was pumped for more Argento after Suspiria blew me away (again) yesterday. This is also an amazing film, a bit confusing in the plot but who cares it has incredible imagery, beautifully shot dream like scenes and breathtaking sets. This has to be Argento's most underrated of his "big" films. I actually think it has the best acting of the trilogy but that's a minor point when it comes to these films. They are an experience more the a film. An assault on the senses that get better with each viewing.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Inferno isn't Argento's weakest film by a longshot. But it's so confusing that it's often frustrating. Plus, except for the main theme, I thought the Keith Emerson score was crummy.

Agreed. And I bet as soon as it comes out in a better looking and sounding DVD edition, the doubters will have to agree too.

Exactly.

And as for no "true" Argento moments, Argento's style changes every 2 or 3 movies, as a chunk, I think. If you look at Opera, you see connections between that and this movie. If you look at Inferno, you see connections there too. Suspiria, there as well.

Perhaps the film is always going to be the victim of the cuts that changed it from an hour 54 (or 55) minutes to an hour 49 minutes. It feels jerkier and less graceful than a lot of his other movies because it was the one that was chopped up the most.

I can think of several reasons to recommend it. A lot of them are small details, but I don't care. They still mean a lot to me. Jennifer Connelly's performance works for me. She seems to care about the role and makes it believable. Several of the pieces of music are excellent. I especially like "Valley," if that's the right name. But "Sleepwalking," the main theme called "Phenomena" if I have it right, "Jennifer," and "Jennifer's Friends." Also really liked "The Wind." Great damn music. That waterfall murder in the film's opening. The opening, outside the house scenes- the way Argento shot those mountains is just breath-taking. The scene later with Jennifer on the bus and with her walking up to the house. Pretty much any scene with Jennifer walking because I thought the music always heightened the surreality of it and made them very hypnotic scenes. I also liked the scene where she discovered the killer's glove in the trees. The way Argento shot the scene with Sophie going out in the windy trees in the dark to meet her boyfriend, which the music heightened as well. Jennifer's amazing scream before the insects attack the killer. The scene of her swimming underwater, especially after the killer catches on fire. The moment where Jennifer arrives at the school and the head mistress is staring at her. Argento's movies are very reliant on mystery and moments that are very inexplicable. This one is lovely and very inexplicable.

Until someone explains the "master"y of Cat o' Nine Tails, I challenge anyone who says it's a good movie. It's trash. Except for the main theme. It has absolutely no heart or soul whatsoever and it's not interesting at all. It goes completely limp with that chromosome theory. It's like Argento's version of a James Bond movie. What's impressive about a lousy espionage flick? Argento's much better with psychological and emotionally driven stories and characters than Cat, which was a near disaster, save for the camera angles and music.

Sounds like he has perfectly fine taste to me.

I disagree. But I respect the points you brought up.

For my money though, I have very little interest in insects or monkeys. And I still adore this movie. And hey, if it works on me, I'd apt to think it works a lot better than people like you would have me believe.

4. I kind of agree with dwatts--the insect angle never really pays off for me. Still, I've found lots to like about this film and watch it more often than I do Inferno.

I don't mind dreamlike or disjointed or convoluted or whatever, but the part that kills me in Inferno is there isn't any real finale. Sure,
    you get the witch lady turning into a skeleton, which is cool, but then what happens? She talks some shit, then stands there and burns to death. No climax at all.
    Suspiria at least has some sort of climax, while Inferno pounds its chest for just a brief moment before skulking away to the corner. Thumbs down, even if it does have some pretty good moments.

Maybe I just don't like Argento's supernatural stuff. To be honest, I like Opera and The Bird With The Crystal Plumage a hell of a lot more than I like Suspiria, even though I've coaxed myself into cherishing the film. On a day where I feel like being disagreeable I might even say I like Phenomena better too.

5. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Inferno is Mario Bava's last (SFX) film and one of Dario Argento's best.
    Two icons of classic Euro Horror filmmaking.