Insidious: Chapter 3

Discussion in 'General' started by The Tall Man, Oct 24, 2014.

1. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm a sucker for these films so count me in.

3. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I liked the first two very much and think this looks like another good one!

4. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Anyone heard much in regard to specific plot details? Was interested to hear about returning ghosts etc...

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Just came back from the theater, and holy shit, this was an effective horror movie.

This one was a lot darker, compared to the first two, as the comic relief was barely there this time. The jump scares in this one was VERY well done, and many of them came without warning. Two of them so severe that it sent a brutal shockwave through the theater.

Lin Shaye was superb in this one (as usual), and she also has a bigger part of the story this time.
    Some of our favorite spooks pops up as well. One of them is responsible for one hell of a scare.

It's been a while since I saw the original, but this one might actually be my favorite in the series. If there is a part 4 in the future, I hope Wan sticks around to produce that one as well.

5 out of 5

Thank you Leigh Whannell (the Director) and James Wan for almost giving me a heart attack, TWICE! ;)

6. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Yeah this was a ton of fun. The theater was packed, which says a lot for my local at a 9:30 showing. Quite a few scares that rocked the entire audience and it was never boring. I was a big fan of the new entity and think I would rank this second best of the series behind the original. I would have no problem if they continue this series.

7. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Saw this on Friday! Thought it was great! I've seen the first two so much that initially this felt quite "different". But I was soon on board with the new (and old) Ghost! I'm really looking forward to watching this series in chronological order when it's released in BD!

There's the odd bad review. But for the most part IC3 is impressing more than depressing. Hopefully the numbers are good and Chapter 4 is green lit sooner rather than later.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought it was good. Nothing to get excited about though. Better then part 2.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I loved the first and second films, but ehhhh, this was just so-so. Yes, it delivered some effective jump scares but I found most if not all were predictable throughout, and the story and writing in this third entry (a prequel) were both pretty weak. Leigh Whannell's first time directing shows some of its cracks in his direction of the actors, especially Dermot Mulroney's poor performance as the dad. Lin Shaye is always a treat of course, but I can really only recommend this one if you're a fan of the first two films and want a little more of the mystery over-explained. Because it's a prequel, if Insidious: Chapter 3 was actually the first film to be released I don't know if we'd have the sequels honestly...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Unfortunately this raked in about $23 million this weekend in the U.S. That's almost half of what the last entry pulled in. It came in third behind Spy and San Andreas (yikes). The film did well in other markets and has yet to open in some of the larger countries. I am looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I just watched the film and found it to be effective, but not as good as the prior two. If you're a fan, it doesn't disappoint, I just wish they did more with the talent involved. Certain characters only exist to introduce another character or to set up a single scare or plot point. I know that is the general formula, but I would have liked another half hour of character development (again, the cast and crew are all very talented). My only other issue is "The Further" wasn't as populated as I would have liked. All told, I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars and will be purchasing the blu-ray the first day it comes out (which I'm assuming will be early September ).

12. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I loved the first film up until the introduction of the two bumbling paranormal investigators as the comic relief. I felt this plot point deflated whatever suspense and sense of dread the film had built up until that point and kind of reminded me of the two idiot cops in Halloween V who also pretty much bogged down that film.
    I thought Insidious 2 was a huge step down, for me anyway. The film did not compel me to empathize at all with Patrick Wilson's torment and I thought it lacked much of the original's sense of innovation and ambition. It was dark and twisted, but upon repeated viewings it's kind of average and mundane for me at least.
    The Conjuring exploited the 'demonic possession' angle much more effectively in my opinion.
    Anyway combining the letdown of the sequel and the absence of Rose Byrne in the third entry I'm having a hard time getting excited about his one truthfully.
    Will rent it at some point.

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Can't argue with that. God she is gorgeous.

14. Anthropophagus

As I remarked to someone recently, the four horsemen of the Apocalypse could be at your door but looking into that woman's eyes you'd still feel all was right with the world.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Lol. That's a great way of putting it. I feel the same way about Alexandra Daddario, Amy Adams and Alice Eve.

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Wife and I saw this tonight. We both enjoyed it. I'd rank it higher than the second one but the original is still miles ahead.

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The second film doesn't get a lot of love. I really enjoyed it. I need to rewatch both films again. The woman with the frozen smiling face in the original with the creepy music is just so great. I very much enjoyed the antagonist in Chapter 3. I hope this series continues.

18. Anthropophagus

I don't mean to sound contrarian but I just saw this and had a really hard time with it.
    Lin Shaye was brilliant and captivating as usual and it started very strong, however it lost steam quickly for me.
    I did not like Chapter 2 either but at least it seemed like a fresher angle with the outright possession story and had some genuinely creepy moments.
    Chapter 3 just seemed too damned similar to the first which was a far superior film, there were a couple of characters that I really did not care for either. It got dull quickly, perhaps I have just seen too many Conjurings, Annabelles, Jessabelles, Insidiouses and Sinisters lately. My expectations were low and I had not really intended to see it, but a friend invited me and I relented. Formulaic would be an applicable term for me.
    Happy I saw it, but not a standout film for me. One viewing will suffice.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It needed to be fleshed out more. The supporting characters were there only to establish a single plot point, scare or character introduction. The brother's existence in the film was solely to introduce Lin Shaye's associates. The boyfriend next door was in the film to introduce one scare. The cat lady was used for one reason. Those other recent films you mention (except for Annabelle & Sinister) had a more depth and much better actors. We all know Annabelle was a rushed cash in. I think this film had enough talent for it to have been better. It's a lost opportunity to have been better, but I'm sure the studio is happy with the box office draw overall.

20. Anthropophagus

Yes, I agree.
    However I would not put Sinister in the same category as Annabelle.
    For me, Sinister delivered to a degree and featured a great antagonist.
    Annabelle was b-movie territory with some quirky nods to Polanski.