Intruder (Uncut): Cover Art & Specs

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shawn Francis, Oct 5, 2011.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Currently $12.59 at DeepDiscount, as posted in the other thread. Hell of a bargain!

2. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Can't wait for this!

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

This is only my first time ordering from them, but I'm pretty sure I've heard before that they send out their titles early to people who pre-order direct from them.

They do go ahead and bill your credit/debit card early when you place the order...in case anyone is wondering.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yeah, a workprint dvr just isn't worth $17.40 to me, the diff in prices from ordering direct vs DD's current sale. When rips show up on the web, please share with us cheap bastards.:)

5. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yeah, I sent them the following e-mail last night...

"Hi.
    I´m writing about the upcoming blu-ray release of "Intruder". I´ve noticed from your site that the version you´re selling has a bonus DVD-R but you only ship to America and Canada. I think this is a wrong move from your company to us that live in Europe and other parts of the Globe. While Synapse is an American company, you may well know that you have fans all over the world. Me, having all Synapse horror releases, and as a fan of Intruder, I´m very sad I can´t get this bonus DVD-R solely for the fact that I live in Europe. Like I said before, many Synapse fans and supporters also live in Europe so I think we should deserve a chance to get this bonus. A casual horror buyer can get this solely for the fact that he orders from this site because he lives in America, but, the European fans can´t because of where we live. Is there another way for people outside of America and Canada to get this edition with the bonus DVD-R?"

They replied with this...

"It’s not like it was OUR choice. You know, sometimes, the people who license us the movies forbid us selling outside of our licensed territory. We we buy the rights to a film, we don’t always own worldwide.
    The North American only shipping was mandated in our contractual agreement."

I truly don´t think it´s a licensing issue because that would make the "Intruder" release "region A locked" and probably would be sold only on their site. I also don´t believe that the copyright owners would license the DVD-R workprint alone.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If it's not a licensing issue then why don't they ship world wide? It's money in the bank right?

It's 100% a licensing issue. Whoever owns the rights to Intruder may want to sell rights to Germany, UK, etc, etc, and an American company shipping world wide would mean the rights owner would get less money licensing to these other countries. German distributors would demand a lower licensing cost because they're competing with US distributors. The way Synapse is able to keep its costs down is to buy distribution rights for only the US and agree not to ship outside the US.

The region locking is interesting but the fine print on contracts can be tricky things. I don't know if Synapse has ever said it, but most distributors who have admitted as much say that if they can go regionless they do. Every contract for every movie can be different. Criterion has said as much, that some films they can't do on Blu-ray because HD distribution is not in their contract for that film.

It's also somewhat comical that your email is making a suggestion like they never thought of something like that before. "Holy shit, guys did you hear? There's this place called Europe, and there are fans there who exchange currency for products there just like here! Who knew?" :rolleyes:

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I'm sure the workprint will be on a torrent at some point, so you can get it then!

8. Stige

Stige Active Member

well .....either that or maybe I have something others desperatly want and can make a trade somehow

strange thing is i HAD the workprint( I assume time code and everything) a long time ago on VHS and threw it away when the dvd came

9. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

i love the cover, as it reminds me of old camp video vhs covers like gore-met zombie chef from hell and the gamut of genesis video covers, with cheap halloween props lying around some fake blood...

10. streetlight

streetlight Member

I agree with mike. Synapses cover looks quite good, a couple negatives though - I really don't like the translucent FANGORIA logo in the bottom right hand corner and the background looks very cool (aisles of the store) and could have been made a but more bold to be noticed

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

:lol:
    methinks that's just a watermark.

12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Yes, that´s a watermark.
    The picture on the Synapse website...
    [​IMG]

13. Katatonia

Wow, I unexpectedly received Intruder in the mail yesterday from Synapse! :evil:

The DVD-R was hand numbered "Intruder Workprint 062/500". No printed label on it, just a Verbatim DVD-R.

Yeah sure, I paid more for it... but it was well worth getting it early.

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Then mine would say Sony...:D

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

my money order arrived but synapse's offices closed saturdaY i guess so it says notice left accoridng to delivery confirmation number whatever that means

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ideally I would buy all my Synapse Films discs directly from them, but I can't really afford that. But if they do little things like this I'll buy more from them, as I often do from distributors with other similar offers.

Word is this has been very successful and they may sell out rather quickly.

17. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I just placed my order directly with Synapse. I figure Amazon is selling this for $21.99 + $2.98 shipping, so it would be $24.97 total and Synapse is selling it for $29.95 with free shipping, so for and extra $5 you get a limited workprint version and shipping a month early. Yeah, that was a no brainer.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  18. Katatonia

Synapse have really done an A+ job on this one. Intruder looks better than it probably ever has before. The HD transfer has a healthy natural layer of grain, and vibrant colors. You can certainly see far more background details than ever before. And the lossless mono audio is clear and gets the job done accurately.

The real gem of the extras is the 39-minute "Slashed Pieces" (in full 1080p) Featurette, which features a ton of members from the crew and cast. Charles Band even appears!

I can try and post some screengrabs from the DVD tomorrow if anyone's interested. I'd post some from the Blu-ray, but my AnyDVD software needs updating for that.

The workprint DVD-R runs a little under 2 minutes longer than the director's cut on the Blu-ray/DVD, and there are no opening or end credits in the workprint version – so it's really a bit longer there too. And even though a screen comes up when you pop in the disc indicating it was sourced from a VHS, it looks quite clear and detailed for a VHS transfer. There are rarely any video artifacts and the audio is clear. It actually looks far better than I'd hoped.

19. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

What is that music that ted raimi is listening to? It is totally stuck in my head now. Also, the film looks great. Synapse really did a great job with this transfer.

20. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Wow, people are receiving their copies already, a month early? I guess it pays to pre-order sometimes. I wonder if this is a tactic they use to get people to buy stuff directly from them. In any case, I hope to receive my copy soon even though I just put the order in.