Is every Godzilla film out on DVD?

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by zombiecraig, Jan 6, 2006.

1. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

Godzilla DVD releases that I have:

King Kong vs. Godzilla
    Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster
    Son of Godzilla
    Godzilla vs. Hedorah
    Godzilla vs. Gigan
    Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
    Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
    Godzilla 2000
    Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
    Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
    Godzila against Mechagodzilla
    Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
    Godzilla: Final Wars

Now, I know there are some others out there. There are the Columbia/TriStar/Sony double features (which I was waiting on because they don't have the Japanese language tracks, but I'll likely give in). And then there is that boxed set with several Godzilla films plus Rodan. But those are not widescreen, correct? So, I won't be getting those.

What about Godzilla 1985, Godzilla vs. Biolante, Godzilla Raids Again (Gigantis the Fire Monster), Godzilla vs. Megalon & Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster? Have they ever been released on DVD in the US? And if not, are there quality DVDs from other regions for these films with English subtitles?

What about other kaiju films on DVD? Mainly Toho, of course. I know someone released the Mysterians, right? And I swear that I saw Varan on a list somwhere. What about Mothra?

I would really appreciate being informed as I would like to add some more to my DVD collection and upgrade from VHS. My Godzilla vs. Megalon cassette only has about two more viewings left in it...

2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Films you are missing

Godzilla Uncut Japanese version - Never been releasesd in the US, but might be finally released this year

Godzilla Raids Again Uncut Japanese version - Serious follow up to the 1st film, avoid the Disney Gigantis the Fire Monster cut like the plague.

King Kong vs Godzilla Uncut Japanese Version - may never be released in the US, it really does feel like a totally different movie and is far better than the US cut.

Mothra Vs Godzilla aka Godzilla Vs The Thing - One of the best films, the only version of Godzilla were the US version is actually BETTER! Toho added a cool US Navy Battle that only exist in the US version.

Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster Uncut Japanese Version - This version has a plot that actually makes sense! There is only a crappy bootleg of the butchered US cut, but a really nice Japanese DVD of the UNCUT version.

Monster Zero -The Japanese cut is 4 mins longer, but I perfer the US edit since Nick Adams isn't dubbed in the US cut.

Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster - The new US DVD is great, the Japanese DVD has more extras but it also cost a lot more.

Son of Godzilla - The New US DVD is the one to get , it's uncut too!

Destroy all Monsters - There is only a crappy US dvd, but the Japanese DVD is awesome

Godzilla's Revenge - The US dub is unwatchable, but the Japanese version is pretty cool, and yes Minya (Minilla) is a girl! The name should tip you off but the US cut gave her a goofy male voice that sounds like Barney :(

Godzilla vs. Hedorah - The New US DVD is the one to get , though I miss the old dub just to hear Save the Earth with the cool English lyrics, but that version isn't on DVD :(

Godzilla vs. Gigan - The New US DVD is the one to get , it's uncut too, the gore isn't cut.

Godzilla Vs Megalon - Not on DVD yet, though belive it or else, until that Sony Remake this was the film that made the most money in the US! The Japanese version is a min longer.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - The New US DVD is the one to get , it's uncut too!

Terror of Mechagodzilla - may never be released in the US uncut, since it is the only film with nudity (fake breast shot), the US version is pretty cut, and the dub is terrible. The Toho DVD is awesome.

The Return of Godzilla aka Godzilla 1985 - The two cuts are very different from one another, really like two different movies, the Japanese version is far, far, far better. It was almost released uncut in the US, but there were problems with the rights and it never happen, remember that guys? The Toho DVD is worth getting.

Godzilla Vs Biollante - I belive HBO might still own the rights to the US release, no DVD to speak of here. Both versions are uncut, the HBO version is in english, that's the only difference.

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah - Was released as a compressed two in one DVD with mono audio, argh.

Godzilla vs Mothra - Was released as a compressed two in one DVD with mono audio, argh.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II - It was finally released on DVD in the US, worth getting, even if it doesn't have the deleted scenes and the other cool extras.

Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla - Was released as a compressed two in one DVD with mono audio, argh.

Godzilla vs. Destoroyah - Was released as a compressed two in one DVD with mono audio, argh and the sweet montage ending was cut out for some reason :mad:

The US version of Godzilla 2000 is a different cut from the Japanese version, but it's a better cut IMHO.

All of the other Godzilla films are the same cuts in both versions, the only difference is that the Japanese DVDs are loaded with extras and the US versions are all barebones.

I hope that helps :)

3. I really wanna see the Japanese version of the '54 Godzilla. I hear it has a totally different feel. I hope we can see an R1 eventually.

4. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

The US version just took bits and peices from it, out of order at that.

5. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Any word on the Criterion Gojira rumour? That would be sweet.

6. Damed

Damed Guest

Last I heard Toho wants to much $$$.

7. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

As you know, Japanese DVD's are the most expensive in the world, so much so that if you live in Japan it is actually cheaper to just buy import DVD's. As a result, in order to make Japanese people buy Japanese DVD's and the same goes for CDs, their DVD's tend to have a lot of stuff that no other releases have. Their SE editions are always over the top with TONS of goodies. Toho, since they print their own DVDs, do not want the Japanese to buy Imported Godzilla DVDs. This is why it is only now that Sony has released UNCUT DVDs in the US, the 1st time these films have been uncut in the US other than bootlegs, however Toho's DVDs still are loaded with extras while the Sony DVDs are barebones.

Criterion never had any plans to make a Gojira DVD. This rumor was started when a company released a remastered uncut print of Gojira for the US art house scene. This company has remastered many of the prints that Criterion uses on their DVD's and thus people began to assume all kinds of things, but they never had the rights to release their print on DVD. There were never any plans for a Criterion Gojira DVD. That was just wishful thinking.

There is a new rumor of a Gojira US DVD, but I don't know if that is really going to happen.

Special note should be made of Tokyo Shock's Toho DVDs as they have all been 1st class. They have been releases lots of cool non-Godzilla but still related DVDs. For more info and new pics, see this: http://www.henshinonline.com/index.html

8. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

That's funny. Criterion wants too much $$$ for their titles too.

I' don't like paying inflated prices for dvds. Especially for genre films.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Criterion isn't releasing Gojira, but rather Classic Media is. From what i read on Monster Zero, CM went back to TOHO to get materials for their upcoming releases of Gojira, Godzilla Raids Again, Ghidrah, Monster Zero, vs Mothra, G's Revenge and Terror of Mechagodzilla. I suspect this year will be a good one for G dvd releases! :D

10. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I hope they will release a good DVD of Destroy all Monsters at one point and hopefully the uncut version of Godzilla 85.

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Awesome list KR. As a lifelong Godzilla fan I've been wating to get my hands on uncut versions of all 23 (?) films. I've held off on the new Sony releases due to not wanting to pay $23.99 for a barebones disc I know is going to drop in price eventually. I really hope CM does a good job on the new re-issues since I've been waiting to get the '54 for a while and for a good copy of my favorite, Godzilla vs. Monster Zero.

And fuck that Destroy All Monsters disc. It not only isn't anamorphic, it still doesn't have chapter stops! I e-mailed ADV and they had the nerve to tell me I was wrong and should check my player settings!

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

These DVDs were also unmatted full frame were they not? The movies were 1.85:1 native (according to IMDb) so the HD remastering will be 16:9 so it's worth waiting out on that as well.

13. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Have to rain on someone's parade.
    Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster and Godzilla vs. Megalon are on a cheapo DVD with both original AIP prints on them. Check ebay.
    And Godzilla vs. Megalon also got released on Alpha awhile back but got pulled.
    Just to set the record straight.
    And I have to contest that the US cut of Godzilla's Revenge is fun and great. What are you trying to do? Ruin my childhood?

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Those prints look like hell. Why would anyone want those is beyond me.

crap too.

Well, if you like your DVDs to look worst than your VHS tapes then you can track em down :confused:

But for Godzilla fans, I would hope that they would want the best versions possible just like any other films.

I grew up watching super cut Italian horror films, I much rather keep my uncut DVDs, and never want to see those crappy us edits again.

15. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

freaking nightmare, the VHS were better, at least they were not mono!

We have come a long way from crappy Godzilla DVDs that look worst than bootlegs. Hell, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are almost here, and we are just now starting to get DVD quality prints of these films. I want to keep going forward, not backwards. Don't buy them, we don't need to take that crap anymore.

Companies for the longest time threated these films like cheese crap who fans didn't care about quality.

They may have plenty of cheese, but they are not crap and we do care.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  16. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

The releases that Simitar put out were not that bad (they were widescreen).Though i'm sure the new releases will improve on them.

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Not all of them. I have the Godzilla Vs The Thing (Mothra) and it is the best version of that film on DVD, just saw it today in fact. Terror was cut and full screen with a nasty print. Some of their other prints had pixelation problems. They are also all OOP and the company no longer exist, yet they were the best G-Fans had for awhile there, until like last year, LOL, when Sony released their DVDs and Media Blasters started releasing their DVDs for the classic run.

18. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I love those Simitar releases - the best transfer being GODZILLA'S REVENGE (I know...of all films). I wonder if those are forthcoming from Sony in 16x9 versions?

19. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

I really hope whatever is released retains the old english dubs. The newer ones take all the fun out of these movies.

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

yes, the Classic Media (not sony) releases will be 16x9.