Is Fangoria coming to an end!?!?!?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I could care less they left a bad taste in my mouth. I went to a Fangoria convention a few years ago. Everybody there was so snotty & rude as hell. I ended up just buying a few bootlegs & splitting. I could go on & on about how much the event sucked. Like for Example people claiming to be at the event & not showing up etc etc. Never again waste of my time & energy. Even Elvira's tits couldn't save the pathetic convention. To this day I have never attended anymore conventions. I know I am not the only one to have a bad experience. I did like the magazine though!

On a positive note I will say in Fangorias defense. Ahem modern horror films suck total shit horror is dead. Probably shouldn't say that on a horror board. So if anyone gets offended ow well, bring on the remakes! :banana:

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The site is currently down,it had been for a couple of weeks,came back for a day or so and now is gone again.Actually this happened a lot last year.I thought it had been blamed on hackers at one point.Now,who knows ?

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Fangoria hasn't been relevent to me since the mid 80s. If they go under I wouldn't care in the slightest. Their mag is way overpriced and everything has it's day. I'm a Horrorhound man now.

5. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Really interesting read!

this about sums it up for me:

"... I too was among the ranks of readers that had become critical of the mag and brand, bored with what had become a very stale, often outdated, and definitely overpriced brochure of hype for films that more often than not were not very good."

I read them for a while, then realized that other mags, Rue Morgue in particular, were just much better. I did read the news on their website frequently though - and I distinctly remember when it started getting good with the updates.

I have to say though, that just before it died they were posting in medium gray text on a black background - fucking worst decision I've ever seen (you know, with respect to how text is presented in a website... I've seen worse stuff in real life, I suppose....). Why not just put green text on a green background, if you hate your readers that much?! I couldn't read it, so I stopped trying.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't see the magazine on the shelves in as many stores these days. The magazine itself just isn't what it used to be. Its newstand SRP is far too overpriced for what you get, and it seriously needs a makeover if it hopes to survive.

When's the last time I even bought an issue and not just browsed through it in a store? Years.

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I stopped buying Fangoria regularily about two or three years after GoreZone closed shop.
    I thought they were essential throughout the 80s and early 90s, but I sort of lost interest over the years.
    For nostalgia's sake I will miss them though.

8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

The 80's were a long time ago and that was the last time they mattered.

9. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Rue Morgue is the best anyways...

10. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I like Rue Morgue much more and the HorrorHound issues I checked out were much better as well. Still sucks that they're going under though, they are an icon in the horror genre.

11. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Horrorhound is great isnt it? I have my subscription and I love it.I love how they bag there issues.

sean

12. promnight13

promnight13 New Member

Really sad to hear this but would not be surprised if they folded. The magazine completely "jumped the shark" for me when they got rid of their filmstrip design on their front cover around the same time of the awful, too-busy and never-worked-right website re-design.

13. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I think this would be tragic. Fangoria may not be as good as it was in the 80's, but it's still the best magazine out there for horror. I've looked at other horror mags and they just don't encompass the same varieity as Fangoria, with maybe the exception of Rue Morgue. Rue Morgue is okay and I certainly don't dislike it, but it cost much more to subcribe to than Fangoria...about 35 dollars more. I can't speak for all of the infighting that seems to be going on at the magazine and to be honest, I really don't care. I was raised on Famous Monsters and when they became essentially a Sci-Fi focused rag, Fangoria filled the void and has continued to do so for nearly 300 issues. I really do hope that their website problems are not the beginning of the end. I, for one, will be very saddened by this magazine's demise, if it happens.

14. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

15. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

I don't think that Fangoria is dead quite yet and would count myself along with Harry Warden (and nobody else here, I guess) as still a loyal supporter after all of these years. Sure, the mag has its flaws but I still look forward to reading it more than any other horror magazine out there each and every month. Although sometimes it does have some articles that are more press releases than anything else, it has some very interesting set reports, the video chopping list that I go back to again and again to prime my Netflix targets, great dvd reviews, and some excellent retrospectives. Also Fango has more interviews with the leading horror names than anybody else. I also read Horrorhound and Rue Morgue, but in my opinion they don't quite measure up. Rue has some great stuff here and there, but with the increased price and decreased page count along with at least three articles on average each month that I completely skip it's not much of a bargain. Horrorhound is mostly solid, but the articles are in general too short and I have no interest in all of the toy and collectible stuff that wastes around 10 pages per issue. I know I'm in the vast minority here, but Fangoria is still the king for me. I started as a kid with issue #6 and will stay on board as a subscriber until the ride is over.

16. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I wouldn't say that I hate them, but I did think the magazine had gotten too expensive for the cheerleading that pervaded every issue. I actually liked the cover redesign, but couldn't find the new ones anywhere for several months after they changed to the new ones.

That, and I always seemed to regret buying it, since I could read the horror news online for free, and the content struck me as more hype than honest review - not always, but often enough that I definitely stopped caring about their in depth articles.

17. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

It's still the best horror mag around, so I truly hope this is just a rumor. The most recent issues are worth it for Stephen King's 2-part essay alone.

Rue Morgue is okay, but it's more costly than Fango in my area, and there isn't a lot of content.

Horrorhound is fun for the pictures and for showcasing collectables, but it's written like a 10th grader's horror blog. Seriously, who the hell edits that shit?

18. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Check out Shock Till You Drop. Apparently Timpone is stepping down as editor as of April and Chris Alexander of Rue Morgue is taking over with a determination to make it edgier in the vein of Chas Balun type-writing. I am excited about this change and am EXTREMELY glad that Fangoria is not dead!!!!

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I guess I'm just a 10th grader at heart, then. Seeing as how I was into Fangoria at 10 years of age I can't say what made them so "intellectual" to you, exactly, but hey. Whatever floats your boat, man.

20. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Its obvious that this guy is just speculating.

(That's a nice way of saying that he's pulling this shit out of his ass).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fangoria go as its sister publication STARLOG is now long gone and these are dire times for all print media. But just because they are having issues with their web site is no reason to go around spreading rumours that the print magazine is defunct.