Is Fangoria coming to an end!?!?!?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I've never actually acquired an issue of Fangoria, so this doesn't really mean anything to me except for the fact that I know it has been an institution for many other horror fans over the years. It did seem like they had good connections for advance info on upcoming DVD releases, but that's about it for me.

2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Exactly!! I am always suspect about folks who post rants or freely give out interviews about infighting within a company, and how nobody seems to be able to see their point of view. Bottom line, there are always going to be two sides to every story. I don't give a shit about internal affairs. That happens in every business, whether it be publishing or something else. I also agree with HellRazor's assumption that Fangoria could go the way of Starlog, becoming an online entity only, but for now, that doesn't seem to be the case. There is the message online if you go to Fangoria's website that states they are rebuilding the site and a cover shot of next issue, #291. so for now, it would appear that the magazine isn't dead. Hopefully it will survive and thrive, but if anything kills it, it will be the economy and the rotten state that the publishing industry currently finds intself in. Our need for immediate news and the fact that we all can find this information online so quickly and on a free basis will be the death nail to many print publications. Not that online is bad. I love being able to get info quickly, but print publications will never be able to compete quickly. Fangoria should re-tool and focus on current ariticles that give more in depth coverage than news snipets and their retrospective articles have been top notch. I, for one, like the changes they have made. I will be a subscriber until the end. I bought issue #1 on the newstand in 1979 and own every issue. I am proud to say I'm a loyal Fangorian.

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It has been a horror institution for years, so I don't really want to see it fail, but I haven't bought it in years. The magazine is too expensive and the content is terrible!! I don't buy a lot of magazines, but in the past couple of years I've picked up copies of Rue Morgue and Horrorhound and have loved them both. They are too expensive as well, but at least you get some great content! Especially some of their retrospectives! Fango focuses more on the current Hollywood crap.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Fangoria has been awful since the eighties. Rue Morgue was great, but has suffered a lot since Rod Gudino stepped down as editor in chief. Under Jovanka Vukovic the magazine got pricier while looking cheaper and I stopped buying.

5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Guys, Fangoria lives!:

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=14002

"Since posting the latest edition of "The Rotten Truth" this week, I've fielded phone calls and e-mails from those fanning the flames of speculation as to where Fangoria magazine has gone and where it's heading. But this morning, I got an e-mail from a respected colleague: Chris Alexander. His news?

He's the new editor of Fangoria.

"Tony [Timpone]'s moving out and on to bigger and better things. He'll still be within the company, when he's doing that, I can't say," Alexander told me this afternoon. "Tony has been nothing but professional, he's been doing this a long time. I'm driving the boat now and I hope I don't Titanic it. I don't think I will. I've got a different point of view, much different than what Fango has had for a while and there's going to be a lot of changes."

This April, devoted readers will find Timpone passing the torch in a Survival of the Dead cover issue. Alexander, a Toronto-based former writer of Rue Morgue Magazine, cut his teeth in the pages of Fangoria some time ago and made his presence known on the magazine's site via the Blood-Splattered Blog which allowed him to wax poetic about some of his favorite films and industry professionals.

"The bottom line is, like you, we were born with a copy of this in our hands," Alexander said. "We're in this game because we love this genre. Horror is fun. Sex, death and all of the juicy stuff. Breaking all of the taboos. It should be that way, ever since I've been reading Chas. Balun as a kid. What you'll see with me is a return to that way out there Chas. Balun point of view, to some degree. I want this to be an adventure. I want people to wear the Fangoria t-shirt and wear it with pride."

Alexander added managing editor Michael Gingold will still be on board the Fangoria banner and once the "internal struggles" occurring in the magazine's New York City office lift, the Fangoria.com site will be back up in some capacity.

So there you have it. The magazine lives on under, for the first time in decades, the set of new eyes."

6. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this Nailwraps. I for one am very relieved and happy with this news, and I'm excited that some fresh faces will be involved with the magazine. Change can be good and it sounds like they are trying to iron out the flaws.

7. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Who are they bullshitting? How are they gonna make their coverage of The Ring 5 or Jeepers Creepers 4 edgy?

8. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Did I say anything about it being intellectual? I was into Fango back then, too. I just say that Fango trumps the competition in terms of the content, and that Horrorhound is terribly written. There is also very little in Horrorhound that feels exclusive to the publication.

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

And it's coming BACK:

https://www.avclub.com/fangoria-returns-with-a-new-owner-and-new-editor-in-chi-1823046078

Nailwraps and Colin like this.
  10. cjg

cjg Active Member

Hope it works out for them.

11. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'm interested if the issues aren't $10 a piece like they were before.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I'm interested if I will get any issues for free. Considering they stopped print in the middle of my subscription.

Erick H., russweiss and m@ggot like this.
  13. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

14. Colin

Colin Active Member

Cool news. I can't remember the last time I flip threw the pages of a Fangoria Magazine - it's been at least a decade - but I can say I'm intrigued.

15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

That's a great start for them. Nice stance.

buck135 likes this.
  16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

So I sent them an email with my info.

They wrote back:

Hey there! I am Dallas Sonnier, CEO of Cinestate & the new publisher of Fangoria magazine. No auto responses here! :)

Please forgive my somewhat impersonal response as we have been flooded with emails from passionate readers, and I’m working hard to respond to everyone.
    The bad news is that you got screwed over by the previous publisher. The good news is that we want to make things rights moving forward.

As mentioned on social media, Cinestate is pleased to offer a complimentary one-year subscription of the upcoming deluxe quarterly edition of Fangoria (debuting Fall 2018) to anyone who paid for a magazine subscription in the past but failed to receive their order from the old publisher.

Bringing back Fangoria is a huge opportunity and a massive opportunity. We don’t just intend to print an amazing magazine, we plan to restore is reputation.

So, keep on supporting us and let’s do this together!

#FangoriaLives

Best,

buck135 likes this.
  17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I wrote them also and they said that I would receive a free complementary year as well. Very generous.

baggio and buck135 like this.
  18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm glad to see that this is going to work out for all those who were burned in the past. I am skeptical not of Fangoria, but of magazines in general. I remain hopeful that they can turn a profit and become successful again.

19. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

20. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Active Member

That is very cool of them to offer the complimentary subs for somebody who was ripped off by the previous regime. I always appreciate that extra mile, I will be buying those quarterly mags for sure to check them out.