Is rap crap?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Demon Tech, Nov 7, 2001.

?

Is rap crap

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Demon Tech

Demon Tech Guest

Vote now

2. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Don't believe the hype!

Sorry DT, that's far too general a question for me. I voted no, because while there certainly is quite a lot of bad rap out there, I think there is a lot of good rap too. Same with all genres of music; there's good and bad in all areas.

The killer stuff I used to get into...
    Ice T
    Public Enemy
    Sugar Hill
    Beastie Boys
    3rd Bass
    and, just for laffs, The 2 Live Crew :D

3. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

alot or rap just sucks or is a rip-off of older stuff. I think Dr. Dre and Eminen are the best out there now. I love the Beastie Boys but they need to return to the classic sound.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2001
  4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Not crap just rehashed and watered down.

I like Eminem, Cypress Hill and some Dr. Dre. I like the older groups like Run D.M.C., Iced T, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy etc. The new stuff sounds to much the same. I think there should be more hardcore shocking and radical rap. This stuff they play nowadays sounds more like R&B and Soul more so than rap. Rap music is good if you do it right.

5. Demon Tech

Demon Tech Guest

I don't like most rap. Why? The main reason most think they are bad asses and they are not. They think they are gangsters, not even close. A real gangster does not say shit, you are just dead.
    Hell it won't be too long before we find out Dr. Dre went to Oxford Uni and is the younger brother of barbra strisand. I do like these rap groups though.

OutKast
    Ja Rule (as long as he is not trying to wanna be
    Eve
    Little Kim

6. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Demon...

Eve is the best out there......and sexy to boot!!

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I used to hear a lot of rap. Stuff like Kurtis Blow, Sugarhill Gang, UTFO, Run DMC, Salt-N-Pepa, Ice-T, Rudy Ray Moore (tha godfather), i also had three limited color vynil albums of the FUNK YOU series (hardcore rap, i sold them a few years ago for a hefty price), hell, i even made my own little rap and taped it :D.

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Salt 'n Pepa

This the best old school rap group. Today...I think Eve is the best.

9. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    rap is crap. well commercial rap is crap. i hope p.diddy dies and no limit and that other bling bling shit that's polluting our airwaves. Note* I don't only hate rap. country is crap, but some of the women are fine.

10. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

Have to agree on that one Demon...id love to fight Enimen, id kick his scrawny little ass!

11. 1st of all, I'm a child of the 80's...2ndly, believe it or not, 'ol Pete here was born & raised in a little town called Brooklyn, NY (ya might've heard of it). Old skool hip-hop wuz part of my everyday life....KRS One, Special Ed, Tribe Called Quest, Pharcyde, Big Daddy Kane, Public Enemy & Stetsasonic were just a few I grew up listening to every day!!!

The new "rap", I must admit, I'm not too crazy about! Back in the day hip-hop wuz more about havin' a good time, rappin' about the streets & makin' people shake dat *SS!!! Now, its more about "ridin' my beemer" or "my 5-6 hoes licking my..." or "Ya dat nig.. 's dead!" type sh*t & I'm not too into dat stuff! The new stuff is also more meant to BOOM in your car as opposed to going to a hip-hop club & dancin'! (granted, there are exceptions). Nonetheless, make mine old school flava!

So for the record, I voted no...its not crap! But a lot of the new school is!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2001
  12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I don't even listen to rap, but I still won't acknowledge it as crap. Granted some or most of it is, but the same goes with other genres. Because it gets so much airplay on MTV I might be tempted to say it is crap, but then again, it's been years since I've seriously tried to watch MTV. They hardly play videos anymore anyways. What it comes down to is I like what I like and others like what they like. As long as they don't bitch about what I listen to, I'll have the courtesy to not do the same. Rap is music and music is art and to me art will never be crap because even if it's not to my liking it still has value. On top of that, the whole "rap is crap" debate I been hearing for years has always had a tinge of racism in it so I'll just stop there.

13. cjg

cjg Active Member

Most music today is crap Music started to become crap with the advent of MTV back in the 80s its not about the sound anymore its about how you look By the way what is this months flavor

14. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Groups like Beastie Boys and Run D.M.C. were very good back in the day but they used a lot of samples and borrowed from rock and metal groups too. They stayed in the frame work of rap but weren't afraid to explore other music genres. That is why I like these older bands better.

15. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

using samples was good back in the day but way to many artist do it now.....only they call it remixing.

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Sampling

I don't have any problem with sampling except when the artist doesn't credit the originator's work. That just sucks and is illegal.
    If the whole / most of a song is sampled then it's more of a cover song to me than an original piece even if it has totally new lyrics.

Samples can enhance an idea but the artist needs to be tasteful and not over do it.

17. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I have never heard of an artist using a sample and not crediting the originators work.....I do see all the time somebody using a sample to ride the other artist coattails.
    I like it better when an artist refrenses his older works in a song.....

18. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

It's crap. Me and Ian Paice (drummer in Deep Purple) think so. And so is dance, techno and soul pop. Bloody awful it is, the lot of it. -I hope there are no Mariah Carey fans on this board !. :D

19. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

check out people under the stairs and ugly duckling...

20. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

There's good rap out there.
    I'm a big fan of the Ultramagnetic MC's (That includes Kool Keith's solo projects.) I have a soft spot for N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton album. For old school lovers, The Sugar Hill Records Story is a must.

BTW, this forum is for horror polls only.