Is rap crap?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Demon Tech, Nov 7, 2001.

?

Is rap crap

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Same as above, I like a lot of the older rap sounds I grew up with. A lot of that Brooklyn scene too. MC SHAN, BIG DADDY KANE, BDP, THE BIZ also, BEASTIE BOYS, ERIC B, COOL J, RUN DMC, etc...

and I did like EAZY-E, NWA, Old SNOOP, ICE-T / Body Count, GETO BOYS and stuff.

But I don't like all that P. DIDDY / JAY-Z stuff or all that samplin' or all that wanna-be gangsta stuff. Never liked BIGGIE or TUPAC.

Don't listen to too much rap, but currently like:

METHOD MAN / REDMAN / OUTKAST / 'CUBE

Dre has already stated most of that talk is just for sales. He tuned it down on his 2nd solo, "Been there, done that", but his wife said to go back to being "raunchy" cuz it sells.

2. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    whoa! a man who knows hiphop, that's a rarity.
    I too like ugly duckling.

3. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

While there are some catchy rap songs out there, I don't know if I would ever consider rap/hip hop as a true form of musicianship, due to the sampling aspect. I mean, what, besides the lyrics, are truly original in rap music? Taking a hook from another song and remixing it does not impress me as terribly creative. What's worse is that younger audiences are hearing these sampled creations and thinking of them as original. My little brother came up to me and begged me to hear this incredible song that "was the best music" he ever heard.........it was Puff Daddy's "Come to Me" from the Godzilla soundtrack (which used a sample from Led Zeppelin's classic "Kashmir")........I then asked my brother if he knew about Led Zeppelin.....and of course he followed with a "Huh!?!"....*LOL*.........sad....it was really sad.......so..in closing..I would say that I like some rap in the same way that I enjoy fast food.....it is fine at the time and even tasty to boot....but it does nothing more than give me a temporary fast fix.....and it has no comparison to the actual, fulfilling feast that other, more original music provides.......

4. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

MISSIONCODEZ

Do your brother a big favor and get him the Led Zepplin box set....he will thank you when he's older
    :D

5. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

...and The Police box set too...lots of "nu-rap songs" are getting the remixed treatment. Sting may not mind people sampling but I for one am satisfied with the originals.;) :)