Is the Friday the 13th box from 2004 still worth getting?

Discussion in 'General' started by crikan, Sep 16, 2009.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I just ordered the new Deluxe editions of Friday the 13th. I do enjoy features and can be a bit of a completest. Is the 2004 From Crystal Lake to Manhattan box set now obsolete or are there substantial features in that set that didn’t make there way to the Deluxe editions and Blu-rays.

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Sadly it isn't obsolete. Any commentary tracks on that set (Part 3, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8) have not been brought over. Most of the video extras and interviews on the bonus disc have not been brought over (although some of them are on the Deluxe discs for 1-3). So if you need your Feldman fix, the only way to get it is on the box set.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, i'd say pick it up if you can afford the extra dough. a decent commentary is pretty much the only special feature i'll double dip over. although i'm sure the transfers are improved on the new discs.
    ....although there was that whole stink about the framing of the first one. so you may want a copy of the first one that is framed correctly/differently.

4. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

fuck you paramount! why cant you port these things over? i mean really...

5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

At first I thought this was horrible on Paramount's part, but then again, if they had kept the old features maybe that wouldn't have been so generous with stuff that is on disc for the first time. This also means that your older discs aren't useless. Of course in a perfect word it would have been nice if these recent discs could be considered "definitive". I've seen it for it $40 used so I'll most likely pick it up.

6. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Active Member

yep, it's also got missing footage not found on the new deluxe dvds.

7. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I picked it up during the summer DD sale. If you're a Friday fan, it's worth it for the deleted footage and commentaries.

8. springjack

springjack New Member

As a completist of the Friday the 13th films I can only recomend the boxset if you are a fan. The last disc makes friday the 13th seem like a lucky day...:)
    ________
    Anal Tube

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I have it and I'm not upgrading anytime soon!

10. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I have held off buying this for so long that I doubt I will ever buy it. I'm waiting for Walmart to get a shitload stock of them for $19.99 and when you consider how they do get a lot of dvds and sell them for discounted prices, it just might happen. I really like 1-4 and 6, but not enough to have shelled out 60+ bucks.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

It's definitely worth getting for the commentaries on #6 and #3. You really learn almost nothing on the Part VIII commentary, but the director's on it and now that I look around online, it says he's not on the new commentary, with Jensen Dagget and Kane Hodder.

But overall the set leaves a ton to be desired (because Paramount did a so-so job at best). So, depending on how important the commentary and a few featurettes are, you might just get the new discs and the original disc of Part VI (because the new transfer is messing with things a lot).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  12. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Yes, but I wouldn't pay more than $40 for it.

The part 3 Commentary is great.

13. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I was gonna buy this last year, glad I didn't now......

14. DVD-fanatic-9

Yeah, well I did it when I had no choice. I didn't know shit about Blu-Ray (I still don't, technically - other than: it's too expensive) and didn't know Paramount would be doing Special Editions for all 8 movies.

15. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I still don't get when people say this when you can get blu-ray titles online for as cheap as $9.99. And half the time the blu's aren't even that much more than the DVD. A perfect example is Bird with the Crystal Plumage. I paid around $19.99 when the SE DVD came out. The blu-ray is that exact same price (the DVD is $17.99 now). This is just like when DVD's were in their first couple years. You just gotta know where to buy them. Not to mention Best Buy has a whole rack now devoted to blu-ray titles $14.99 and under.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

Well then, look at it by mass - I can't even afford to replace my VHS collection with DVD. Let alone now my DVD's with Blu-Ray. It is impossible. I won't make enough money in my life.

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Oh well yeah I'm not even replacing all of my titles on blu. Some I just watch every now and again (most of the time because friends want to) and am fine with them on DVD. My point was just that they have become reasonably priced if you know where to go.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

I know I shouldn't be complaining. But this Blu-Ray thing is getting out of control. Too many studios are starting to look into it phasing out regular DVD entirely. It's moving too fast. I wouldn't complain if it was just for people to collect certain movies because they want to see them look amazing or better than they've ever looked. But that's how people want to see every movie they buy.

19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I do agree that they are moving full steam ahead with blu-ray replacing DVD. The Terminator Salvation Director's Cut only being available on the blu is proof of that. Still, I don't think they're leaving DVD owners in the dust. With titles and players especially coming down in price (you can get a good player from a reliable brand for under $200 now) and the fact that all BD players are backwards compatible, they aren't forcing anyone to replace anything. Hell, Panasonic even makes a Blu-ray/VHS combo player. :lol:

20. DVD-fanatic-9

I don't even have the special kind of TV... Actually, I think someone I know who doesn't use one might have one.

But even then, my whole philosophy is: why buy a new player when for that money, you can get 4 new DVD's. Or, for $200... 20 new. Maybe more.

Blu-Ray shouldn't be the standard. It should be the next phase. For collector's. Like, The Holy Grail or something.