is there a FULL FRAME DVD version of Jacob's Ladder?

Discussion in 'General' started by bloodthirsty, Jan 5, 2003.

1. bloodthirsty

bloodthirsty Guest

:fire: I hate the fact that the "Special Editon" (of which is a total JOKE as there is NOTHING "special" about it) is "presented in a 'matted' widescreen format"
    I swear, all because of freakin' WS TVs we have to suffer through all these pseudo letterbox jobs! :fuck: and I just dont buy the argument about seeing gaffs, etc. because this was released on VHS FF, and on cable - so that should be good enough for DVD, too! put BOTH versions on the disc, then - jeez!

anyway, was there ever a FF release on this on DVD from any country? thanks!

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I certainly hope you don't go to movie theaters Bloodthirsty. And if you do, make sure you complain to the management about the matting, and the "pseudo letterboxing" that happens. BECAUSE IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME THING. The matted widescreen format preserves the theatrical aspect ratio.

If you're going to keep complaining about this, you'll have to stop seeing movies theatrically.

3. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Anamorphic transfer, 5.1 Dolby Digital, Director's commentary, "Building Jacob's Ladder" featurette, theatrical trailer, production notes, cast & crew information...

All for a measley $10.

Yeah, there's nothing special about this dvd. :lol:

4. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2003
  5. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Cause everybody had WS TVs three years ago. :rolleyes:

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

You forgot to mention the deleted scenes mut. $10 is a steal!
    Jacob's Ladder is a great flick and one of the best DVDs out there, imao! :banana:

7. bloodthirsty

bloodthirsty Guest

are you guys yankin' my wanky?
    what ones you do you guys have? I read the back of the case and it said:

SPECIAL FEATURES:
    16:9 Widescreen
    5.1 Dolby
    Digitally Mastered
    Reverse Spiral Dual Layer Disc
    Interactive Menus
    Scene Access
    Spanish Subtitles
    Theatrical Trailers
    Production Notes
    Cast & Crew Info

THAT'S IT! NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT IT!
    and it says "SPECIAL EDITION" across the top of the front cover.

as for going to the theatre, the arthouse theatre is not as wide as the multiplex... and I really dont go to the movies as there hasn't been anything worth while to see on the big screen since the early/mid 90's. (well maybe LOTR)

the movies I remember seeing at the theatre: Jacob's Ladder, *Short Cuts, Pulp Fiction, True Romance, *Desperado, *Dazed & Confused, *City Of Lost Children, *From Dusk Til Dawn, Zentropa, Kafka, Naked Lunch, *Reality Bites - and I cant remember anything else. (* = free passes thanks to the Austin Chronicle)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2003
  8. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

The features such as the Deleted Scenes, Doco, and full length commentary are on the fucking disc, just not advertised on the slick for some reason. It is a spec ed. So we are not yanking your chain.

9. bloodthirsty

bloodthirsty Guest

ah, so Artisan screwed up the back cover - ok.
    OK, thanks for "letting me have it" guys :p

I'd still like to know if there is a FF DVD available.

after I get a definitive answer on that, feel free to delete the thread :D

btw: PAN & SCAN = BAD / FULL FRAME = GOOD

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2003
  10. Dave

Dave Pimp

There is not a full frame DVD. Judging by your nightmare thread, which I only skimmed through, it seems your preference is a 4:3 presentation - full frame or not. You are of course welcome to your preference, but let me warn you that you won't find many non-OAR supporters here. :eek1:

11. Full frame Jacobs Ladder

You should write to the company that puts out the edited Cannibal Holocaust disc - I understand they like doing things like that to art. :lol:

(That's right, I couldn't let it go.)

12. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Live in the now! P&S and FF are what we had to put up with back when VHS was the only option. Now, I expect nothing less than the Widescreen original aspect ratio every time.

To quote Dark Helmet..."What's with you, mon!?!"

13. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

... and deleted scenes. :D

Sorry Thirsty, due to your level of angst, I thought you were personally experienced with the dvd, and therefore would have discovered the unadvertised extras. Didn't mean to be so smarmy, but it really is a great disc.

For what it's worth, I saw Ladder in the theater, and it wasn't at any art house - it was at a shopping mall megaplex.

14. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Shit, I've had this disc for way to long and still havent thrown it in. But thanks to all this jabbering about it, I think today is now the day to give it a spin. And in glorious widescreen no less.

15. Esrever

Esrever Guest

I'M NOT DEAD!

Unfortunately, the DVD release of Jacob's Ladder isn't as complete in the supplements dept as one might've hoped. I remember seeing the first trailer for this film, a fantastic, creepy little number with a cracking narration and superb flash cuts from the movie. This should've been on the disc, no doubt about it!

All together now...

Jacob Singer is afraid...
    Everywhere he looks people are watching...
    Everywhere he goes people are waiting...
    Jacob Singer is running out of time...

16. bloodthirsty

bloodthirsty Guest

no, i just think that by cutting away any part of the picture is wrong unless the director does it, etc. but if it was once released in FF, then put both the FF & anamorphic WS on the same disc!
    what is so hard to understand about that?
    I bought the import SLEEPLESS because of the U.S. (Artisan, again screwing up) one being PAN & SCAN. I dont like that.... but if it would have originally been filmed FF, and Artisan released it FF, then I wouldn't have needed to buy the import.

I always thought there were 4 kinds of presentations... PAN & SCAN, FULL FRAME, LETTERBOX, WIDESCREEN. right?
    maybe my bitch is more with the matting... are there a lot of incorrect matting jobs and maybe my jadedness is coming from that, and I'm just attributing it to ALL letterboxed movies? a movie filmed in Scope is a different story! by all means it must be shown Widescreen.

btw, so, by there being no non-OAR supporters here, does that mean you only just got into watching/buying movies?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2003
  17. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

Its not about more or less image. Its about the right image. JL was filmed open matte but it was always intended to be matted. Reading your Nightmare thread is giving me the impression you think more is always more. Thats not always the case.

18. bloodthirsty

bloodthirsty Guest

why is it when someone says they want to have BOTH the original Full Frame picture and the cropped Letterbox picture, they get grief about "FF is not the correct way to view it" blah blah blah... but it's ok to bitch a moan when directors and studios cut footage. just like you want to see that "missing" footage, I want to see the originally shot frame - and since it was originally released FF on video and cable, it shouldn't be a problem including the Full Frame version with a cropped version.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2003
  19. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Thirsty, the director never intended this film to be seen full frame. You said yourself you "think that by cutting away any part of the picture is wrong unless the director does it". Well, director Adrian Lyne composed Jacob's Ladder for a 1.85:1 aspect ratio presentation. He did not intend the film to be shown 1.33:1. You say cutting away the picture is okay if the director does it... well, he composed the film for 1.85:1, then matted the finished film to that aspect ratio for theatrical release... what's the problem? 1.85:1 AR on Jacob's Ladder is what the director intended, it's the original theatrical release presentation, and it's what's on the dvd. You favor the full frame video tape, which was a bastardization of Lyne's vision. I don't mean that to be condescending, it's just the truth, plain and simple. If you want to see Jacob's Ladder in full screen, that's absolutely fine and dandy, but then you in fact do not care what the director's original intent was, so don't go saying that Artisan has defiled Lyne's film and done wrong by him, when all they've done is not catered to your personal taste.

My God... did I just defend Artisan? Somebody kick my ass, please. :nervous:

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Of course, there's nothing wrong with preferring full-frame if that's your thing. And even better, there is a home video medium dedicated to it. It's called VHS.

I am not joking or being facetious. Really. DVD is meant for film buffs who want to see movies at home in a presentation that most closely matches their theatrical presentation. If a movie was matted in the theaters, why is it bad if it's matted at home?

Jacob's Ladder is available on a full-frame videotape. If that's how you want to see it, then just buy the videotape. If you'd like to see it as it was in the theaters, then go with DVD.