Island of Death

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by dwatts, May 6, 2004.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The main reason I bought this DVD was because it was one of the "video nasties." There is a nice interview with the director and the print was in pretty good shape. Overall it was worth watching but I don't think I'll ever sit through it again.

2. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Yes i've fallen into that trap. I own loads of films just because they were on the DPPs video nasties list. I actually went all out to try and find them all. There were some great movies on that list but also some alot of junk. That list was abit of a joke in the 80s though with movies like Tobe Hopers Funhouse and Shogun Assassin making the list. Video store owners actually got prosecuted for renting these things.

3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'm morbidly curious about this one, especially now that Arrow is releasing it on Blu-ray. To those of you who like it, what do you think makes it worthwhile?

I most admit that movies with a reputation for being offensive have a certain pull on me. I appreciate the dark comedy and sleaze of Bloodsucking Freaks. I am fascinated by the relentlessness and powerful artistic statements of I Spit on Your Grave and Cannibal Holocaust (though I may not agree with ISoYG's message about revenge). I love how The New York Ripper digs into the seedy underbelly of New York - I almost imagine that it's like travelling back to 42nd Street in the early 80's. But what has Island of Death got going for it?

Hey, at least the new artwork is pretty good...

[​IMG]

4. russweiss

I like that artwork also.

5. Kim Bruun

Thank you for sharing, russweiss! Those lobby cards are very nice. Are they in your private collection?

I imagine it's the kind of movie that can go either way for me. The allure of mean-spiritedness and depravity can easily crumble if the pace drags. Clearly, the movie was meant to shock. Of course, in our enlightened times, the shock value of a middle-aged dude in women's clothes, for instance, is non-existent, but I'm curious if the movie presents its stance through its protagonist. I.e. does the movie somehow enforce the view that the victims are deserving of their fate?

I must admit I am intrigued, and Robert Behling was not a bad-looking dude.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Kim, based on the films you mentioned, I think you will like it. It's much more entertaining than Bloodsucking Freaks, which I didn't like at all. As for deeper meaning, I guess I really didn't think too much about it. It does have dark little sense of humor though. I think the first post in this thread sums up the movie quite perfectly.

Although personally, I am a much bigger fan of Nico Mastorakis' tamer but wildly entertaining '80s efforts like The Zero Boys, Grandmother's House, The Wind, Blind Date, etc. I'm much more inclined to re-watch those than I am to re-visit Island Of Death. I'd love to see Arrow deliver stunning blu-rays of those.

7. Kim Bruun

Thanks, CPT HOOK. Yes, the initial post offers good insight and detail, but when treading unknown territory, I like to read both positive and negative reactions, and since this thread had more of the latter, I was interested in the perspective of fans.

I'll probably take the plunge. If I hate it, I'll come back here and bitch about it (not really . ;)

8. russweiss

Kim those lobby cards are from my collection. One of only two things I have on this particular title. I used to own the DVD but sold it after watching it one time. My viewing of this "notorious" film came when I was over 40 so the shocks really weren't there. I've just seen so many horror/exploitation films. For someone much younger or for those that haven't seen a lot of schlock horror films it might be more shocking and or entertaining.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
  10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I have Arrow's PAL Region 2 DVD, and while yes it could be considered shocking I don't think it was quite as such now as when it was first released. It was anything special but I still enjoyed it.

11. sinister

sinister Member

It's been about 25 years since I watched this on VHS, when I was collecting and watching all the original "video nasties", but I remember it being one of the better ones at the time.

However it's not one of the 10 or so that I went on to buy on Laserdisc, DVD or Blu-ray to watch again over the following years, so I'd say it's worth watching once and you probably won't be disappointed in it, but don't get your hopes too high.

12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I have rarely made it to the credits of films that try this hard to be offensive. They often aren't well made enough to hold my attention when the shocks start to lose their effectiveness. I found ISLAND OF DEATH to be compelling from start to finish. It's not a "good film" but it paces the depravity well enough that I could see giving it a re-watch. I doubt I'll upgrade the Arrow DVD I already have. Its a must see for fans of exploitation films.

I'm glad I haven't reached the point where I don't find ISLAND OF DEATH shocking and disturbing. Its been a few years since I watched and yet I feel like I need a shower every time I see artwork for the film.

13. Kim Bruun

Okay, so having watched this, I can honestly say that I was engaged. Technically, it is better than many might give it credit for. Having just rewatched the Jess Franco movie Bloody Moon, where the camera frequently fails to focus, I was struck by how beautifully shot Island of Death is. The soundtrack is very minimal, though it does feature three folksy ballads which are rather endearing. The two main actors could certainly have been worse considering such exploitive material. Robert Behling is strikingly good looking and charismatic enough to carry the movie, and Jane Lyle brings an understated complexity to her role.

I'd rather not say that I enjoyed the movie, because I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was some kind of sadist, but there is a sense of fun in turning away and going "oh no, he didn't" whenever the director throws some twisted, lurid image at you. It's the kind of thing you allow yourself to be shocked by for your entertainment because it's so obvious yet contained within the realm of fiction (even the goat made it out alive, according to Mastorakis).

Best scene? Patricia takes a golden shower:

[​IMG]

Oh, and for the record, the Arrow Blu-ray looks and sounds great.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

The Golden Shower is the best :lol:

That's what keeps me coming back for more.

15. Kim Bruun

Jessica Dublin was a trouper for going along with this scene. The way she leans into the camera - grinning, half-naked, tongue flickering wildly - has to be seen to be believed. :eek:

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm really on the fence about getting this - I'm loving the arrow release but at $26.00 it's a lot for this one.

17. Kim Bruun

If you don't care much for the movie, then yes it is. But it is a nice release. Picture quality is impressive, with very few and very minor instances of print damage, and while I haven't had time to check out the extras, it is PACKED. One thing I would have loved would have been if interviews with some of the cast (particularly Robert Behling), had somehow miraculously turned up.

I don't regret shelling out the release date price for it.