Island of Terror

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by russweiss, Jan 26, 2016.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

1.jpg

This 1966 Peter Cushing film looks fantastic on blu-ray. This UK film is region free and IMHO well worth buying. There isn't much in the way of extras but I really enjoyed seeing this film again after probably 30 years. There is a little gore and some gruesome corpses and of course it's always a pleasure to see Peter Cushing.

f.ramses and Angelman like this.
  2. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Had no idea that this was on BD, I'll have to upgrade my CCI DVD someday. Originally I had just picked this up because it was cheap at a convention and came in an even bigger hardbox than most hardbox releases but it was a nice surprise when I watched it as I really enjoyed it and have watched it several times since.

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I like this one. Anybody tackled the similar NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT on Blu Ray (aka ISLAND OF THE BURNING DOOMED) ?

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I bought the Blu-ray last year from Zavvi for about $13 shipped. I hadn't seen the film in years, but it's fun and holds up well.

Nope not yet... I keep hoping the price will go down somewhere on it.

5. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Got it, on Blu, watched it. Frankly not worth the time. All the flaws of Island of Terror and none of the strengths. The monsters effects are worse (the first reveal reminded me of the South Park episode with the Mexican Staring Frog), the kills just plain silly, the character chemistry non-existent (the film is almost derailed by an awkward infidelity side story, and both Cushing and even Lee are practically thrown away in relevance), the ending pure deus ex machina.

Stick with Island of Terror, a far better movie, and Odeon Blu transfer is fairly solid for such an old flick. Even if it is supposedly still missing an autopsy scene lost to all home view versions.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Thanks !

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Scream Factory's alternate floating head covers, but in this instance I think it's the preferred choice.