IT (2017) non-spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Sep 7, 2017.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    It (2017, Andy Muschietti)

This new adaptation of Stephen King's classic book has come with quite a bit of fanfare and tells the tale of a group of bullied kids who band together when a monster, taking the appearance of a clown, begins hunting children. The worst parts of the film are all the supernatural ones and clown parts. The clown in the 1990 miniseries of the book was played to perfection by Tim Curry (Clue) and was presented as a believable real world clown which made him all the scarier. This version has a clown with a more over the top demonic design, silly voice and some horrible cgi moments.

The best part of the film is the scenes with the kids hanging out but I still prefer most of the performances from the mini-series. I was hoping for a real Stand By Me/ Stranger Things feel to the kids but it didn't quite get there. Changing the setting from the 50's to the 80's could have worked better but the characters still felt like they were from the 50's despite being set in 1988, so it really did not mesh well.

All in all, it could have been a lot worse but also a lot better. It is not scary, creepy or emotional. The non supernatural parts are well enough made but the whole thing seemed very ho hum.

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Any of you clowns seeing it this weekend?

3. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

My wife and I are seeing It tomorrow evening. Looking forward to it.

thing likes this.
  4. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Cool, check back in with your thoughts

5. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Just got back. Hmm. Not sure what to say. It was very good, with some amazingly creepy images and moments, but was let down by a rather large amount of cgi. Hopefully the cgi won't be as off putting when I rewatch this at home.

If you're a fan of the mini series and/or book I'm sure you'll love this new adaptation.

6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Fair enough.. i just didnt find it creepy.. and im a fan of the mini series and the book :)

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

It's got off to a great start box office wise, IMDB are quoting $117,150,000, for opening day in US alone, on a budget of $35.000.000, that's pretty fantastic, and is great news as it should open the door for more R Rated horror, and bigger budget horror, and will definitely mean part 2 will be greenlit.

Steel76, Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.
  8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Opening weekend, not day. ;) Still, that's amazing! I really hope we starting getting more horror into mainstream theaters. Been kind of a drought in the past few years in that regard.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  9. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Well there has been plenty of horror films in the main stream theaters (insidious , sinister, conjuring, Annabel type films), not a drought, just that those ones are not very good.

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I realize those have been out, but that's just a handful. Back in the mid 2000s, we had quite a few coming out. Right now sort of resembles the mid 90s.

11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Mind you, I read the book in '88 or so and never watched the mini-series (I couldn't fathom what I had read being properly conveyed on network television) so my memories are pretty fuzzy. The CGI bordered on overkill
    the leper, especially
    but there were some cool images I hadn't really seen before, which was nice.

12. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Caught this tonight.

Very underwelmed. It was decent at best. The CGI really fucking ruined a handful of sequences. It ruined any aspect of reality in my opinion. The acting was decent and the cinematography was top notch. But you know what I thought was the worst aspect of IT?........The fact it was 2+ hours. I thought it was 30 mins too long, easy. There were a bunch of sequences that easily could have been dropped. I was bored to be quite frank. Not saying I didn't enjoy myself because it was fun enough, really funny at parts but overall I think I was disappointed.

My expectations might have been set too high.

thing likes this.
  13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Insidious, The Conjuring and the new Annabelle were all pretty damn good. Even Sinister was alright from what I remember (need to visit that one again).

I didn't have an issue with the cgi and to be honest I'm actually surprised I keep hearing people bring it up. I thought it was used well and it doesn't bother me like it used to, mainly because these effects have come a long way. I would have also been happy for them to expand on a few more things so the runtime was not an issue at all. It felt right. King's novel is huge so a short runtime just wouldn't have done it justice.

Steel76 likes this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Went to see this on Saturday night. I liked it somewhat. Stephen King is my wife's favorite author. She liked this more than I did, but didn't love it. I enjoyed how the remake captured 1989 with music, posters, & what we did before cell phones & the internet. The kid actors were good. The new Pennywise didn't work for me. Haven't liked his look during all of the pre-release hype & still didn't like it in the remake. Makeup, costume, and mannerisms all dialed up to 20. Seriously, what kid in their right mind is going to talk or interact with the 2017 Pennywise? Bill Skarsgard brought little to the table as an actor. The bulk of his "performance" was just hiding behind gratuitous CGI. Tim Curry brought a lot more color, shades, & depth to the character. Curry alternated between being playful, menacing, goofy, & unpredictable. Just felt to me like the number one reason for this remake other than making some serious cash was to make a very R-rated Pennywise for a younger audience. I think less is more applies when comparing the two productions. That is why I strongly prefer Tim Curry & the 1990 made for TV miniseries.

Natas and thing like this.
  15. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Both my wife and I enjoyed this film. I thought Bill Skarsgard did a very good job as Pennywise. There were plenty of scares and creepy moments. It's been quite some time since I've seen the mini series and even longer since I read the novel but this didn't disappoint. Certainly if/when the sequel comes out I'll be watching it.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Got tickets booked for tomorrow night :)

We rewatched the mini-series, and the first part is still okey (even though it really don't hold up all that well anymore), but god damn is part two horrible.
    The acting and dialogue from the adults, are so bad, it almost turns into comedy gold.
    It just felt like a really bad and dated soap-opera.

Seriously, the only thing that made us finish the series, was Tim Curry.
    He's still fun, and delivers a great performance, but I wouldn't call him all that scary anymore.
    Every time, he turns away, and then looks back at the camera, with demon eyes and fangs, it just brought chuckles instead.

I heard some complaints over here, about CGI in the new version, but have you all forgotten the bad stop-motion FX in the series?
    There is one sequence, where he disappears down the drain, which basically turns him into a bugs bunny styled claymation cartoon :D
    Wish they had stayed away from using that.

There is some nostalgia, watching part 1 again, but I wouldn't wanna revisit part 2 ever again, even at gunpoint.

17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I have a real soft spot for the entire mini series. It has a real charm to it. For what it is I think they did well with the effects. Even the spider creature is pretty solid and out there for a tv movie.
    Glad it finally got a movie adaptation though. It was definitely due and thankfully great.