It Comes At Night (2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I respect all of the above............

I feel similar about the Witch from last year...... but I felt at least the Witch built up to something. It Comes at Night felt like a slow burn, which is all well and good..... but I felt the build up/any tension that was there, really lead to nothing. I think that's my biggest complaint. I wasn't expecting any thrills, wasn't expecting any blood shed...... I was extremely happy and really enjoying myself an hour in, then I feel it just stumbled to the finish line.

2. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I was kind of hoping they'd explain what it does during the day.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The title It Comes at Night, at least from what I took out of it, refers to
    Travis' nightmares seeing as the majority of the movie is 'seen' through his point of view.

4. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

I was just being a jackass :)

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

That's a decent point. I tried to stay away from trailers and such for this one, so I was at least expecting there was something in the woods coming for them.

Although both the other family and the infected dog did come to the red door at night.

I really loved the ending. Telling it through the perspective of Travis and his family allows for an extremely clever twist at the end that is literally right in front of our faces the whole time.

6. CPT HOOK

Would also like to add, if you loved this movie be sure to check out the director's previous film Krisha. Free on Prime, by the way.

It's not a horror film, but it's shot and scored like one. It also provokes thought and discussion in a similar way. If you liked this one, you'll probably dig it.

7. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This film was a real disappointment. I didn't watch the trailer or read this thread or any others prior to viewing so I went in blind. First off the title is a complete misnomer. The entire cast includes only 9 people, 3 of which have less than a minute of screen time. Truly very very little happens throughout the film. I wasn't expecting an action film but I did at least expect some horror. My wife jumps a lot during horror films and she didn't twitch even once. To get this point across better she did jump during the Annabelle 2 and Wish Upon trailers that played prior to the movie. Now I will say that technically the film was well done. No complaints about the acting or cinematography. It just didn't offer anything of value for my viewing. Nothing that I haven't seen many, many times before. Also there is a 17 year old in the film that is continually treated as though he is only 5 years old. Not sure what that was all about.

8. MorallySound

Sorry, but "jumps scares" do not constitute a singular definition of "horror." Not putting down your personal opinion of the film or experience, it just irks me when people single out that because a film didn't make them jump in their seat that it's lacking horror/isn't horror. As to the title, you can read my post about it above in the spoiler tag. And to his age and treatment,
    he could have been lying to Kim since he was attracted to her and could have been say 15, or he could be telling the truth and is 17, but the film is about trust and paranoia in an uncertain world and it's hinted at and shown throughout the film that his youthful curiosity betrays his parents' requests for him to live within their rules and requests in this new and dangerous world since they are overprotective of his safety. So when he puts them in danger/disobeys them, of course they will react and their punishment is to treat him as such.

9. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Director Trey Edward Schults talks about the horror films that helped inspire him to craft "It Comes at Night". A brief but still interesting watch.

10. russweiss

No films make me jump but I used my wife's experience as the example. As for the son character. When Will is showing him how to chop wood he acts like he's never seen an axe before and when he actually takes a swing I thought they were going to give him a gold star. It was just a ridiculous scene. Also Edgerton and his wife kept telling him to stay behind (hide in their room) whenever anything happened. He was basically a grown man and was being treated like he was 10 years old. If the world has fallen apart to the degree we are led to believe that type of coddling just wouldn't exist.

11. MorallySound

The scene with Travis learning to use the axe shows the relationship between Travis and his farther, and is a pivotal scene.
    Paul has been consumed with protecting his family by keeping them closed off from the world for reason of extreme protection and that has completely sacrificed their father-son bonding. He's become more of a guard than a father. When Will and his family arrive, their guard is let down (although trust is still questioned), which results in Travis with more freedom before friction arrises again. And Will, through teaching Travis how to swing an axe properly, is filling in that void Travis needs, and we clearly see in Paul's expression when watching Travis and Will bond over the axe skills that he's negatively been ignoring that aspect of their relationship which shows a crack in Paul's exceedingly stoic and selfish attitude.
    I don't know where you're basing your note that people don't coddle the ones they love in situations of danger... In dire situations people tend to act more out of instinct than reason, thus they are overly protective of Travis who is still technically a child, or teen if you want to be more accurate.

12. russweiss

I'm glad you enjoyed the film but I just didn't see it the same way you did.

13. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I agree with you on this one, Natas. I knew going in it was a slow-burn paranoia story and didn't expect action or gore but I was hoping at least for some interesting characters or a thought-provoking story or even just some tension. The problem with keeping everything so vague is that it prevents character development and any investment in the story or people. Only really 6 characters in the movie and I only remember the name of 2 of them. At the end I wasn't even sure if anything in the movie had actually happened or if it was all Travis' dying fever dream. Which might be an interesting interpretation if I'd come to care about him or any of the characters.

I will say the film looked good. Stylish and nicely filmed with good performances given what they had to work with. I think it would have worked better as a short film. Shults shows promise but he really needed to flesh the story or characters out more to stretch this to feature length.

russweiss and Natas like this.
  14. Hatchetwarrior

15. CPT HOOK

That's a terrible cover, especially since that isn't even his wife behind him. I'm a bit surprised the studio wouldn't consider how bad it might look to exclude the integral black characters, especially given the issues of diversity in cinema being heavily discussed in the past few years.

Plus, the theatrical posters were quite beautiful. Shame they didn't use them.

Workshed and Hatchetwarrior like this.
  16. MorallySound

Exactly! I thought the same thing when I saw that cover.... A pretty offensive misstep if you ask me from the marketing department.

17. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Reprehensible excuse for design. What the hell happened?

18. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

It seems rare over the last couple of decades that you get a great artistic poster for a film, let alone the packaging for home consumption. I enjoy occasionally buying original one sheets for films, but most of that is prior to the 1990's. The majority since then is either floating celebrity heads, bad photoshop, or even spoilers. I've yet to see this film but that cover looks lazy.

Hatchetwarrior likes this.
  19. Hatchetwarrior

Looks like they've changed the cover art. Still sucks though.

[​IMG]

20. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

That looks photoshopped to hell.