It Comes At Night (2017)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Feb 8, 2017.

1. sade

sade Active Member

That reminds me of all those straight to video B action movies featuring old action stars (S.Seagal, JCVD,...) all holding a gun. I guess that shit sells.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Having seen the movie, it's a much better cover than the last one.

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Was gonna pass but after seeing a few positive reviews I might get the DVD

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I liked it, but not as much as I wanted to. I thought Dead Within, from 2014, was a better take on the refuge-in-a-cabin-during-the-apocalypse story. Dead Within was zombies, much more explicitly stated, but still focused only on those avoiding the apocalypse.

It was an A24 weekend for me, as I also watched Good Time. THAT was a really good film, not horror, but highly recommended. Guy and his mentally handicapped brother rob a bank, the brother is the one who ends up in jail. So the rest of the movie is the (non handicapped) brother's efforts to get him out, and he keeps making bad decision after bad decision. Really well done, and a prime example of how people in the criminal world constantly self-sabotage rather than taking the long route to a better life.

Colin likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

A24 has a pretty amazing track record. Even the stuff of theirs I haven't loved (including this film), they're at least interesting. As mentioned prior, I preferred the director's previous film Krisha to this one.

I think American Honey, The Florida Project, Room, and Lady Bird have been my favorites from A24. But if you're looking for something genre, I'd highly recommend Green Room, The Blackcoat's Daughter, and Killing Of A Sacred Deer.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I didn't care for this one at all, but that might have more to do with my expectations from the marketing. I much preferred THE SURVIVALIST which came out last year (I think).

7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

A24......dope.

It Comes at Night........snoooooooze.

8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I actually liked this one. I didn't love it, and it's probably not highly rewatchable, but I thought it was good. Pretty slow at times, sure, but it was also incredibly tense on a few occasions. While reading about the movie a few minutes ago I saw an article called "The ending of It Comes At Night explained." I'm a bit confused by the confusion a lot of people seem to have about the ending, I thought it was a very straightforward story and ending. The only thing I didn't fully get was
    why they were so determined to not let them go at the end. Paul said something about them coming back to take all their shit if they become desperate for food and water, but couldn't they just worry about that if they came back?