It Follows

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Marclar

Marclar Member

Sure. The actual horror is to progress in a horror film. This one progressively thins itself out and becomes more of a drama.

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Again casting blame on the filmmakers that doesn't have proof or a real rationale/truth. No single film is ever made for or going to serve a wide audience across the board. Yes, some will have more mass appeal than others (ie. mainstream Hollywood fare vs. indie fare), but no film is made with the intent to only "serve a narrower scope of audience" despite a film's premise or subject.

I also wouldn't call its marketing excessive, it's a tiny independent film that's managed to get picked up and put into wider release (ala The Blair Witch Project in similar vain) so all the power to them in competing with the big guns playing in the theatres. Its marketing budget is also meagre. Read Drafthouse's Tim League's comments for further understanding: http://badassdigest.com/2015/04/01/tim-league-it-follows-is-not-a-flop/

I will agree that "the scariest horror film in years" is definitely open to debate as that's always up to individual opinion, so yes you are correct in that you personally didn't' find it such, but it did personally get under my skin.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  3. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Man, I read that article and the Forbes article that it was responding to and I am just steamed. What fucking metrics are we using now to judge a success? That anyone could look at this and say that this film is a "flop" is beyond me.

While I didn't like the film as much as many others, I did still think the filmmakers deserve the credit they are due. They made a decent low-budget film that is interesting and unique and managed to get some pretty commendable success with it. There is no way that anyone should be calling this story anything else other than a huge success for independent film making and the people behind this film really should be congratulated.

And, I also wouldn't have called the advertising campaign extreme. Yes, "the scariest movie of the year/decade/millennium" stuff is hyperbolic. But that sort of language pops up in every trailer. And I don't think I saw a single trailer for this film outside of review sites and usually the trailer was part of the article, not paid advertising. I know there were some banner ads on websites the week it went wide release. But that really was about it.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Just came back from seeing this.
    I found this to be really solid with an obvious nod to the original Carnival of Souls. The female lead was extremely convincing and the premise was unsettling and disturbing enough. I also liked the score which reminded me of many an Italian horror film from the late seventies and eighties.
    It was never boring and was enough of a departure from the prevalent Insidious and Conjuring mold that has become a little bit tired for me as of late.
    I did find parts genuinely frightening. I do think that this film benefits from the big screen treatment and shall lose some impact on home media.
    I give it an 8/10, though I'm not sure I'd ever re-watch it knowing the twists and shocks now.

5. Marclar

Marclar Member

MorallySound....sure, sure. I won't disagree with you. I was just ranting. But some 'independent' films are not as independent as they seem. I work for 'Uncle Sam' and can attest that he pens down and provides the dough for many films that are used to carry infomercial frameworks. This may not be one of them, but...

I first heard of this film from my colleagues in Germany and Russia. They sent me links, because they know I am a horror fan. They saw previews in their home theaters. They had ads for the movie placed in global and local social networks (like Moi Krug in Russia). Their respective critics have also emphasized that it is the scariest piece in years. That is a pretty decent marketing campaign I must point out. It would cost millions upon millions to swing it. Just sayin'

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yeah, because it was picked up by Radius TWC for wider distribution. As mentioned in my above post, it's a bit of a "Blair Witch" situation where you have an independent film getting picked up by a larger company for wide distribution - so yes, it is a huge marketing budget for an indie film, but it's actual marketing is also no where near the budget of an actual studio film's marketing. So good on them for getting it circulated around the world in that fashion. Also mentioned in the Badass Digest article I posted, its marketing budget was even less compared to that of You're Next - another somewhat indie horror film.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm sure if you go back and watch the TV spots for Annabelle and Ouija, they were hailed as "the scariest horror film in years" too. Every horror film in theaters says that. People should be much more critical of those than something like It Follows.

The only reason people are being more critical of It Follows is because it's a legit contender, and not another dull studio horror film that's popular for a week and then never spoken of again.

8. Marclar

Marclar Member

I reckon you are correct about 'It Follows' being a strong contender in the genre. I only felt that the movie could be a lot more intense and impactful. I am sure that many would not want that. I just could not help and see that potential , that is why I had to rant it out. I will lay off it now. :glasses:

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Saw it last night. Here is my quick review:
    10/10

Update:
    My former friend didn't like it much

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  10. sade

sade Active Member

Although I found it much more interesting than turds like Ouija I still found it boring. The score didn't work for me and the whole thing went downhill in the 2nd half.

I enjoyed "maggie" (especially the score) much more.

11. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I really dug it but it wasn't the amazing horror film a lot of people made it out to be.

But don't get me wrong there was still a lot to like in it, especially that amazing score.

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Blu Ray I believe is going to be released on July 14 (according to Amazon). Definite buy for me and bonus with the digital copy.

13. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Easy first day purchase for me.

14. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

I may be been blind but I couldn't find a thread on it.

Anyway finally seen it and I don't get what all the fuss was about. It clearly pays fan service to Halloween in parts and I even think a little bit of A Nightmare on Elm Street too but it was a very bland film. I couldn't get into he idea of it either which really didn't help, I just kept trying to get my head around it. The ending was by far the worst part of the film aswell, it just ends.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10

15. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Odd, there is a large thread about this film on here, but I cannot get it to come up in search results by title. Anyone else?

16. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

17. Bobbywoodhogan

I looked but didn't see :(

Plus the search didn't work

Thank you

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm assuming probably because the search function typically omits general words "the" and "and", so I bet it just wouldn't count "It" and every thread that had "follows" in it popped up. Could be wrong, though.

That said, I loved this film. The plot is pretty thin, but it made up for it in atmosphere, some beautiful shots, great performances, and a fabulous score (which I promptly bought the neat blue vinyl of). I haven't felt such a strong sense of slow, relentless, impending doom in a film in a very long time.

I think what made it so creepy was that
    This thing isn't fast. You can outrun it very easily. Unlike other film adversaries, though, it just keeps coming. It never sleeps. It never needs to stop for anything. It just keeps coming slowly, but surely, after you.

19. Bobbywoodhogan

I've finally seen it and I don't get what all the fuss was about. It clearly pays fan service to Halloween in parts and I even think a little bit of A Nightmare on Elm Street too but it was a very bland film. I couldn't get into he idea of it either which really didn't help, I just kept trying to get my head around it. The ending was by far the worst part of the film aswell, it just ends.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10

20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I didn't mind this one but I agree with those that thought it was overhyped. I didn't find it as thrilling as I thought it would be but it definitely had a creepy idea. The characters were decent and I like that even though it's set in present day it had a very old school feel to it.