It's about time

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Jason25, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Great idea - love the Asian Films genre

So, What are some of your favorites?

I can't stop watching Versus, great film.

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

*cough*

ECHOOOOOOO

*cough*

Yeah, anyway, never seen any Asian horror. Is Biozombie any good?

3. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Andy - buy it, you'll like it

Have I ever let you down? :D

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

Sad to say, but I've never really seen any Asian horror films either, I've been meaning to start though. Evil Dead Trap sounds like its a winner, and so does He Lives By Night. Has anyone see HLBN?

5. K'

K' Guest

K's Top 5:
    1. Versus - Can't wait to get my hands on the german special edition dvd
    2. BioZombie - Funny and cool flick
    3. St John's Wort - Stunning visuals
    4. Visitor Q - Not really Horror, but a very strange and sometimes disturbing black comedy
    5. Nightmare - Mainstream IKWYDLS-style plot mixed with korean ghost story. Great score and neat visuals

BioZombie rocks. If you don't need the english dub you should get the hong kong dvd from mei-ah (original cantonese language track and english subs), which offers an alternate ending.

6. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Nope, but...

...Evil Dead Trap is just superb. The influences of European and American directors is obvious and it's a winning combination - part Cronenberg, part Argento, part Raimi, with a little Fulci thrown in for good measure....I love this film to bits. And it managed to scare me!:p

7. Wermode

Wermode New Member

Biozombie is a fun film. The only problem is with the subtitles; I have to watch the English dubbed audio because the subtitles often make no sense...clearly written by someone with limited knowledge of English.

For a totally different experience, Evil Dead Trap is great, in a "Silent Hill" sort of way. Atmosphere is wonderfully creepy. Anybody know of other good Asian films with that style? My player has regions 1, 2, and 3 NTSC (no PAL, unfortunately).

8. Erg0n

Erg0n My Baby Picture

In a House that's Up My Butt In A Cellar, Canada
    damn you I want for Versus too!

St John's Wort is also good. but I havn't seen anyothers you've named

9. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I made a mistake and put my reply to this thread in the other one :D oops!

10. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Guest

I'm a big fan of Miike and want to know the best place to get Visitor Q for a reasonable price. I haven't seen it, but have high expectations. It goes for a little high on ebay, sometimes for as much as $40. Also, does anyone know if Ichi the Killer is available in any region? That was easily the most violent movie I've seen, passing Braindead, and any other movie I can think of, including other Miike masterpieces Dead or Alive and Fudoh.

I also want to say hello to everyone, as this is my first post on this forum. I post on dvdfile.com under the same name, so hello to anyone who either reads or posts there.

11. DVD Connoisseur

Disco Stu,

Welcome to the boards!

Have you been lucky enough to catch Miike's Audition? I've put up a separate mini-review (spoiler free) on this section of the forum....

12. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Guest

Re: Disco Stu,

I did see it last year, and my girlfriend and I hated it. We saw a VHS dub from the original Region 3. It had atrocious subtitles that made the film nearly incomprehensible and very dull. The ending seemed especially phony as well. I believe that the same company did the horrid subtitles on Shaolin Soccer, Naked Killer, and another Miike, The City of Lost Souls.

Perhaps the Audition would be better under different circumstances, and I'm considering waiting for an official release. I still highly suggest as many people see Fudoh, Ichi, and Dead or Alive as possible. They're all Yakuza films with a mix of Clive Barker, Peter Jackson, and John Waters. Be warned of their extreme misogny though, at the opposite end of The Audition.

13. DVD Connoisseur

Re: Re: Disco Stu,

It's interesting how this film really splits people's opinions. Definitely a "love it or hate it" film. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

I think "suspension of disbelief" is required with Audition. The film really worked for me, though.

14. Disco Stu

Disco Stu Guest

Re: Re: Re: Disco Stu,

We didn't hate it because we were "shocked" or "disturbed." The translation was simply terrible and it was a chore to sit through because of it. I'm not sure the movie would work a second time though, even if I saw it with better subtitles. It seems like the kind of movie you can only see once, like the original version of "The Vanishing."

15. DVD Connoisseur

Absolutely!

Yep, I agree - Audition is one of those movies that relies on suspense and mystery...when you know where the tale ends up, there's no point going through that very long journey again.

I doubt I'll be watching the movie again soon - but I'd like to watch the film with somebody else so I could see their reaction!
    :D

16. Zandri

Zandri Guest

Re: Nope, but...

If you buy this film, stay away from Dvdboxoffice, you'll be waiting for ever for it.. its been over a month for me so far and its still on back order.

17. K'

K' Guest

posted twice. sorry!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2002
  18. K'

K' Guest

If you can play pal dvds you should get the german dvd of Visitor Q. It is a legit release from Rapid Eye Movie with the original japanese language track, english and german subtitles. Extras are a little short, since they only included the trailer. The picture quality is better than the bootleg.
    You can order the REM dvd from www.charmes.de for ~25.00$ + ~8.00$ airmail to the us.
    As far as I know Ichii isn't even out on dvd in japan.
    Universe did the subs for Shaolin Soccer and Audition, but the subs for the terrible Hazard City hong kong dvd were made by Mei Ah. If you really like Hazard City you should get the japanese dvd, it's picture quality is top, the english subs are better and you don't have to flip the dvd in the middle of the movie.

19. Lindane

Lindane Guest

Takashi Miike is my hero!! Easily one of my favorite directors. He's up there with Shinya Tsukamoto in my opinion. Visitor Q kicks ass but is a little different for him I think. I got mine from Luminous, but I don't know if thats the cheapest place. There is a legit release of Audition out now. It's done by Tartan. Man, I'm so glad they finally put up this Asian Horror Section! Looks like this will be my new home. What's the scoop on this Ichi the Killer DiscoStu? It's a Miike movie right? Is it on DVD yet? Where can I get this at?
    Anyways, some of my favorites are:
    Versus
    Evil Dead Trap
    Audition
    Fudoh
    Organ
    Wild Zero
    Junk
    Men Behind the Sun Parts 1 and 2
    Visitor Q
    Guinea Pig parts 1 and 2 (the rest are pretty corny, but funny)
    Uzumaki
    Battle Royale
    Tetsuo 1 and 2
    Tokyo Fist
    Hiruko the Goblin
    Gemini ( a classic)
    Ring 1 and Ring 0
    Dead Or Alive ( Easily one of the best Yakuza flix ever!!)
    Shogun Assassin
    That's all I can think of for now.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2002
  20. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

My top five recently are :

1) Ring(youve seen the rest now watch the best!)
    2) Audition(deep,intense and thouroughly absorbing!)
    3) Battle Royale( riveting from the loud start to the bloody end)
    4) Nightmare( great mainstream fun horror flick!)
    5) Ring 2 ( some sequences that really spooked me, pretty confusing though!)

I have just bought `Kairo (pulse)` which im about to watch, and waiting for `Wild Zero` and `Visitor Q`

Asian Turkeys!

1) Horror Hotline Big Head Monster(doesnt cut it with me)
    2) The Record(bad bad slasher flick...yawn)
    3) Inugami(fantastic visuals and direction, shame its sooo boring!)

Asian Gross Out!

1) The Ebola Syndrome( youll never eat pork again!)
    2) The Untold Story(seriously nasty ending!)
    3) Anything with `Rape` in the title :p

Great new forum, its about time! :D :D :D