It's HAPPENING...another contest!

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Every one of his movies has been worse than the previous one. The Sixth sense is a near-masterpiece, Unbreakable was a good follow up. Signs had some good moments. The Village was average, Lady in the Water poor, and The Happening awful .

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Signs is my favorite. I loved how it showed from a normal person's perspective the leading up and eventual alien invasion.

Unbreakable is good too, especially the ending. Too bad that mythology never got expanded on.

3. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

I lose. I don't like any M. Night Ramalamadingdong movies.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

The most popular choice will be my choice - The Sixth Sense - Best movie he ever has and ever will do. I liked the Sixth Sense because , even though it loses something after the initial viewing, I thought it had a great story and good acting and the first time I watched it I was actually not smart enough to see the great twist at the end coming. I enjoyed Signs and I actually enjoyed Unbreakable as well even though I hear a lot of love/hate for both of those.

5. Spit

Spit Active Member

Mattapooh already brought this up, but I totally agree with him. My favorite scene in a M. Night Shyamalan film has to be that part in Signs at the Brazilian birthday party. Best jump scare ever. I remember watching that in theaters on opening night. An when that alien flashed across the background all the little hairs on my arms stood on end. It had a huge effect, people in the theater flipped out, everyone in the audience gasped all at once. Creepy stuff.

6. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Easily Unbreakable. The slow pace and the very esoteric (yet dramatic) performances give the film a metaphysical aura that's very close to a Tarkovsky film - and Shyamalan weaves a deeply existential thread into this that yet again leads to Tarkovsky's Sacrifice (especially if you take into account that S.L.Jackson's character actually sacrifices himself, searching for the man in the other side of the line who will, eventually, but him behind bars - that's why he killed all those poeple after all...).
    For me, Unbreakable is one of the finest films ever to come out of the US in the last 10 years.
    Bruce Willis' first triumph as a super-hero is a scene to be taught at universities -
    and James newton Howard has never composed a better score.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  7. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

The Happening I very much love, and the same goes for Lady. But my favorite would have to be Unbreakable. The film oozes talent from every frame and the ending affected me much more than that of The Sixth Sense. Upon repeated viewings, both are still strong movies, but Unbreakable wins every time.

8. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Signs because aliens are creepy.

9. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

My favorite movie of his is The Sixth Sense but, scene is in Signs, the alien arm grab in the basement.

10. I have to go with the popular choice here as well; my favorite movie of his has to be The Sixth Sense. It's just a great overall ghost story.

A close second would have to be Signs. I just love the birthday party scene in that movie. Probably one of the creepiest alien moments in film.

11. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

The Sixth Sense is his best movie. I was genuinely shocked by the end of the movie. I wasn't prepared for that final outcome and in the end made me want to rewatch the movie to try and find the subtle hints that were left throughout the movie.

12. My favorite M Night movie is The Sixth Sense. That movie is his most "horror" of all his filmography and arguably his most effective as it seems as though it has been all down hill for him since then. Sixth Sense is my favorite because at the time M. Night's films were a breath of fresh air. Everything about that movie was perfect; the plot, the scares, the use of the color red to subconsciously alert the audience that something scary was going to happen, and of course the brilliant twist at the end.

13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

My favorite is Signs. Very suspensful, but also fun at the same time. Great performances all around.

14. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I love Unbreakable. The look of the film, the comic-related story, the actors. It just works on all levels for me.

15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

That's exactly how it was too. I was just sort of sitting on the couch under a blanky :p trying not to move my neck (throat surgery) and I just got swept up in the story. Still though, I think there is some legitimate quality to the film even without meds. The family makeup of Gibson and his brother and two children was quite charming.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I actually really enjoyed The Village. It reminded me a lot of the book The Crysalids which I really liked when I read it in high school. It's really not as bad as everyone thinks it is.

17. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

The Sixth Sense is one of my fav horror movies of all time, because it was so sophisticated. So my vote will always be for The Sixth Sense!!:banana:

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I agree with this, although Sixth Sense is a super-close second and somedays probably gets the #1 spot. If SS had Sam Jackson or anything about comics it would've won. I can still watch both and enjoy the heel out them even knowing the twist.
    Everything since has ranged from O.K. (Village), to fucking awful (Lady in the Water). Not sure if I even want to see The Happening again, but after the "Mark Walhberg Talks to Animals" skit on SNL, it could yield huge comic value. "Say hi to your mother for me":lol::lol:

19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Member

The Sixth Sense. Some nice thrills and a good twist at the end. Only one I have seen so far that I feel I would watch again.

20. uradouche

uradouche New Member

Sixth Sense. He launched a sub-genre, launched and relaunched a few actors careers. I don't think films like The Ring or any of the modern ghost stories could have been made without this film.