It's official

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by elahrairrah, Jan 26, 2009.

1. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

Pioneer has finally killed off Laserdisc. I bet you thought that the format has been long dead, right? Well, Pioneer was making players in Japan even though no new software was being produced (much like how Sony in Japan was making Betamax VCRs up until the format's official "death" in 2002.) But now, they made their last shipment of players this month:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/news/011509pioneer/

Parts will still be manufactured they say, but even though I knew the format was pretty much over with, it still pains me to hear the "official" end.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Pioneer hasn't actually manufactured a LD player, even in Japan, since 2002. I guess this is just making it official. I suppose they were still letting people try to order them, even though they have been out of stock forever.

Anyway, as long as the parts are still kicking around, LD will be around forever.

3. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

4. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    There can't be enough of a market to sell 3000 players right now. How can I get my hands on one?

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

3000 players? What do you mean?

6. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Paff's out there right now buying junkers for parts.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Don't think I haven't considered that...

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Later this year I am going to invest in a better player. Unsure what model though.

9. ekent

In the article, Pioneer states that they just shipped their last 3000 players. I want one.

10. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Haha, wow, that is surprising; when I saw this thread I thought someone had just responded to something from years back. I don't have the same attachment to LD as I did/do with VHS but I'm sad to see the "official" end nonetheless. LD looks better and the sleeves are usually cooler, if sometimes only for their size alone, but VHS is easier to store (no matter what I do the LD's on my shelf never look straight so they're probably getting ruined as I type this and there really aren't many things made to hold them that I can find... :/ ) and generally cheaper. Still, it would be nice to get my hands on one of the last 3000 players! So long as I have discs I want the ability to play them! ...assuming they're playable...

11. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

I'm guessing from a Japanese retailer. Amazon Japan has these models listed:

DVL-K88 - DVD/LD Karaoke combo player

DVL-919 - DVD/LD combo player (main difference between this one and the North American is the remote--has a jog/shuttle wheel!)

CLD-R5 - Never been able to find much information on this one. Though going by Pioneer's regular numbering (like the CLD-D70X, CLD-D60X, CLD-D50X, etc), this is the model two steps below the excellent CLD-R7G (which I have) and one below the CLD-R6G (which I know nothing about.)

12. ekent

If XE has given me the proper currency exchange rates, all of those players are in excess of $1500 US. Guess I'll continue hoping to find an elite level model locally one day.

13. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
  14. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Here I was thinking I was going to have a brand new LD player shipped to me from Japan in the near future... that is until I did the same thing you did... :/ Got my hopes up there for a minute.

15. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest