Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016) Non Spoiler Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Oct 20, 2016.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)
    Directed by Edward Zwick

The first Jack Reacher film was met with skepticism before it came out and was only a mild success at the box-office but found a large fanbase on the small screen for its hard edge, great atmosphere, superb car chase and a memorable villain. Four years later Jack Reacher returns and must uncover the truth behind a major government conspiracy in order to clear his name.

Tom Cruise is his usual excellent self and is joined by Cobie Smulders (The Avengers) & Danika Yarosh (Heroes: Reborn) who are good but unfortunately has a cookie cutter, cliche'd set of villains. This however is the least of the problems with this very tepid sequel that has a by the numbers script and incredibly bland direction. Edward Zwick (The Last Samurai) has never been the most visionary of directors but this film doesn't feel like it was made with and love or flare at all and feels dated and cheap.

In the end it is not a bad film but a very bland film and a real missed opportunity especially in the portions set during halloween in New Orleans. A better director might have been able to give something interesting to this run of the mill script but we are left something a little tired and forgettable with only a few entertaining sections.

4.5/10

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thats too bad. i enjoyed the first, and was looking forward to this....was almost considering seeing it theatrically.

othervoice1 likes this.
  3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Well maybe you'll like it but the consensus online that I checked this morn seems to match what I thought last night. I hVe the first one on blu but won't be getting this one. Everything in the trailer was from the first half hour pretty much, which was actually pretty good then it just falls away hard.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I loved the first one - especially since it had shots in Pittsburgh and PNC park! Go Pirates! It sounds like this one doesn't live up to the first but is still decent/watchable

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

fizzzzz