Japanese Import Blu-ray Recommendations?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Mark Relford, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I've read that the Happinet editions of the Dead movies were excellent and I'm tempted by the recently released Deep Star Six blu...anything else worth picking up? Thanks in advance.

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The Happinet Creepshow 2 blu-ray is loaded with extras, though I haven't picked it up yet. I have all three Happinet dead films. NOTLD is great, Dawn is disappointing considering it's cost and Day depends on personal preference. It has a higher bitrate than the Anchor Bay bd. It isn't cropped but it's less vibrant than the Scream bd.

3. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

DeepStar Six looks quite good. It's also probably the only version we'll ever see on BD since it's controlled by Lionsgate in the US. I also grabbed THEY LIVE box set from them, which was nice but if you already have the Scream Factory release you probably don't need this. And I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I bought A Sound of Thunder. It's a guilty pleasure and it's the only BD available of this film anywhere in the world.

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The Happinet NOTLD was great to my eves. Beautiful.

5. sinister

sinister Member

I have a few Jap import blu-ray discs but the only one I'd really recommend is The Straight Story which isn't horror.

Have got the Dawn of the Dead director's cut which is nice but the brightness is a bit too high. Not a major issue to fix with your player or display settings but no doubt a better version will be along sooner or later.

Also have Argento's Opera, which is better quality than the DVD but still has room for improvement in the video and the English audio is a poor quality mono track.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Any extra features on the DeepStar Six Blu?

I think the only Japanese Blu-ray I even have is for The Cave (2005) that came out back in 2007. It's an MPEG-2 encode, but looks quite good. I could be wrong, but I don't think it's been released anywhere else on Blu-ray either. Yeah, I like the film. :p

I think that was one of the last things I bought from Xploited Cinema before they began to close down.

7. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Deepstar Six only extra is a trailer. Is the Cave about a crew of divers who discover a buried church? I remember liking that flick.

8. Katatonia

Cool, thanks.

Yeah, scientists find a 13th century Abbey built over a cave system and then hire a group of cavers to explore it.

9. Spacetraveler

Spacetraveler Member

Poltergeist III is available on blu-ray in Japan.

10. Katatonia

It's actually available in many countries, probably far cheaper than the Japanese release can be found. DVD Profiler lists that it's been released in Norway, Sweden, Italy and Germany.

I have the Hong Kong release, which was the first one available and is region free. It's curious that there's been no US Blu-ray release yet.

All of the Blu-rays appear to have the exact disc content and identical Disc ID's, with a ton of different audio tracks and various subtitles.

11. mlock

mlock Member

I too am a happy owner of the Happinet release of NOTLD.

Currently my cart has:
    THE WRAITH (not sure if it's available on BD anywhere else in the world? :confused:) and, the fantastic looking 30th anniversary ltd ed steel book of COMMANDO :glasses::fire: Tho pricey, I must admit I'm awfully tempted unless FOX steps up with a solid release here.