Japanese lasers - do you own any?

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Dave, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Dave

Dave Pimp

Seems like there are lots of great Japanese laserdiscs out there. The problem is that they're damn expensive.

I have the Encyclopedia of Horror box set. It's 4 discs - a pretty nice set (I'll review it someday).

What do you guys have/want, if any?

I'm hoping to get the Millenium TV series someday. I just bought some of the X-Files TV series sets. Sure, they're out on DVD, but the lasers were a bit cheaper and I'm a big enough fan of the show to want to own something so unique and rare.

2. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

I've got the Japanese edition of Dellamorte Dellamore, which is one of my all time favorite films. My only complaint is that the contrast is way too high on this transfer (but that can be adjusted easily). Thank God it was released there, for I have no multi-region DVD player. I was thinking about getting the Evil Dead LD, but I thought "How many F-in versions of this film do I need?".

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually JScott, that Japanese Evil Dead is REALLY nice, almost better than a lot of the domestic LDs and DVDs that came out. If you can get one cheap, why not have one more F-in version?

I have several Japanese LDs...

The above-mentioned Evil Dead
    Captain Supermarket (Army of Darkness, with the added scenes)
    Stendhal Syndrome (no Troma propaganda)
    The Brood
    Dario Argento: Master of Horror (different docu than World of Horror, ONLY available on Jap LD)
    Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Not to mention several Anime discs (Imports, that means no English subtitles at all!) like
    Kiki's Delivery Service
    Lupin III: Die Nostradamus
    Outlaw Star
    Serial Experiments: Lain
    Bubblegum Crisis

4. Crazferret

Crazferret Member

I have slowly replaced my japanese laserdiscs. I had

Eraserhead
    Transformers: The Movie
    Leon
    Star Wars: Episode 1
    Elephant Man

I only regret letting go of the Eraserhead LD. I thought that it was going to be released to the public on DVD, so I sold it. Now I am trying to find out the availbility on davidlynch.com. I am trying to get Dellamorte Dellamore and Braindead since I don't see them anywhere on the DVD horizon.

5. laserdogg

laserdogg Member

I only have a handful. Unfortunately for me, I am bothered by subtitles most of the time and unless the movie is extremely engrossing (I thought Brotherhood of the Wolf was great....mostly) they are too distracting.

I have:
    Stop Making Sense
    Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace
    Legend (Euro cut with Goldsmith score)
    Razorback (Russell Mulcahy director of Highlander)
    The Horror Show (House III)
    California Image Sketch: Sunny Side Up (Music)

and I also have that Encyclopedia of Horror boxset (which contained episodes of an early '90s TV show paying tribute to the horror genre) I haven't watched all of it as I found it a little dissapointing.

Were the Hakkenden and Detonator Orgun series japanese?
    I have those too.

My other anime are US issue, like my Kiki's Delivery Service.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2002
  6. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Because my film collection is limited enough already to several multiple versions of favorite films. I really need to concentrate my efforts for finding movies that I don't own at all. But since you've mentioned it, how does the Japanese LD chalk up to the Elite special edition DVD, or the new Book of the Dead release, videowise?

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I got "Eraserhead", "Stendhal Syndrome" and, um, "Return Of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (I got this one very very cheap so wtf).

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Subtitles don't bother me at all, even if they're in the picture.

As for the Encyclopedia, I've only watched a few discs, but I've found it enjoyable so far.

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I like all the versions of Evil Dead - but I have to give high marks to the Japanese LD because it's bright, crisp picture is pleasing to the eye. I can't really say, but...okay, what the hell...the DVD versions of Evil Dead aren't as good. But that's just to me, now yet. The trailer on the LD, however, is just too darn dark!
    I just got the LD boxset of Dawn of the Dead from Japan and I love it. I prefer Elite's picture out of THEM ALL, but this set is nice to have. No matter what score, letterbox matting or whatever Dawn is always appreciated.
    My Japanese LD's of The New Twilight Zone are treasured. I'm steadily finding the complete 12 disc set.
    Has anyone here seen the Japan versions of the Scream Trilogy lasers? Let this fiend know!

This sounds weird, but I love the scent of every Japanese LD I have - very cool.

10. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

OK Paff, you talked me into it. Got the Japanese LD of The Evil Dead, and it looks FABULOUS! This version makes the film look like it was shot in 35mm, and it blows away both DVD versions I have. So my question is, how does the Elite CAV Laserdisc look compared to the Japanese disc? I want to pick up the Elite disc, but as I've said before, how many F-in versions of this film do I need?

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Elite LDs are different than the Japanese, they were mastered differently. Go with the Elite CAV for the extras only

12. Administrator

Administrator Administrator Staff Member

It's worth noting that the Elite CAV box has the CLV version in it as well. That was the only way they could include DD5.1 and the two commentary tracks (i.e. commentaries on the CAV, DD5.1 on the CLV).

13. curry eater

curry eater Guest

Ive got the japanese version of FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN and payed an incredible £140($225) for it!!!!..these were the days before Criterion released it on laserdisk and yonks before dvd arrived and as i loved the film so much it was the best quality print u could get at the time..
    The gore is all intact but the nudity was smeared out so that was a bit of a downer..ive since got the film on dvd but i kept the LD as its still mega rare.

14. bigfreak

bigfreak Guest

I've got the Holy Mountain, Greenaway's Baby of Macon and a cool Twin Peaks "Audio Visual Soundtrack" with scenes of the locations in the rain and mist accompanying the standard soundtrack... I love them all!

15. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I've got...

Season of the Witch
    The Crazies
    Dawn of the Dead Perfect Collection
    Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

16. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I used to have DEMONS...and I bought it brand new in 1991, opened it, put it in the player and was treated to a snowy picture. My first rotted disc. I still played it though and I just loved the sleeve and inserts. I never did get DEMONS 2 from Japan.
    I have the GODZILLA DEATH BATTLE set and other box set featuring clips from Toho monster movies in sequence. It's really cool.

17. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Just the one Japanese disc - Robocop 3.

18. Cantona07

Cantona07 New Member

Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Uncut print
    Dellamorte Dellamorte

19. Dave

Dave Pimp

Too many.

Encyclopedia of Horror

(Several) Tales from the Crypt

(Several) Amazing Stories

(Several) Twilight Zone 80s

(Several) Tales from the Darkside

Bringing out the Dead

Starhip Troopers (bought for the cover art only, though I hear the US disc has rotted for many)

Dario Argento doc; forget the name offhand.

Still poke around on ebay for Japanese lasers now and then, but not much I'm interested in these days. Some day when I can afford it I would still like to get a high end player. While my collection has shrunk, I still have some gems that I would hate to give up. Much of the above has come out on domestic DVD, and I've purchased them. There's just no sense in reselling much of it since it's worthless for the most part (e.g. Twilight Zone 80s). I don't have the heart to throw them away, either. Many are older releases so they don't even compare to the DVD releases.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Most of the Japanese discs I own are of Japanese movies.

I listed a lot of my titles earlier in the thread. The Evil Dead disc is still great. My Stendhal Syndrome disc will be rendered obsolete when I get the Blue Underground DVD, although I'm holding onto it dearly because of the Asia Argento autograph on the cover.

A few I've added:
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
    Mothra

All in Japanese, no subs.