Japanese movie The Ring DVD?

Discussion in 'General' started by DeepDownTraumaHound, Dec 19, 2000.

1. Does anyone have any info on the Japanese horror movie "the Ring" coming to DVD,
    region 1 or 0? This move is genuinely creepy and it deserves a good release. If you haven't seen it i suggest that you do. I own the absolutely horrible VCD copy. AND not to mention a Japanese friend of mine said that the subtitles were way off!

------------------
    "Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

2. jimmyx

jimmyx Guest

3. jimmyx

jimmyx Guest

Tartan are releasing the ring 1 and 2 over here in the UK in march.
    I have the VCD with English subs for sale at the moment on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1400001112

[This message has been edited by jimmyx (edited 12-20-2000).]

4. Thanks jimmyx
    Do you know what the regional coding is on this? I have been endlessly searching for a good copy. The vcd is just terrible!

------------------
    "Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

5. jimmyx

jimmyx Guest

I should think that it will be Reg 2.

but In could be wrong it might be Reg free

6. Dave

Dave Pimp

Perhaps a more important question is what standard will it be released in - PAL or NTSC? Probably PAL if it's a native UK release.

------------------
    David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
    Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com

7. Okay Dave. but, please explain the difference to me. I have a multi region DVD player and it won't play certain PAL region 2 without it looking shitty, but is there a difference between PAL region 2 and PAL region 0? And if it's region 0 won't it play and ANY player? I'm a bit confused now. thanks.

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

Yes, PAL Region 0 will play on any player, but there's also the issue of your TV display. US TVs are NTSC, so trying to play a PAL signal on them won't work. Your player either has to convert the signal to NTSC or you have to have an external PAL/NTSC converter box to pass the signal through.

I wrote up a brief article trying to explain all of this - check it out at http://www.horrordvds.com/extras/articles/palntsc/ - it may help you understand.

Also, the only difference between PAL Region 2 and PAL Region 0 is that one is Region 0 while the other is Region 2.

------------------
    David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
    Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com