Jason Voorhees is a Deadite

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Nov 2, 2017.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/...ector-adam-marcus-says-jason-is-a-deadite-227

According to Adam Marcus(director of Jason Goes To Hell)

I was populating the film with Easter eggs, and at that time I was on set while writing the script, and spending time with Bob Kurtzman for The Evil Dead part 3 [Army of Darkness]. I had become friendly with Sam Raimi, so much so that he had shot several commercials in LA and I had hung out with him on set. Sam’s an amazing guy, and one of my heroes. So while I was there, I asked Sam if I could borrow the Necronomicon to put into my movie. Sam gave a bewildered “Why?!” and I explained the story. I was trying to create a mythology for Jason in this movie, because it had driven me nuts as a viewer.

I was there for the first Friday the 13th. I was ten years old when Sean Cunningham made that film, I’m best friends with his son Noel since we were six. Sean never expected this to turn into anything. He made a little thriller about a mom who murders a bunch of teenagers because she thinks they represent the teenagers who let her son die. But at the end of the movie – because he wanted to rip off Carrie, since it was a huge success – he thought, wouldn’t it be great if the kid leaps out of the water and grabs the girl? It ended up being the best scare in the movie.

Here’s the thing though, he never thought they were going to make a series of movies about the kid in the lake. Cut to several months later and Alice from the first movie is in her home and this full-size man (who was a boy two months ago) murders her- I know for me I was only twelve when part two came out, and even as a kid myself, I asked “What? Why isn’t it a boy, and how did he live for thirty years in a lake?” So what I told Sam was “I think it’s more fun if I have the Necronomicon in Pamela Voorhees’ house. She makes a deal with the devil by reading from the Necronomicon to bring back her son. This is why Jason isn’t Jason. He’s Jason plus The Evil Dead,” and now I can believe that he can go from a little boy that lives in a lake, to a full grown man in a couple of months, to Zombie Jason, to never being able to kill this guy.

That, to me, is way more interesting as a mash-up, and Raimi loved it! He literally went and picked up the book, put it in a plastic bag and told me to put it in the movie. So only Sam, myself, and Bob Kurtzman ever knew that was my agenda. It’s not like I could tell New Line my plan to include The Evil Dead, because they don’t own The Evil Dead. So it had to be an Easter egg, and I did focus on it… there’s a whole scene that includes the book, and I hoped people would get it and could figure out that’s what I’m up to.

So yes, in my opinion, Jason Voorhees is a Deadite. He’s one of The Evil Dead."

Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I just watched Jason Goes to Hell for the first time in a while a couple of weeks ago. I was wondering why the Book of the Dead from Evil Dead was sitting on the table. There you have it. Pretty cool.

The movie itself, however, is my least favorite of the run.

othervoice1 likes this.
  3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

That's awesome.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Don't know if my memories fails me, been 15 years since I last saw Jason Goes to Hell, but isn't the mystical dagger used on Jason, the skull dagger from Evil Dead?

Workshed likes this.
  5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

It's very similar to the original Evil Dead movie version.

Steel76 likes this.