JAWS on four wheels: The Car ... opinions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, May 9, 2004.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Watched this for the first time last night.
    Kinda silly and a bit slow at times, with more or less enjoyable bad cheese. Had it's moments but could have been much more.

[​IMG]

Great anamorphic transfer though. Another solid AB release.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I love this movie. I fondly remember seeing it when I was a kid quite a few times on TV. I bought the DVD about a year ago, indeed it has a very nice 2.35 anamorphic transfer. I had always thought it was simply shot in 1.33 before that!

3. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I haven't seen it in a number of years, but i thought it was pretty entertaining.

4. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I really enjoy this movie alot.I haven't gotten the DVD yet but I should soon because my VHS copy is getting pretty ragged from all the viewings LOL

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I recall seeing this as a youngster and liking it, but after getting the VHS a few years ago it didn't seem to hold up for me.

6. Katatonia

Yeah, the movie looks a bit dated now. I still really like it though.

Wasn't there something in the liner notes about Star Wars stealing the movie's fame? Something like "There would have been Car Wars instead of Star Wars!". That cracked me up.

7. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I remember even finding it pretty lame as a kid, but I'm a sucker for these kind of "road" movies. Well, I guess Christine isn't exactly that, but it's a superior movie. Duel, The Hitcher and Breakdown come to mind...and I like all of those far more. Still, if I happen to see this around sometime I might pick it up for nostalgia's sake and I never regret adding another AB title to my collection.

8. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

Yeah, you should do it soon too, because I think it is OOP.

9. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

It is OOP. On Amazon you can only purchase it in the seller's Marketplace. DVD Empire has completely removed it from their inventory. Anchor Bay has even removed it from their site. I purchased my copy via money order from DVD Empire on January 19th, 2004 and it shipped on January 27th, 2004. (No, I didn't remember that. I just checked my order page.) I'm sure glad I did, too. "The Car" is a wonderful horror film and I would hate to have missed out of owning it on DVD. The 16:9 enhanced 2.35:1 widescreen transfer is beautiful. It is so colorful, sharp, and detailed. The Sci-Fi Channel aired "The Car" a few months ago. I decided to watch the first few minutes of it just to see how their TV transfer compared to the DVD. My God! Not only was it presented MAR at 1.33:1, but the color was completely off. Everything in the opening scene looked purple! We should all be very thankful that we have DVD. I'm wondering why Anchor Bay let this film go OOP though.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Maybe Universal is gonna re-release it someday?

11. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Maybe. I was hoping (that it went OOP) because of an up-coming Special Edition DVD, but I know that's just wishful thinking. :)

12. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

Duel is the ultimate "Jaws on wheels." Hell, it was even directed by Spielberg. :D

13. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

The Car was filmed in and around the areas of St. George and Hurricane, Utah and Zion National Park. Here's some pics of that area I found online. What a beautiful place. I always think that when I watch the DVD too.

[​IMG]
    Main Street in St. George

[​IMG]
    The Bridge over the Virgin River

[​IMG]
    The Zion Tunnel

[​IMG]
    Zion Scenic Byway

http://soundwavescinema.com/Cinema/1996/Car.htm - This is a interesting read.

14. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

wow, awesome pictures.

15. Luna

Luna Guest

They show this one all the time on the Sci-Fi channel. In fact, I think it might have even been on last night or the night before. :D

16. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I borrowed a friend's DVD a while back and loved this movie. I'm pissed I got on the wagon too late since it's now OOP (and ebay is flooded with bootlegs) but I'm another one that's hoping someone will give this a new SE.

17. Katatonia

It was, in glorious pan & scan format. I felt like pulling out the DVD then... ;)

18. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

This is another one of those movies that I have such fond childhood memories of. Of course, watching it as an adult resulted in a much different experience, but no love was lost.

19. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I love The Car. Sure, it has some sprinkles of cheese, but overall it's a pretty fine little film in my book. While I'm a big fan of Carpenter's Christine, I always thought the Car was a creepier entity than Christine. The Car just appeared out of nowhere one day, has no backstory, and is actually quite intimidating, whereas Christine had her jealousy, backstory, and was more like a motorized human being.

Perhaps the single best scene in the film is when
    the Car plows through the annoying girlfriend's house and kills her in the "safety" of her own home. It goes a long way in showing what the sinister vehicle is capable of, and how far it'll goes to splatter it's tires with blood.
    The red tinted POV shots through it's windshield add to the eerieness factor too.

I'm a sucker for films that take place in desert-like locations, and the film's 2.35:1 photography does a great job of showing off the beautiful landscapes. The Car has plenty of room to roam for isolated victims.

I always liked James Brolin. He's suitably low key in this film, and I like his character's disbelief up to the very end.

Great film!

20. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Yeah, that is a great scene, Cujo. I also like the opening where
    the bicyclist is pushed off the bridge into the canyon below.

One funny/embarrassing/cheesy moment happens when
    The Car is leaving the cemetery after the police sirens are heard. That closeup of that woman shaking her fist and screaming, "Cat poo!" Um, yeah, you sure told it, lady.

The Car looked awesome too. Just like evil incarnate. The POV shots through the red tinted windshield were very effective. I wonder which one would win in a fight, The Car or Christine? HOOOONK HONK HONK HOOOONK!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006