Jean Rollin recommendations

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Anaestheus, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I've been curious about Rollin for a while. I picked up the Redemption Vampire Box set which contains Rape of the Vampire, Shiver of the Vampire and Requiem for a Vampire. I sort of enjoyed them, but don't really feel a strong desire to see more. However, I know he has a strong following, so maybe I'm not seeing the best material out there. So, I was wondering if these were good indications of Rollin's body of work or if I am making too hasty a judgement.

And if anyone is going to make recommendations of film titles, could you please include which versions you recommend.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Rape probably isn't the best introduction to Jean Rollin but Requiem probably is. Haven't seen Shivers. Grapes of Death is about the most "mainstream" horror film of his that I've seen so you may like that, but honestly, if you don't have a strong desire to see more after Requiem then you probably shouldn't bother. Probably. It's up to you, of course, but I recommend that you use netflix instead of buying more.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I actually enjoyed Grapes of Death. It's a bit daft, but it's more worthy than the other Rollin titles I've been subjected... erm... watched.

4. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

I suggest you avoid all of them :)

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Communist! :mad:

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

You should see The Iron Rose sooner rather than later, as it's his best film. His only film that I care for, actually, but I do love it.

7. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Even though i'm a big fan of all his films, I think the best place to start is THE LIVING DEAD GIRL, THE GRAPES OF DEATH, AND FASCINATION. All these films have a coherent story and some good gore to keep it interesting. I agree with Cujo, The Iron Rose is an excellent film, but takes a bit more patience than the other titles i mentioned.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Hated.

Hated.

Yah!

9. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Don't forget Zombie Lake. ;)

10. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I just saw Rape of the Vampire and really hated it...although I love alot of his other films, so I would not call it a good representation of his work. The best in my opinion are Living Dead Girl, Night of the Hunted, and Grapes of Death. The US releases from Image and Synapse are the only DVD versions I have ever seen.

11. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I enjoyed FASCINATION and LIVING DEAD GIRL the most. Still need to see GRAPES OF DEATH. I don't remember the overall movie impressing me much, but I really liked the closing moments of NIGHT OF THE HUNTED.

Have to add, though, that I don't actually own any of them other than ZOMBIE LAKE! He's definitely a "try before you buy" director, and even the movies by him that I've liked I haven't seen fit to add to my collection. I have ZOMBIE LAKE more for comedy purposes.

I should netflix THE GRAPES OF DEATH.

12. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Demoniacs, a very good film.

Rollin is definitely not for everyone, so I'd rent a few to see how you like them.

13. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

Night of the Hunted is very good, it's my favorite film of his, and it has Brigitte LaHaie. The movie might make you depressed though ;)

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Watched Rose of Iron and Grapes of Death yesterday. Both were great. Grapes of Death would probably be welcomed by any zombie fan. It had a real Resident Evil 4 feel to it. But Rose of Iron stayed with me more. Great simple film. Beautiful and haunting.

Thought I had posted recently but I can't find, I watched Fascination last week and thought it was great. Amazing atmosphere.

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Mok's post reminded me that I've been meaning to get back to this.

Since my original request for recommendations, Rollin has grown on me. Won't say I am a die hard fan and I suspect that 25% of my fondness for his films stems from liking to say "French lesbian vampire films from the 60's" But still, I actively like a number of his films at this point.

Based on you folks, I have seen:

Iron Rose - this definitely was a good recommendation and probably the first film where I actually "got" him

Fascination - a bit nonsensical at times, but it moves at a pretty fast pace compared to most of the other Rollin films I have seen.

Demoniacs - not bad. Interesting story idea, but some of the tavern scenes go on way too long.

The Nude Vampire - it's been a while since I saw this, but I remember liking it a lot. It has a more David Lynch/Alain Robbe-Grillet vibe that I really liked a lot.

Lips of Blood - not bad. I bit meandering at times, but some nice poetical images and themes.

Eventually, I'll get around to watching Living Dead Girl and Grapes of Death.

Thanks for all your input.

16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I would say Living Dead Girl was probably my favorite Rollin film. Much like Jess Franco's works you need to have a certain tolerance/acceptance for the style of filmmaking.

Attached Files:

17. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

What, no-one liked Two Orphan Vampires or Dracula's Fiancee?

18. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I enjoyed both of those.

I have to be in the right mood for his movies, but when I am in that mood, I haven't seen a film of his that I didn't really like.

19. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I liked Dracula's Fiancee but I haven't watched my copy of Two Orphan Vampires yet.

Attached Files: