Jean Rollin's THE DEMONIACS review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by RyanPC, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Damn. That's bad!

Are you sure a sixer is enough? :D

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

That's the thing - they ARE that bad. But some of you (even MOST of you) have developed an appreciation for them. I not only started from zero - but on watching them went BACKWARDS. Now, this is inexplicable. I might disagree on here sometimes (maybe even most of the time), but can mostly understand where people are coming from. But not here.

I found the direction, cinematography and lighting to be so amateurish, and lacking any semblence of style. The "surrealism" - given the lack of technical merit, comes across as being the ramblings of a sick mind. I mean, it's just laughably silly.

I think I feel this way because I can't find any way to penetrate the banality of it all. If I can't get inside at all - then I have nothing to hang my hat on, as it were.

Talking of hats - my hat is off to Ryan who seems to have been instantly taken with Rollin. It's more than I ever could. Again, I don't want to offend any fans here - but these two films (and Living Dead Girl I've heard told, is the BEST one!) are awful in the extreme. It is a brave soul that pays good money to delve into Rollins sight unseen. I tried it - and have regretted it ever since. Well, not regret perhaps, because it is always a good idea to at least TRY these things - but certainly, looking back, renting - if possible - would have been a FAR better option.

Still, if you don't have a pet to leave the occasional turd in your house, maybe these will do :)

3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

That could make for an amusing documentary.:lol:

4. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I would rent if i could but my local blockbuster doesn't seem to carry Living Dead Girl. ;) I know he's an acquired taste so i'll go in slow. :)

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

If you think Rollin is amateurish, don't EVER delve into Jess Franco!

I can't really explain my love for these films very well. Maybe my friend Luna can help, as Living Dead Girl is one of her favorite films, too. ;)

How can you say it's amateurish? It sounds like your talking about a whole other movie to me! I think everything about Living Dead Girl is beautiful, including the haunting ending. Great movie, IMO... but definitely NOT for all tastes. :)

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Oh, I've tried a touch of Franco. Franco was better than Rollin, but you're right, I really didn't enjoy it. However, if I am not mistaken, Franco did the Christopher Lee Fu Mancu movies - right? If so, they were a favorite when I was a kid - so he has SOME redeeming factors :)

Trust me, your astonishment at my calling them "amatuerish" is matched by mine, when I think that you don't find them so. :)

7. Luna

Luna Guest

You pretty much summed it up, but I'll paste some of what I said in another Euro horror thread:

"I can respect someone who isn't afraid to let the blood flow or spurt or even gush in some cases. There's something very raw and primal about that sort of thing, which I think is missing in a lot of today's more mainstream horror. A perfect example of this would be ... Rollin's "Living Dead Girl".... The ending is a heartwrenching thing to watch, in my opinion... truly tragic and one of the more memorably bloody things I think I've ever seen!"

Basically, I love the setting -- gorgeous countryside, as Rollin often chooses from what I've seen -- which complements the surreal atmosphere, the era in which it was made (I'm not sure it'd be as effective if it were made today in another setting), and here's something I find to be pretty rare... I actually felt really BAD for the main character. The ending was so painful and tragic to watch for that reason! I couldn't even imagine being in that situation. The ending was simply beautiful and poetic in its violence, to me, if that makes sense. I really don't wanna spoil it for those who haven't seen it, so I'll leave it at that.

Btw, I'm not saying everyone has to love Rollin - he is definitely an acquired taste, or perhaps more accurately, either you love him or you HATE him. I'm just trying to explain my own reasons. My first Rollin movie was Living Dead Girl and WOW, it clicked instantly. From the first few frames there was no question I LOVED this film. Requiem for a Vampire is my second favorite and I liked the Demoniacs, but not nearly as much as the previous two. I need to see more Rollin, I think. :D

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Look, I think you're all a bit wacky. The one beautiful moment was when it was - thankfully - all over. It was matched, at only a slightly lower level, by the rush of glee I felt when someone said - "Would you consider trading for those?"

:lol:

9. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

The only Rollin film I could stand, really, was Fascination. Franco I guess is on the better side because I enjoyed at least two of his movies (but on the other side of the coin, squeezed a real turd of a movie worse than most I've ever seen).

10. dvdasia62

dvdasia62 Guest

Rollin = Genius!

11. Luna

Luna Guest

:lol: :lol:

Hey, I can respect that. I'm sure there are some films I despise that people would look at me funny for disliking. Moulin Rouge comes to mind, immediately. What a piece of shit. :(

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

You got that right, brotha! ;)

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

:lol::lol:

PLEASE don't say you like Exorcist 2 or I'll barf. :lol:

14. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Living Dead Girl is not amateurish at all. It is well staged scenes, has very nice gor effects (appart from the eye piercing) and a dreamlike / gothic quality only to be matched by Bava's Lisa & The Devil. The ending is one of the most shocking and nightmarish ending I have ever EVER seen.

It is one of the first euro-horror film I saw and made me an instant fan!

15. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Errr... I love Exorcist II...

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

17. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: