Jess Franco on Blu Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Jul 20, 2012.

1. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

A new Franco blu coming from Severin, the never-released-in-the-U.S. HOT NIGHTS OF LINDA (1975), due October 8th:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...eASIN=B00E4YVETY&linkCode=as2&tag=cinema09-20

From their website:
    Blu-Ray/DVD Combo Plus Exclusive Bootleg DVD Of French Hard Banana Version!

When writer/director Jess Franco died in April 2013, cinema lost its legendary master of Euro-Cult. Now in memory of his extraordinary 50+ year career, Severin is proud to present one of his most notorious slabs of über-sleaze: Alice Arno (of JUSTINE DE SADE fame) stars as a secretary sent to the seaside estate of a depraved millionaire, his nymphomaniac daughter (Franco’s beloved muse Lina Romay), her invalid cousin and their grunting houseboy. But when her day’s work ends, a nightmare of depraved new duties will begin! Paul Muller (BARBED WIRE DOLLS) costars in this Uncle Jess jaw-dropper packed with incest, lesbianism, sadism and murder, restored from a 35mm print discovered in a Barcelona bordello, loaded with Bonus Features and presented in high definition for the first time ever!

* BONUS DISC (Limited to first 2500 Copies) French Hard Banana Version
    * Hot Nights - Exclusive interview with Director Jess Franco
    * Jess and Lina talk LINDA - Exclusive interview with Director Jess Franco and Star Lina Romay
    * Fantasticfest Lifetime Achievement Award Presentation to Jess Franco
    * NIGHTMARE USA/BEYOND TERROR author Stephen Thrower on LINDA
    * Out-takes
    * Trailer

[​IMG]

More about the bonus disc from their blog:
    1975 was a prolific year for Jess Franco in arguably his greatest filmmaking era. But giving one of his more outstanding works from that time its global disc debut has not been an easy road. Those familiar with the complicated history of THE HOT NIGHTS OF LINDA aka BUT WHO RAPED LINDA? aka EROTIC DREAMS aka HAPPINESS IN SIN aka COME CLOSE, BLOND EMMANUELLE know that there are two very different ‘official’ versions of the film (let’s not get into the various censored versions of those versions that have surfaced over the years). There’s the 80 minute BUT WHO RAPED LINDA? soft-core release version, which was Franco’s preferred cut and the longest version out there, and the controversial French release LES NUITS BRÛLANTES DE LINDA which runs slightly shorter at just over 78 minutes. The latter version contains a number of alternate sex scenes, including the infamous full brutal banana sequence. These harder sex scenes and alternate nude scenes are not inserts shot by another director at a later date, these sequences were shot by Franco.

We have newly transferred the full BUT WHO RAPED LINDA? version from a rare archive 35mm release print, which thankfully was in good enough condition to scan in hi-def for Blu-ray presentation. Whereas only a collector’s analog tape was available to us for the NUITS BRÛLANTES French version. We commissioned an English translation of the dialog on this version so that it can be presented with English subtitles for the first time. Frankly the picture and sound quality are not great so we are making a strictly limited edition of 2500 which will contain not only the regular Blu-ray/DVD combo of BUT WHO RAPED LINDA? but also an extra bonus DVD containing LES NUITS BRÛLANTES DE LINDA.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. bruce h

3. bruce h

HOT NIGHTS OF LINDA at Rock!Shock!Pop!

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/...-ray-review-dvd-review-brutal-nights-of-linda

And DVD Drive-In

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/e-h/hotnightslinda75blu.htm

and Blu-Ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Hot-Nights-of-Linda-Blu-ray/73551/#Review

[​IMG]

Also worth noting that there are three more releases in the "Jess Franco Golden Goya Collection" from Germany's Ascot Elite: ILSA THE MAD BUTCHER, WOMEN IN CELL BLOCK 9, and DORIANA GRAY. I picked them up from DiabolikDVD over the weekend; ILSA THE MAD BUTCHER may be the best looking Franco blu yet! Some of the scenes seriously look brand new.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  4. bruce h

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

[​IMG]

Severin Films earlier this month, via their Facebook, have confirmed and are currently working on prepping Jess Franco's Vampyros Lesbos for Blu-ray, which according to them will likely arrive sometime in the first half of 2015. I believe they are also prepping Franco's She Killed in Ecstasy for Blu-ray as well from another photo posted on their Facebook back in September. Personally can't wait to revisit both of these in HD!

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

She Killed in Ecstasy is Fantastic. Probably the most sure-handedly "Franco" Franco film.

7. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

8. MorallySound

9. zbinks

10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Last time i saw Erotic Rites was on a bootleg VHS back in the 80's. I'll be picking this up. Also picked up several Franco blu-rays from Amazon.de recently at very good prices.

11. zbinks

12. russweiss

Wow another great title I'll have to pick up.

13. MorallySound

YES! Love love love Dracula's Daughter! Will gladly upgrade from my hardbox German DVD.

russweiss, I've also got one of those Belgians, although mine is clean of theatre play info.

14. russweiss

I have two French posters for this as well but both feature the same artwork as the Pressbook on the right.

15. zbinks

https://www.facebook.com/mondomacab...total_comments=9&comment_tracking={"tn":"R0"}

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=10801778&postcount=533

16. MorallySound

Also noted about the upcoming COUNTESS PERVERSE Blu-ray from Mondo Macabro, straight from Jared Aurner: "The X-rated cut will be included, and possibly some other footage that's pretty much been unseen."

So good news!

So that means for upcoming Franco on Blu-ray we've got the following coming:

Redemption
    Sadistic Baron Von Klaus
    The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein
    Dracula's Daughter

Mondo Macabro
    Countess Perverse

Severin
    The Devil Hunter/Cannibal Terror

Blue Underground
    ???

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  17. russweiss

Countess Perverse had an excellent quality transfer on the DVD and while I enjoyed the film I don't think I'll buy the blu. I will buy Erotic Rites as well as Daughter of Dracula. Also I recently picked up about 7-8 of the German release Ascot blu-rays.

18. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Anyone have the Goya Collection Love Letters of a Portuguese Nun Blu in "more or less unplayed condition"? Seems to be off the grid… anyone seen it "out there"?

19. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

DiabolikDVD could order it for you. I almost ordered it last month.

20. MorallySound

I've got all the Franco Goya Collection Blus, but not up for sale. While also out of stock on DTM, they can also order it by request if Diabolik can't: http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=54836