Jess Franco on Blu Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Jul 20, 2012.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I know they also have, or had, Sinfonia Erotica at least when I talked to them in person two years ago at a convention.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I never bought any of the Ascot Elite Jess Franco releases from Germany & am looking to pick some up. Are these Franco Blu-ray releases good quality in general?

Also, are these two releases the same film?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Was wondering if Die Marquise Von Sade is the more explicit film and the other is a cut version? Amazon Germany does not have Die Marquise Von Sade available, but does have the other title.

3. MorallySound

I have all of the Franco Ascot Blu-ray releases (except the "Dorianan Gray" re-release on the left, and I'll get to why) and they all look pretty good to great depending on the release/print condition (here's a couple comparisons on Caps-A-Holic: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=8279&d2=8278&c=3360 and http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=5574&d2=5575&c=2274 ). The difference between those two Die Marquise von Sade releases is the one on the right (Die Marquise von Sade title) contains both the hardcore and the softcore versions, and the one on the left (Das bildnis der Doriana Gray) is only the softcore cut. The reason for the two different releases is they couldn't release the hardcore version into stores/retailers in Germany (hence why Die Marquise von Sade is not on Amazon.de). The other thing to note is the hardcore cut has an English audio option and the softcore cut is German only with no English subtitles... so the softcore-only version is also not English friendly. They still have a few copies of the Die Marquise version on Blu-ray over at D&T Mailorder (Europe's version of DiabolikDVD) which is where I originally ordered mine from on first release: http://shop.dtm.at/product_info.php?products_id=52603

satans-sadists likes this.
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

As always, you are a great wealth of Franco knowledge. Greatly appreciated, man! Figured I was late to the Franco Ascot party. Die Marquise von Sade is not available at many stores at this point. Thanks for the clarification. So now when I buy Die Marquise von Sade - not only will I get an English friendly presentation, but also a hardcore cut of the film with a young Lina Romay! That is an awesome WIN/WIN scenario!

MorallySound likes this.
  5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I agree with Morally Sound. I've also bought all the Ascot blus and the few I've watched so far have been better quality than you expect from these low budget 70's titles. The price makes them well worthwhile picking up.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

More questions for Morally Sound & Russweiss, are all the other Franco Ascot titles uncut? Just wondering if Doriana Gray was the only one to get re-released as a cut version? Anyone know of another online store to buy Die Marquise von Sade? D&T Mailorder shipping would run me in the ballpark of 27 Euros. Hoping I can buy the other Ascot releases uncut at Amazon Germany. Their shipping costs are far cheaper.

7. russweiss

I bought nearly all my titles from Amazon.de. I think I picked up two from Ebay UK. As far as I know the blu-rays are uncut however I have not read reviews to that effect. The titles I watched (The Slaves, Love Letters of a Portuguese Nun, and Wanda the Wicked Warden all had extensive nudity (as is typical for a Franco film) so I assumed they were uncut.

8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I have all the Ascot Elite Franco's as well. I assumed they were all uncut and I think they were all scanned/owned by the same producer.

9. MorallySound

With most of Franco's work there are a lot of titles with multiple cuts/versions, so "uncut" isn't always a definitive choice of words, but yes the remainder of the Ascot releases are all definitive cuts of the Deitrich films. As far as finding the Die Marquise von Sade Blu-ray your only other known options at this point are D&T or if one pops up on ebay, unless you can scour another online retailer who may stock it. DiabolikDVD had stocked it upon initial release, and they have some of the other Ascot titles still in stock but unfortunately not that one. I can at least vouch for D&T as far as having had all my orders delivered successfully.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I ended up buying Die Marquise Von Sade along with Girls in the Night Traffic at D & T. Girls was not available at Amazon DE either. Despite the outrageous shipping fee, I barely paid more than what I see Diabolik charges for two of these Franco imports plus their shipping fee as well. Neither film is available in stock at Diabolik anyway. Look forward to getting these. Hopefully D & T has expedited international shipping, because I paid just about as much for shipping than I did for the two films.

11. russweiss

Girls in the Traffic Night was one of the titles I bought from Ebay UK. That was probably a year ago and even back then it wasn't available from Amazon DE. Most of these Franco titles I was able to get for under $15.00 but a couple I paid around $30.00.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I get the impression that it's not just Die Marquise von Sade that is difficult to buy from German retailers, seems like perhaps some others from the Franco Ascot Elite series have had to be sold elsewhere & a little harder to find. The two I bought from D & T came out to $30 each with shipping. Eyeing up some of the other films at other stores for better prices thankfully.

By the way, I stumbled upon a Girls in the Night Traffic Blu-ray review that mentions an Easter Egg:

"It should also be noticed that Girls in the Night Traffic comes in 2 separate versions on this Blu-ray set from Ascot Elite a restored HD version which is the softcore cut under the title Girls in the Night Traffic. We then get the hardcore version of the film which is 7 minutes longer, but is not similarly restored, and comes under the title Wilde Lust. This is an Easter Egg on the disc, and can be found hidden in the extras menu by toggling right until a little icon appears on the screen."

russweiss and MorallySound like this.
  13. russweiss

I pulled out my blu-ray for this and you just have to love the covers for these Franco titles. Full frontal nude woman boldly pictured. Interesting on the back it says "uncut soft version." Just the fact that it says soft version indicates there is a different version available. Thank for the info.

14. MorallySound

A little late to the party since it's been out for a few years, but here's DVDBeaver on the Redemption Blu-ray for Female Vampire: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_76/female_vampire_blu-ray.htm - but they also include a comparison to the new UK label Maison Rougue which is re-releasing a lot of the Franco/Redmeption transfers in the UK as DVD-only.

They gave a pretty rough review to the actual movie which for me is personally my absolute favourite Jess Franco film, but Gary Tooze has never been known to like or 'get' any Franco releases he's covered.

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Missing anything?

1. Hot Nights of Linda (Severin)
    2. Love Camp (Goya Collection)
    3. Die Sklavinnen (Goya Collection)
    4. Wicked Women (Goya Collection)
    5. Blue Rita (Goya Collection)
    6. White Skin Black Thighs (Goya Collection)
    7. Jack the Ripper (Goya Collection)
    8. Voodoo Passion (Goya Collection)
    9. Ilsa (Goya Collection)
    10. Women in Cellblock 9 (Goya Collection)
    11. Downtown (Goya Collection)
    12. Mondo Erotico (Goya Collection)
    13. Awful Dr. Orloff (Redemption)
    14. Virgin Among the Living Dead (Redemption)
    15. Nightmares Come at Night (Redemption)
    16. Bloody Moon (Severin)
    17. Exorcism (Redemption)
    18. Demons (Redemption)
    19. Female Vampire (Redemption)
    20. She Killed in Ecstasy (Severin)
    21. Vampyros Lesbos (Severin)
    22. Girls in the Night Traffic (Goya Collection)
    23. Barbed Wire Dolls (Goya Collection)
    24. Sexy Sisters (Goya Collection)
    25. Love Letters of a Portuguese Nun (Goya Collection)
    26. Doriana (Goya Collection)
    27. Oasis of the Zombies (Redemption)
    28. Al Perieria vs. the Alligator Ladies
    29. Celestine - Maid at Your Service (Region B, No Eng. Subs)
    30. Erotic Rites of Frankenstein (Redemption)
    31. The Sadistic Baron Von Klaus (Redemption)
    32. Devil Hunter (Paired with the non-Franco "Cannibal Terror") (Severin)
    33. Dracula (Severin)
    34. Eugenie (Blue Underground)
    35. Marquis De Sade’s Justine (Blue Underground)
    36. The Girl From Rio (Paired with the non-Franco "The Million Eyes of Sumuru") (Blue Underground)
    37. Count Dracula (Severin)
    38. Daughter of Dracula (Redemption) (Pre-Order)
    39. 99 Women (Blue Underground) (Pre-Order)
    40. Silence of the Tomb/Sinister Eyes of Doctor Orloff (Dorado)
    41. Night of 1000 Desires (Mondo Macabro)
    42. How to Seduce a Virgin (as 'Plaisir a Trois') (X-Rated) (Region B (?), no Eng. Subs, avail from Mondo Macabro in US)
    43. Dr. Orloff's Monster (Redemption)
    44. The Blood of Fu Manchu/Castle of Fu Manchu Double Feature (Blue Underground Blu)
    45. Countess Perverse/Sexy Nature & How to Seduce a Virgin (Mondo Macabro Blu)

Upcoming:

Dorado Films:
    Jess Franco Double Feature Vol. 2: Camino Solitario & Juego sucio en Casablanca

Alive (Germany):
    Dracula, Prisoner of Frankenstein

Severin*:
    Jack the Ripper (Previously released)
    Shining Sex
    Two Female Spies with Flowered Panties
    Sinfonia Erotica

*rumored releases

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Angelman likes this.
  17. MorallySound

Jack the Ripper can be removed under Severin as thet are actually releasing the 1959 Amicus film Jack the Ripper, so it's NOT Franco's film. But Two Female Spies with Flowered Panties is confirmed and coming soon under the title Merchants of Sex, and is rumoured to include both the Spanish and French cuts of the film:

[​IMG]

18. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I'm so glad Severin are releasing Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals, the 88 Films version is an abomination and I bought it and it's not even watchable. It is the worst blu ray out there, it's not even DVD quality it's VHS quality BARELY. It really makes me not want to buy anymore 88 FIlms releases and I don't think I have any others besides that one because they seem like a rip off company after buying that one, it's not worth 5 cents much less the $20 I spent for it. I will definitely get the Severin release if it gets good reviews though. Looks like a lot of good stuff from Severin soon I can't wait.

19. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

they seem to be a hit-and-miss company, i have a couple of their Blu's (Zombie 3, Burial Ground, Anthropophagous, 2019 After The Fall Of New York, Scalps, The Devonsville Terror, Amuck) and of those, Burial Ground and Amuck look the best. They are definitely not playing in the same league as Arrow, VS, Severin or Second Sight. I wouldn't call them a rip off company either.

20. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i haven't checked out the hardcore version, but the running time of the softcore is about 71 minutes and the running time of the hardcore seems to be 93 minutes, so definitely more than 7 minutes of footage