Jim Jarmusch's The Dead Don't Die

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Workshed, Natas and MorallySound like this.
  2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

You had me at Jarmusch.

msw7 likes this.
  3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Looks fun, man that's a cast!

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I adore Jim Jarmusch. Count me in.

5. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Me too.

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Edit: They really didn't need to apply any zombie makeup to Iggy Pop.

Colin and buck135 like this.
  7. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy, but it's pretty rare these days for me to be very excited about an upcoming movie. This one looks like it might be fun though- can't wait.

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Wow, that cast.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Didn't realize this comes out this week. And it's getting like next to zero promotion. Shame.

Trailer #2

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I've been seeing quite a few TV spots considering it's a limited release (under 1000 theaters). It doesn't even look like it's playing here, or at least it's not on the schedule yet.

11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Oh. Near me, last night was the first TV spot I've seen for it. Near me it's playing in an AMC and a Bowtie. Both only have one showing time Friday.

12. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I've seen a couple of really bad reviews for this (both 2/10), but I'm looking forward to seeing it. Doesn't appear to be showing anywhere near me though.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Saw it last night and I can't say I'd recommend it. I laughed more during the trailer for Stuber than this whole film and even when I did laugh it was just a chuckle. Seemed like a love-in for the cast and Jarmusch but the audience was left out in the cold. While there were quite a few of us in the theater, besides a single laugh every now and again, it was dead silent. It's a lot of wasted potential and with all the Romero butt kissing it does you'd think they'd throw the SFX guys a bone and have some iconic zombie kills but it seems like they intentionally avoided Savini-esque set pieces. It made for a really dull zombie movie. Dawn of the Dead literally has pie throwing at zombies so you need to try a little harder if you want to be a zom-com.

Feels like a first draft with way too much setup and not enough punchline. The scenes where they broke the 4th wall nobody laughed at and always make an unfunny comedy all the worse for wear like they're desperate for any laugh. The scenes with Bill Murray, Adam Driver and Chloë Sevigny were good and could have served as a grounded but humorous lead story for the madcap events to encircle but nothing else in the film works. Tilda Swinton's scenes grind the film to a halt and quite a bit of it is completely pointless (Selena Gomez's scenes interacting with the leads are kinda funny but I'd rather they'd been cut
    (with seeing her decapitated as really the only payoff; Never thought I'd see the day!)
    and there's quite a few scenes with kids in a juvenile detention center that doesn't seem to even try to be funny and serves no purpose. Jarmusch claims he wanted to show how smart this upcoming generation are but all they did was lock themselves in a closet and then when the coast was clear escape. Any frighten toddler would do the same.)

And what is it about UFOs randomly showing up in a comedy movie? Feels like it's been done to death. I think I've seen a comedy do it every month this year. I literally lowered my head to hand and shook it ashamed by proxy. Swinton getting beamed up by the UFO was a bit too telegraphed for a gag that is old hat by now; UHF did it 30 years ago!

If you tightened it by cutting it down to less then 90 minutes and used alternate takes were you left in something funnier like a flub or two you might have ended up with something less disappointing. At least then one could say one more good thing about it, "Well at least it was short."

There are scores of filmmakers out there who could have taken these actors, taken this production crew and used this money to make an entertaining zombie movie. I'm curious what the Jarmusch fans on this board think. Usually when a movie splits an audience I come out in support of it but this one left me cold.

14. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Really appreciate your thoughts on the flick. Heard a lot of the same...... I'll skip the theater for this one.

15. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I see him around town sometimes so I gotta see it in the interest of shopping local first. Jim seems like a real nice guy and I heard he made the film around here so thats got my cash.

16. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say this is nearly as bad as a lot of people have made it out to be, but it is a huge letdown overall. I did enjoy the first half of the film - for what it was worth - featuring your standard traits of a Jarmusch film (quirky characters, deadpan humor, etc), but the film really comes unglued in the final act. After the credits rolled I felt like I watched a film with an unfinished script. It's really a frustrating watch when the film is all setup and no payoff. I'd say wait for the DVD release if you're curious, just keep your expectations in check.