John Carpenter's Halloween on 4K Ultra 9/25!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Jul 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

russweiss likes this.
  2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Nailwraps likes this.
  3. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. But (like you said) I wanted to give it its own thread.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This is so very tempting, but I just have to weigh whether I will ever benefit from 4k.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I don’t have a 4K player or TV but I’ll be getting this lol. Halloween is my fav horror movie I can’t pass it up.

~Matt

Angelman likes this.
  6. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I feel ya. It's not my favorite, but I'm tempted because Carpenter knew how to shoot'em.

Who knows, though, maybe one day I will be able to benefit from this. ARRRGGHHHH this is how it all starts! Before I know it I'll be upgrading all of my blu's to 4k hahaha.

Matt89 likes this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Totally. While low budget, Halloween was well shot on good quality film with the best camera equipment Carpenter could get. That's basically where all the budget went. And Dean Cundey is one of the best in the biz.

So I think full UHD will suit Halloween well. I'm just hoping they don't cheap out and fuck up the transfer/encode. That's my main concern.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Ugh...

...and for anyone that was hoping this release would bring back the THX color scheme...

... the shots at 4:14 make it look like they've gone a bit in the opposite direction.

10. zbinks

Blu-Ray.com review: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Halloween-4K-Blu-ray/210868/#Review

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

They likely won’t ever bring back the THX color timing. I’m used to it too because it was the first version of Halloween that I ever saw (and why I’ve never parted with my THX 2-disc DVD) but it’s revisionist as fuck. It’s not at all what Halloween is supposed to look like. Dean Cundey approved the transfer, but the colorizing was done by Adam Adams. He said that they wanted to make it look more like fall. They spot color timed trees, the night scenes are overly blue. The 5.1 mix on that release is also revisionist.

It’s the only version of Halloween that looks that way. The 2007 blu-ray looks kinda similar but it’s also inaccurate - it’s way too bright. And don’t even get me started on the disaster that was the Divimax release for the film’s 25th. The Criterion laserdisc and previous VHS releases all had a very similar look to the 35th anniversary blu-ray and 40th anniversary 4K. Cundey said the current color timing is true to the way Halloween originally looked and tbh, I’m okay with that.

They only thing they fucked up on this UHD is the lack of the true mono track. And quite frankly that’s inexcusable. Thankfully the 7.1 mix isn’t the same revisionist sound mix that was done for the THX DVD, but the true mono should still be on there.

~Matt

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yep, but from my understanding Cundey was more involved than simply "approval" because he addressed it in an interview years later and said it was the first time he ever did color correction digitally so he pushed it further than he really should have because he got caught up with. It was before he had a better understanding of the results in the editing suite versus out in the wild. Later transfers are truer to the original film's theatrical look. I can't find that interview unfortunately. It looks great and I'll never give up my discs, but the fact of the matter is the current color balance is reflective of the original intent. And that's all we really have a right to ask for.

And that's why the downmix of the surround sound for the mono track is fucked. It bites and unfortunately is all too common. But not enough people bitch about that shit so it'll keep happening. :mad:

13. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Those curious, the disc is available in store at Target and Walmart. Currently watching the disc and the transfer is darker than I remember seeing the film (been a few years since I watched it). With all the different transfers of the movie in the past two decades, I am not even sure what Halloween is suppose to look like! LOL

14. zbinks

15. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This isn't entirely true, Matt. I agree with you totally on the revisionist aspect of the surround soundtrack, but I respectfully disagree with virtually everything you said above about the color timing. There is zero evidence showing that spot timing was done. I proved this by taking 35th Anniversary version screenshots of the scene where Michael appears next to the hedge on the street and restoring the THX look merely by manipulating the yellow channel. This could easily have been done photochemically with prints in 1978 by manipulating the cyan channel. This was standard practice for bigger-budgeted films. But since it was a manual process requiring substantial skill, it's unlikely it would have been done consistently for every print for a low-budget release in 1978. I'm not saying you're wrong, only that no evidence exists to support the spot timing claim--and that Cundey could have requested this look only to have his wishes ignored when Halloween was mass-printed for more theaters after word of mouth started to build.

https://horrordigital.com/community...blu-ray-forthcoming.44865/page-13#post-750064

You're right about Cundey approving the THX transfer and not actually twiddling the dials himself, but A LOT of evidence suggests that the THX edition is the only edition to accurately reflect the night-time blues present ON THE ORIGINAL B-ROLL NEGATIVES. Don May, Jr. had those rolls in his possession (and still does to my knowledge), and he has DEFINITIVELY stated that the extremely rich blue tint (which many lesser authorities have referred to as boosted) appears on the negatives themselves--meaning that this was an on-set lighting decision. If you believe Don that the blues are inaccurate on EVERY OTHER VERSION (as his comments suggest), doesn't it seem likely that the day-time scenes might also be off on all the other releases? Note also that Bill Lustig, who WAS involved in the dial twiddling for the THX edition, told Damon Toell of Home Theater Forum that Cundey was present THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE COLOR CORRECTION PROCESS of the THX edition. Like many other things concerning Halloween and the original look of the film, this is also debatable since Lustig was involved in the writing of Anchor Bay's THX DVD production diary, a fairly exhaustive discussion of the restoration, and Cundey isn't extensively mentioned (though there isn't a ton of talk about the color timing process, either).

https://horrordigital.com/community/threads/preferred-halloween-1978-transfer.41556/#post-660006

So, depending upon which insiders you believe, Cundey has now been equally involved with two separate restorations--AND THEY BOTH ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER AND EVERY OTHER RELEASED VERSION OF THE FILM. Neither is consistent with the laser disc or any other digital version of Halloween. Cundey gave many interviews about the 35th Anniversary transfer, but it doesn't explain why it looks completely different from the THX edition that bears his name. And let's not forget that he had a lot more financial incentive to pimp the more recent release over the THX DVD. I think it's a hell of a lot more likely that he accurately remembered his original intentions in 1999 versus a couple years ago, but that's obviously less than completely scientific.

Here's one more possible piece of evidence supporting the accuracy of the THX edition. I did some digital manipulation experiments on screenshots to see how they arrived at the desaturated look of the day scenes in the 35th Anniversary edition. They show evidence of blue boosting in edition to the muted color level, which results in the much colder look of the day-time scenes. Obviously blues were boosted on-set for the night scenes, but no prior release of Halloween features anything resembling the day-time cast of the 35th Anniversary edition. All of the previous digital transfers skew much more green than blue in the daytime scenes. That makes me wonder if Cundey didn't mistakenly apply some level of blue tinting to ALMOST EVERY SHOT OF THE FILM for the newer Blu-ray release.

https://horrordigital.com/community...blu-ray-forthcoming.44865/page-14#post-750307

We'll never know for sure about the original color timing. The point of my post isn't to claim you're wrong--only that it's impossible to speak definitively about the color timing of Halloween. Cundey's comments are inconsistent, and a lot of experts dispute at least some of what he's said.

On another matter, thanks to you and the others who posted positive thoughts on the new film. I'm more excited than I was before you guys weighed in so enthusiastically. Thanks!

Matt89 and russweiss like this.
  16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The 4K disc looks great. The HDR really shines in spots, and there were several instances where I noticed things I've never seen before. Like most of you, I've seen this film hundreds of times. This is easily my go to disc with all future rewatches.

Steel76 likes this.
  18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

My disc is on the way :)

I also pre-ordered The Fog, Escape from New York, Prince of Darkness and They Live on UHD.

Good times for us Carpenter fans :)

Now if only Arrow would get their thumbs out of their asses, and release The Thing on UHD!

buck135 likes this.