Jordan Peele's "US" (2019)

Discussion in 'General' started by Colin, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Synopsis
    A mother and father take their kids to their beach house, expecting to enjoy time with friends, but their serenity turns to tension and chaos when some visitors arrive uninvited.

Official Trailer

Workshed and Natas like this.
  2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Looks pretty fucking cool, man...... looking forward to this.

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Great trailer.

4. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

This looks great!

5. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting piece of trivia courtesy of Bloody-Disgusting

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  6. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I'll pass on watching the trailer. But I'm looking forward to the movie. I saw that list linked from I think Collider and still need to check out a few movies from that list myself. I never heard of Dead Again. Still haven't seen Martyrs yet even though I want to. I saw the A Tale of Two Sisters remake but I'll watch the original and revisit the remake as I thought it was pretty good. And I really need to see the original and remake of Let the Right One In. I'm so behind on stuff.

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Dead Again is a movie I really love. It's a little overly theatrical, but the story is pretty fantastic.

8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

chancetx and Workshed like this.
  9. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Great poster!

10. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Anyone else seen it yet? Would love to discuss theories. I left the theater completely befuddled. :confused:

CPT HOOK likes this.
  11. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

Watched it last night. Didn't like it at all. Hollow characters. Weak comedy. Overly long. It kept reminding me of Jacob's Ladder, another WTF film I enjoyed more than this one.

Quick review: http://splattercritic.com/2019/03/us/

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Tix booked for Saturday.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

LOVED it! No sophomore slump for Peele. I also thought Get Out was brilliant, but I didn't find it scary. On the other hand, I found Us actually kind of scary in parts, or at least tense. The home invasion chunk of the movie reminded me a bit of You're Next and kept me on the edge of my seat. It certainly helps when you're invested in the family, and I really loved this family. It's maybe a bit too expository at times (the closet door sticks, I wonder if that's coming back around later?), but that's seriously just me nitpicking. Big thumbs up from me, I'll be the happiest horror fan ever if I see another horror movie this year I enjoy more than this.

I'm stealing this from another review, and I'm too lazy to look up that review, but it said something to the effect of: In 10 years or so we'll be able to ask each other what's your favorite Jordan Peele movie, and like Hitchcock, Craven, Carpenter, etc there won't be one unanimous answer. I love that, and I can't wait for what's next.

I'm a bit intrigued by some of the reactions I'm seeing, specifically the ones like chancetx being "befuddled" or Cooperkill calling it a "WTF film". I'm seeing that other places too, where people are confused by it. There are certainly plenty of themes and subtext to explore, but narratively I found it very accessible and easy to follow.

chancetx, I'd love to discuss with you. Either here with spoiler tags or via PM until more people have seen it.

dave13 and chancetx like this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

A friend of mine who's not at all into horror saw it and said it was great and more like Treehouse of Horror than anything else.

I was curious to see it. Then kinda got over that. But now I'm curious again.

15. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Saw it this evening, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to checking out the various theories folks have on it.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I never saw GET OUT so I'm only judging the film on it's own merits, not as a follow up to a big hit. I saw it Thursday night late, with a near sell out crowd.The trailer drew me in and I wanted to like it. Sadly it just didn't do it for me. I thought it was slow, not in a "slow burn" sort of way but just draggy in the first half. When the action kicked in I found some of the imagery eerie but when the baddies spoke or made noise I thought it was a bit comical. The film would also start to build up tension and then completely dispel it by making comic quips. This didn't have the 80's style approach to carry that off for me, it just seemed forced and took me out of it. The father character was so ineffectual that at times it felt like a spoof. He came off as a goofy sitcom dad. A sinister sequence involving the snapping of fingers unfortunately put me in the mind of WEST SIDE STORY.While I don't want to get specific, the film opens with a scroll and seems to be setting up a reason for the events that will unfold. It then never really does anything with this information until the last 15 minutes of the film and by then the "origin" of why this is all happening seems both very thin and very rushed. I might have actually liked it better if they didn't even bother to try to explain it. Lastly the final reveal was obvious to me, I think the way the film is structured just telegraphs it. I was SURE how it was gonna end by about the 10 minute mark. The film was well produced but it just didn't grab me at all.

This is of course just my opinion, judge for yourself. I will say that I thought the music was very effective and Nyong'o worked hard.

Katatonia and Cooperkill like this.
  17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

$70 million opening weekend. Supposedly the largest opening weekend for an original horror film, and the second largest opening weekend for a live-action original film of any genre after Avatar (which is basically a cartoon anyway).

I'm a bit shocked by some of the negative reactions, as this is exactly the type of movie you would think would make horror fans giddy. I'm still thinking about it, and I can't wait to see it again. There are so many neat little clues and visual cues I'm looking back and picking up on, from a strategically placed C.H.U.D. VHS, to a game of whack-a-mole, even down to the villain's attire (red jumpsuit and a single glove). Even going back and just watching the trailer, and picking up on cute little nods like the decal on the rear car window or the overhead shot with their shadows in the sand. I loved it, and thought everything about it was so well done.

dave13 likes this.
  18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I didn't care for this one at all either. Too many ridiculous scenarios with absolutely no explanation of anything. Also why does Peele have to keep pulling M. Night Shyamalan endings?

Katatonia and Cooperkill like this.
  19. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I'm glad you brought that up. Shyamalan is exactly who I thought about when watching Us. Some might be comparing Peele to Hitchcock and all the greats, but they need to slow down. They did the same exact thing with Shyamalan after The Sixth Sense, and that guy has far more duds than winners. I'm hoping for whatever's best for horror, but to me Get Out is good not great, and Us is clearly riding on that film's monumental success. I actually prefer the one-two punch of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.

Katatonia and russweiss like this.
  20. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

I thought Get Out was well made but a bit... tame? I mean, I can understand teens who haven't seen much horror from the golden times freaking out a bit, but seasoned horror fans?

That's why I'm dreading to go watch Us, like Get Out I want to see it at my friend's house when he decides to watch it on VOD