Ju On DVD Help

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dwatts, Oct 31, 2004.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Damn, I went to buy this tonight, and now I have seen at least three versions. Which is the best one to get image quality wise? And what is this "4 disc set"?

2. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I think the 4 disc is the 2 tv series programs and the 2 movies. :) I don't know which is the best quality wise though.

3. I was at my dvd store and found that they had the version of Ju-on that gets released on Nov. 9th on the shelf, so I grabbed it, I'm going to watch it later.

4. this north america release one has Sam Raimi commentary....that's be like Cameron Crowe commentary on Abre Los Ojos or Christopher Nolan doing commentary on Insomnia (the Norweigian film)...it'd be alot of: "yeah well that scene was cool so I thought it should be remade"*

*-I'm not against remakes but I think Raimi should comment on the remake and not on the original (which he had nothing to do with)

5. At least with the remake Raimi gave Takashi Shimizu creative control and it's not really the same as Nolan with Insomnia simply because Raimi didn't direct it. It's nice to at least have a commentary track on the disc. It's a possibility that Shimizu and any of the films actors speak little to no english as well.

Oh, and the remake of Insomnia is a piece of crap. I have yet to see the original, but it can't be any worse than that garbage.

6. even if he spoke broken English I'd prefer Shimizu do a commentary...Dario Argento and Jorg Buttgereit did for their films (Dario may know english but he doesn't sound as intelligent or articulate when speaking english)

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Actually, it's their thoughts I want to hear, not necessarily their voices. I don't mind someone else doing the commentary at all, actually, i'd love more critic commentaries.

8. Nonhosonno

Nonhosonno Guest

9. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

That's the Thai version. Very nice and happens to be the one I have:)

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

i seen on ebay that there is a "ju-on the prequel" dvd which combines the first two films (curse 1 & 2) into a single movie. anyway, the buy it now option is quite high IMO and was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap alternative; cheap being less than $20 and preferrably here in the US.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Speaking of Ju-On, did anyone find the chronology a tad bit confusing?
    Specifically the Ex-Cop / Daughter parts. What puzzles me is when the Dad is in the house, about to burn it down and he hears people upstairs, is he already dead at that point? Why is there bright light when he see's his daughter? Also, how did the little girl he was originally seen with grow up so fast?
    I loved the atmosphere of this film, but I must say I found it frustrating trying to decypher certain stroy lines.

12. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

13. yeah it's the same kid in the three grudge film...the kid in the curse films isn't nearly as creepy

14. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

The same kid and girl for the US remake as well.

15. anyone else think that the kid looks like Akira (from the Akira graphic novels and movie of course)

16. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

He looks like every other japanese kid which I assume Akira was suppose to as well.

17. The_Tunneler

The_Tunneler Guest

the grudge or whatever

18. ....ummm...I think you're missing large portions of your sentence

19. Alexander

Alexander Guest

On Lions Gate’s release of the cultish Takashi Shimizu horror film 'Ju-On' the studio has hidden some extra material for you to uncover.

From the DVD’s Main Menu go to the 'Deleted Scenes' section and there highlight the entry 'Alternate Ending.' Now press the 'Up' arrow key on your remote control and a clock will be highlighted. Press the 'Enter' key now and you will be treated to 10minutes worth of ghost stories by candlelight from director Takashi Shimizu.