Junk DVDs

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by suspiria, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Gnaghi, who was responsible for putting the subtitles together for JUNK? I believe in the past you guys had relied on someone from the Japan side to do this. Just curious is all. I appreicate the work that you guys have done in releasing some of Japan's more sick and twisted works of art. The Guinea Pig series and Junk were released straight to video in Japan and I was one of the first to pick them up and they do not look any better then what you guys have put out. As proven by the print you received for Junk, these movies were made on shoestring budgets and seeing that makes me appreciate the work that went into making the film. It would probably cost you more to clean print up then it cost to make the film. Anusmorphically enhanced films make little difference to me as I am not a tech head. Keep up the good work, just make sure that dubbing is correct!

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2003
  2. Atmims

Atmims Guest

I really like your avatar Deaddevilman. It kicks major ass.

3. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

yeah, this is how I also feel.

i picked up the Junk DVD and thought it was fantastic, im gonna do a review for it later on

the thing i am most happy about is that they made a double side cover with the awesome original art on the outside

4. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Being in the video business, I can understand people wanting to see a product in it's best form, period. The fact that anamorphic releases will be better suited to people's future's needs is also a good argument. It's the reason you buy the best pc available at the time, so you don't have to upgrade as fast. For most of us, who don't have the equipment that takes full advantage of anamorphic transfers ie: widescreen tvs, it doesn't make much of a difference. A lot of times, I will buy a vcd of a film, because I don't want to make a big investment in a film, I might not even like. As for Junk, I bought the all-region German release for $12 a long time back, and though I liked the film, it is good enough for me. A lot of titles, if I do end up liking them, I upgrade, and if I hear good word of mouth from people I trust, I take a chance and buy the dvd outright. So, you see, it isn't a big issue with everyone!

5. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

so....er......Has anybody seen the UK 'JUNK' release from ArtsMAgic who've also recently put out Wild Zero and Uzumaki in anamorphic transfers?

I saw the german 'Asian FIlm Network' DVD of JUNK and found it to be appalingly bad. Now the r1 isn't anamorphic, so that leave ArtsMAgic, but their past reputation is one of very bad quality releases. I guess nobody's seen it?

6. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

hang on.....So you're saying that it's OAR is less wide than 1.78:1? If that's the case, then leaving it non-anamorphic is fair enough (All TV makers should have the sense to include variable zooms for films with odd ratios). What's the ratio on the Unearhted version then?

7. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

same as the arts magic one. just they took the letterboxed version and cut out the black bars to make it stretch. ours has the letterbox.

ours is on the left:

[​IMG]

of course the pics aren't exact. i had to scale and stretch the anamorphic one to match the letterboxed one.

8. my views on Junk

I remember reading so many bad things about JUNK, but when I finally saw the DVD I was totally blown away! Wow! I haven't had this much fun watching a newer horror film in a long time. This sucker was gory as hell, and lots of fun. Somebody said this was a film you can't watch more than once....I say....what movie were you watching? I liked this film even more than Versus since it had more of an "old-school" feel/look to it. This movie was a million times better than Dagon, The Convent, and some of the other more recent horror films that I tried to enjoy but just couldn't.

Great job Unearthed, the DVD was excellent and it had some nice extras too. Screw all the technobabble. I was raised on bootleg videos and I never complained back then, and I'm not gonna complain now.

9. DefJeff

10. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    From Gorezone.net:

Unearthed Films update: Unearthed is is doing great. Had our 1st battle with the MPAA for Junk for the Blockbuster and Hollywood release. Talk about pain in the ass. JUNK was rated NC-17 and we had to cut ONE scene in the film for a R Rating. Don't worry though. The DVD's of JUNK available at all major stores and online is the UNCUT version. We just had to cut the version for the rental versions for Blockbuster and Hollywood rental outlets. They won't be sold, just rented to the masses. We also had problems with the MPAA for the DVD covers. On the DVD of JUNK we have a flip cover. One with the chick with a hunk of meat in her mouth and the flip side is a bunch of zombies. The MPAA BANNED both versions so we had to make a couple of other versions of the covers for the Rated R release. Talk about a pain in the ass.

11. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Once again the MPAA decides what is right for America to view. At least Unearthed put up fight....for a bit.

12. DefJeff

heh, im interested in what the alternate covers are and what scene was cut...

13. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

check out the news post on our site jeff. looks like we will go with the fire face one though with a mouth added. and the scene cut was when ramon was shot in the head... you know how his head spews out all that blood, that part is what's cut.

14. DefJeff

all of those covers are acutally pretty good

i espeically like the 2nd one from the left

[​IMG]

15. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

Thanks for the info & pics Gnaghi, but I can't really say there's much difference int he images. Both the Unearthed & ArtsMagic ones look as good as each other, just slightly different. It's nice to see there's two good releases of this film out now!

16. KillSwitch

KillSwitch Guest

I just ordered this mofo! :) It better be damn good and gorey! :evil:

Nick

17. Rainbowthief

Rainbowthief Guest

[​IMG]
    Wow, I really love this cover the most! I think it's way better than the uncensored ones. Wish I could buy the film uncut with this cover.

18. NickyDoyle

NickyDoyle Guest

Just finished watching Junk last night and was very impressed by it. The movie definitly had the feel of a Fulci or Romero flick, and the acting was good too (especially by Miha, who played Kyoko/Zombie Queen.) Anamorphic or not, the picture was pretty sharp. Of course, I would've perferred anamorphic, but as was mentioned before, better to have a vibrant non-anamorphic then a dull anamorphic picture.

Great disk Gnaghi; keep 'em coming.

19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I am 28 years old and had to watch a lot of bootlegged VHS/Beta copies in order to see films uncut. After years of dealing with 4th generation bootlegs, I cannot see how it is that big of a deal if the film is 4:3 or does not have 5.1 audio. Chances are, if it is on DVD, it will be a lot better than the versions I watched back in the day. So hats of Unearthed Films and other compainies like it who do a phenominal job regardless of whether the film is 4:3. And keep in mind that I did blow $5000 on a 16:9 television!

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Just saw this for the first time - I have the UK version. The picture quality was okay to good. Nothing special.

Someone else wrote: "harkens back to the Euro zombie films". That says it all. Nothing original here at all - but no-one seems to be making these films anymore, so what the hey.

Worth buying? Well, if you're a zombie film fan - yes. No doubt about it. It's not complex, it's not deep, and they steal boatloads from Fulci. That's a GOOD thing by the way :)

Go get it!